Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

(Apologies for the crosspost, not 100% sure where to put this one)

I have a MN-700 broadband wireless router which is used with a number of
different notebook and desktop adapters. Until recently I've been using WEP
for encryption, but recently tried using WPA as I finally had all
WPA-compliant hardware.

The problem is that my wife's system (HP Pavilion ze5300 notebook, Windows
XP Home Edition, fully patched and updated) won't restore the connection on
resuming from standby while using WPA. I tried a D-Link G630 card and a
Motorola WN825G card - both refuse to re-connect when resuming from standby.
Repair does not work, nor does disabling and re-enabling the connection.
Only a reboot restores it.

What's strange about this is that if I turn off WPA and return to WEP, both
PCMCIA cards work perfectly. On resuming from standby both work just fine -
no problems.

"Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote:
>The problem is that my wife's system (HP Pavilion ze5300 notebook, Windows
>XP Home Edition, fully patched and updated) won't restore the connection on
>resuming from standby while using WPA.

That may be the same problem I was having recently, there's something
not quite right with WinXP Home Wifi...

--
William Smith

I have the same type of problems with the following set-
up:

* Compaq Presario Notebook
* Win XP Pro (same problem w/Home edition)
* SMC Access Point
* Microsoft MN-720 Notebook Adapter
* Currently using Internet Connection Sharing

Connection established upon boot up.

Here is what happens when I move the notebook to a new
location:
* Connection breaks (even if moved by just 5ft).
* All attempts to re-establish are fruitless, even while
the utility shows an available connection with SSID and
all. Nothing works (even repair doesn't). I even turned
off the system power save feature for this device.
* Can re-establish connection only by re-booting the
notebook.

Have an older notebook running Win 98 (with a different
card), and this works beautiful. Connection will only
break if I take the notebook out of range. Back in range
and I can restore the connection with ease.

Another big problem is when connecting to other wireless
systems (such as those found in hotels, bookstores, etc.)
When I get back to my small home office network, I have
to re-configure my notebook all over again.

VERY FRUSTATING, AND TAKING AWAY LOTS OF PRODUCTIVE TIME.

Regards,

do you have this problem with OTHER wireless routers or just the 700?

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

Joe

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

I have had the same experience. Basically it is like the syncronization of
the WPA key gets off or corrupted when you enter standby. Also the same
type of key error occurs when you drop connection due to interference such
as 2.4G phones. If you look I be you are getting the "Incorrect Security
Key" error coming out of standby.

I also would like to use WPA but currently use WEP for the same reasons as
the others here.

If anyone can fix this, I'm buying!
Regards,
Joe

> (Apologies for the crosspost, not 100% sure where to put this one)
>
> I have a MN-700 broadband wireless router which is used with a number of
> different notebook and desktop adapters. Until recently I've been using
WEP
> for encryption, but recently tried using WPA as I finally had all
> WPA-compliant hardware.
>
> The problem is that my wife's system (HP Pavilion ze5300 notebook, Windows
> XP Home Edition, fully patched and updated) won't restore the connection
on
> resuming from standby while using WPA. I tried a D-Link G630 card and a
> Motorola WN825G card - both refuse to re-connect when resuming from
standby.
> Repair does not work, nor does disabling and re-enabling the connection.
> Only a reboot restores it.
>
> What's strange about this is that if I turn off WPA and return to WEP,
both
> PCMCIA cards work perfectly. On resuming from standby both work just
fine -
> no problems.

The MN-700 is the only one I have that supports WPA.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Win9x] rgharper@email.com

"Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
> do you have this problem with OTHER wireless routers or just the 700?
>
> On Sun, 30 May 2004 19:33:44 -0400, "Richard G. Harper"
> <rgharper@email.com> wrote:
>
> >(Apologies for the crosspost, not 100% sure where to put this one)
> >
> >I have a MN-700 broadband wireless router which is used with a number of
> >different notebook and desktop adapters. Until recently I've been using
WEP
> >for encryption, but recently tried using WPA as I finally had all
> >WPA-compliant hardware.
> >
> >The problem is that my wife's system (HP Pavilion ze5300 notebook,
Windows
> >XP Home Edition, fully patched and updated) won't restore the connection
on
> >resuming from standby while using WPA. I tried a D-Link G630 card and a
> >Motorola WN825G card - both refuse to re-connect when resuming from
standby.
> >Repair does not work, nor does disabling and re-enabling the connection.
> >Only a reboot restores it.
> >
> >What's strange about this is that if I turn off WPA and return to WEP,
both
> >PCMCIA cards work perfectly. On resuming from standby both work just
fine -
> >no problems.
> >

> --
> Barb Bowman
> Expert Zone Columnist
> MS-MVP (Windows)

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

What router or access point device is involved in your situation?

"Joe" <jdemers4518@charter.net> wrote in message
>I have had the same experience. Basically it is like the syncronization of
> the WPA key gets off or corrupted when you enter standby. Also the same
> type of key error occurs when you drop connection due to interference such
> as 2.4G phones. If you look I be you are getting the "Incorrect Security
> Key" error coming out of standby.
>
> I also would like to use WPA but currently use WEP for the same reasons as
> the others here.
>
> If anyone can fix this, I'm buying!
> Regards,
> Joe
>
> "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote in message
>> (Apologies for the crosspost, not 100% sure where to put this one)
>>
>> I have a MN-700 broadband wireless router which is used with a number of
>> different notebook and desktop adapters. Until recently I've been using
> WEP
>> for encryption, but recently tried using WPA as I finally had all
>> WPA-compliant hardware.
>>
>> The problem is that my wife's system (HP Pavilion ze5300 notebook,
>> Windows
>> XP Home Edition, fully patched and updated) won't restore the connection
> on
>> resuming from standby while using WPA. I tried a D-Link G630 card and a
>> Motorola WN825G card - both refuse to re-connect when resuming from
> standby.
>> Repair does not work, nor does disabling and re-enabling the connection.
>> Only a reboot restores it.
>>
>> What's strange about this is that if I turn off WPA and return to WEP,
> both
>> PCMCIA cards work perfectly. On resuming from standby both work just
> fine -
>> no problems.

there are some issues with the XP SP2 betas w/WPA. i don't have any
specifics on a fix.

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 06:00:35 -0400, "Richard G. Harper"
<rgharper@email.com> wrote:

>The MN-700 is the only one I have that supports WPA.

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist
MS-MVP (Windows)

Not running that here, Barb. Sorry. :)

This is a vanilla WinXP SP1 install, fully updated, nothing oddball on it.
Heck, just WinXP Home and Microsoft Office 2000, not even a game or other
piece of third-party software.

(It's my wife's computer, that's why it's so clean. <G>)

It hibernates and resumes fine with WEP or no encryption, just WPA throws it
for a loop.

--

> there are some issues with the XP SP2 betas w/WPA. i don't have any
> specifics on a fix.
>
> On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 06:00:35 -0400, "Richard G. Harper"
> <rgharper@email.com> wrote:
>
> >The MN-700 is the only one I have that supports WPA.
>
> --
> Barb Bowman
> Expert Zone Columnist
> MS-MVP (Windows)

can you call the support folks and get a SR# and post it here? it is
obviously a bug...

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

Joe

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

The router is the MN700 used as access point and router.

"Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
> What router or access point device is involved in your situation?
>
> "Joe" <jdemers4518@charter.net> wrote in message
> >I have had the same experience. Basically it is like the syncronization
of
> > the WPA key gets off or corrupted when you enter standby. Also the same
> > type of key error occurs when you drop connection due to interference
such
> > as 2.4G phones. If you look I be you are getting the "Incorrect
Security
> > Key" error coming out of standby.
> >
> > I also would like to use WPA but currently use WEP for the same reasons
as
> > the others here.
> >
> > If anyone can fix this, I'm buying!
> > Regards,
> > Joe
> >
> > "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote in message
> >> (Apologies for the crosspost, not 100% sure where to put this one)
> >>
> >> I have a MN-700 broadband wireless router which is used with a number
of
> >> different notebook and desktop adapters. Until recently I've been
using
> > WEP
> >> for encryption, but recently tried using WPA as I finally had all
> >> WPA-compliant hardware.
> >>
> >> The problem is that my wife's system (HP Pavilion ze5300 notebook,
> >> Windows
> >> XP Home Edition, fully patched and updated) won't restore the
connection
> > on
> >> resuming from standby while using WPA. I tried a D-Link G630 card and
> >> Motorola WN825G card - both refuse to re-connect when resuming from
> > standby.
> >> Repair does not work, nor does disabling and re-enabling the
connection.
> >> Only a reboot restores it.
> >>
> >> What's strange about this is that if I turn off WPA and return to WEP,
> > both
> >> PCMCIA cards work perfectly. On resuming from standby both work just
> > fine -
> >> no problems.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

I believe we've had this conversation in another thread, but:

I believe this is a bug--perhaps in the MN-700 firmware. My understanding
is that this needs to await a firmware rev for the MN-700, which I
understand will eventually be forthcoming.

Although I own an MN-700, I am embarassed to say I don't know what the
support agreement says--if you can call Microsoft on this one, without
spending $, I recommend doing so--I believe they'll bear out what I'm
saying, and maybe you can relay that back to the groups here.