Converting Clie PEG-S300 cradle

Tags:
July 1, 2004 5:10:16 PM

Hello,

Years ago, I converted my Sony Clie PEG S-300 cradle from USB to
Serial, in order to use it under Linux. Since then, I've lost
my notes (during a move), and want to convert it back. I believe
there were two little mods (other that changing the cable). One
was adding a resistor (which I removed.) I have html copies of two
to websites which no longer exist. (One is a link to the defunct
http://sawada.dyn.to/clie/cradle.html (From google cache years ago.) It
uses charset shift_JIS, which I assume is japanese. The other is Chinese.
Without the pictures,

Is there anyone who knows what the modification entailed, precisely?

Thanks,

July 4, 2004 11:01:17 AM

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 13:10:16 GMT, Dave <dfnr2@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Years ago, I converted my Sony Clie PEG S-300 cradle from USB to
>Serial, in order to use it under Linux. Since then, I've lost
>my notes (during a move), and want to convert it back. I believe
>there were two little mods (other that changing the cable). One
>was adding a resistor (which I removed.) I have html copies of two
>to websites which no longer exist. (One is a link to the defunct
>http://sawada.dyn.to/clie/cradle.html (From google cache years ago.) It
>uses charset shift_JIS, which I assume is japanese. The other is Chinese.
> Without the pictures,
>
>Is there anyone who knows what the modification entailed, precisely?

I got this from a saved page about making a serial cable for the S300,
maybe this can help you reversing the process for the cradle?

************************ begin quote *************************
I just bought a Sony Clié at PalmSource ... and I really hate USB so I
build a serial HotSync cable for my Clié. I'm not very good in
building electrical stuff so if I can build it, you can build it too.
If you break anything (cable, connectors, Clié device, etc...) while
building (testing, etc...) the cable I don't take any respossibility.

I used the device connector from the USB HotSync cable that came with
the Travel Kit. Sony is very nice, the connector is screwed and all
pins are in the connector (the USB cable only uses 4 so you have pins
9 left and we only need 6).

If you look into Sony's specs of the Clié (www.us.sonypdadev.com) you
see that you need 1.0V on pin 12 of the device to activate the serial
port hardware. If you check the pin you see that the port supplies
about 2.5V so we just connect a resistor to it and the ground (GND pin
13). I used a 47K ohm resistor (gives me about 0.97V) wich works
perfect for me. I put the resistor into the 9-DB-F connector box
because the device connector was to small for a nice job. Thats also
the reason for the cable on pin 12 that you can see on the picture
below.

comments, feedback, bugs: palm@mulliner.org

Otherwise, I've a saved translation of Sawada's instructions, I've
uploaded it for you here:
http://euroclie.free.fr/Cradle/translate.html
with the Japanese original version (copy) here:
http://euroclie.free.fr/Cradle/cradle.html

I hope this will be enough, otherwise let me know, I may still have
some related files lying somewhere in my backups... ;-)

Patrick Robbe
!