Corsair XMS PC3200 or Basic OCZ PC3500 for IC7?

Montoya

Distinguished
May 3, 2003
Im looking for some nice value for money memory for the ABit IC7 with OC'ing in mind. I can get what they call Basic OCZ PC3500 (not OCZ EL DDR PC3500) cheaper than what i can get Corsair XMS PC3200. Which should i go for? OR would Kingston 3200 CL2 be a good option to?

thanks

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
Definently the Corsair without a doubt. You will only be able to get very lean timings with that OCZ memory.
AREA_51

'It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames'

HardCoreCooling

Distinguished
May 13, 2003
Get OCZ PC3500 EL DDR.

--------------------------------------------------
#1 Source for tweaked out Computer Parts
<A HREF="http://www.hardcorecooling.us" target="_new">HardCoreCooling</A>

FallOutBoyTonto

Distinguished
May 6, 2003
wow, two people recommending different things. I'm also interested in this thread, and am hoping for more opinions. I'll be upgrading soon and am going to use the MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR mobo but still don't know which RAM to use. I know I want at least CAS 2. What do yall think about Corsair TWIN-X 1024-3200LL?

RCPilot

Champion
Well there you go, a third opinion. I'd recommend Kingston Hyper X. It's fast RAM & can be pushed hard. It's cheaper than the other 2 choices I believe. I really like it.

If it ain't broke, take it apart & see why not!

Ryan_Plus_One

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2003
Definately get the corsair! Like said above, the OCZ will have poor timings compared to the corsair. Memory settings have a bigger impact on performance than you'd think. For the FSB speeds that I imagine you will use, the corsair will give you much better performance even though the OCZ has a DDR433 rating.

Kingston HyperX is very competitive to the corsair and the prices are very similar. In my opinion, OCZ = poo, especially the mid range OCZ that you are mentioning.

Whoever said to get the OCZ needs to get hit on the head with a tac hammer. It would be good if you were on a tight budget, but comparing performance isn't really a contest.

Prof133

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2003
Im looking for some nice value for money memory for the ABit IC7 with OC'ing in mind. I can get what they call Basic OCZ PC3500 (not OCZ EL DDR PC3500) cheaper than what i can get Corsair XMS PC3200.
Corsair is recommending XMS PC3200 C2 and XMS PC3500 C2 for use with the canterwood chipset. I'm having trouble finding information about OCZ memory/Canterwood compatibility. Maybe someone has some info?

I would opt for the Corsair XMS PC3200 C2 among the two listed.

TechGamer

Distinguished
May 19, 2003
i was faced with the same problem, but i decided on the corsair xms......i also purchased the same motherboard with it.....i just ordered them this morning so hopefully by next week and can tell ya how good the corsair xms and msi mobo work together