HELP!!! I Created a file that won't delete!

DivineWrath

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2001
I created a large BIN file (800MB) and now WindowsXP won't let me delete it. I've tried deleting it, renaming it, moving it... and I always get the same responce: "Cannot delete: It is being used by another person or program.Close any programs that might be using this file and try again."
I've rebooted my system at least 12 times, signed in as different users, closed all non-system programs that were running, tried to delete in safe-mode, command-prompt and debugging mode. My drive is formatted NTFS, so I can't use a boot disk.
The file is causing my computer to slow to a crawl.

Any suggestions?

(It's in XP Pro and my user name is the administrator.)

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Uninstall the program you made it with.

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
What about holding down the left shift key while pressing delete? Maybe the real problem is that it's too big for the recycle bin? Just a thought...

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
XP won't send it to the recycle bin if it's too big, it'll just ask you if you want to permenantly delete it. I was using daemon tools to run some iso's and I had to uninstall it to delete them for some reason since it wouldn't let them go hehe.

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>

groth2757

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
And if none of this works a fresh OS install is always a happy thing to think about!!! hehehe

:tongue: <font color=red>When overclocking always be sure to wear clean underwear!</font color=red>' :tongue:

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
seems odd that its slowing down your system (unless you are low on hdd space), what program created it? I cant think why it would not allow you to delete it, unless maybe its a virtual cd drive or somthing? there HAS to be a service running that isnt allowing this to be deleted, have a look in services and see if you can locate it.

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

Snorklis

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
It happend me once too. My solution was to ignore the file for a few hours.. And did other stuff then just using the computer.. when I came back it was possible to delete the file.. :)