WPA Oddity

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

(Apologies for the crosspost, not 100% sure where to put this one)

I have a MN-700 broadband wireless router which is used with a number of
different notebook and desktop adapters. Until recently I've been using WEP
for encryption, but recently tried using WPA as I finally had all
WPA-compliant hardware.

The problem is that my wife's system (HP Pavilion ze5300 notebook, Windows
XP Home Edition, fully patched and updated) won't restore the connection on
resuming from standby while using WPA. I tried a D-Link G630 card and a
Motorola WN825G card - both refuse to re-connect when resuming from standby.
Repair does not work, nor does disabling and re-enabling the connection.
Only a reboot restores it.

What's strange about this is that if I turn off WPA and return to WEP, both
PCMCIA cards work perfectly. On resuming from standby both work just fine -
no problems.
11 answers Last reply
More about oddity
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

    "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote:
    >The problem is that my wife's system (HP Pavilion ze5300 notebook, Windows
    >XP Home Edition, fully patched and updated) won't restore the connection on
    >resuming from standby while using WPA.

    That may be the same problem I was having recently, there's something
    not quite right with WinXP Home Wifi...

    --
    William Smith

    I have the same type of problems with the following set-
    up:

    * Compaq Presario Notebook
    * Win XP Pro (same problem w/Home edition)
    * SMC Access Point
    * Microsoft MN-720 Notebook Adapter
    * Currently using Internet Connection Sharing

    Connection established upon boot up.

    Here is what happens when I move the notebook to a new
    location:
    * Connection breaks (even if moved by just 5ft).
    * All attempts to re-establish are fruitless, even while
    the utility shows an available connection with SSID and
    all. Nothing works (even repair doesn't). I even turned
    off the system power save feature for this device.
    * Can re-establish connection only by re-booting the
    notebook.

    Have an older notebook running Win 98 (with a different
    card), and this works beautiful. Connection will only
    break if I take the notebook out of range. Back in range
    and I can restore the connection with ease.

    Another big problem is when connecting to other wireless
    systems (such as those found in hotels, bookstores, etc.)
    When I get back to my small home office network, I have
    to re-configure my notebook all over again.

    VERY FRUSTATING, AND TAKING AWAY LOTS OF PRODUCTIVE TIME.

    Regards,

    do you have this problem with OTHER wireless routers or just the 700?

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    I have had the same experience. Basically it is like the syncronization of
    the WPA key gets off or corrupted when you enter standby. Also the same
    type of key error occurs when you drop connection due to interference such
    as 2.4G phones. If you look I be you are getting the "Incorrect Security
    Key" error coming out of standby.

    I also would like to use WPA but currently use WEP for the same reasons as
    the others here.

    If anyone can fix this, I'm buying!
    Regards,
    Joe

    > (Apologies for the crosspost, not 100% sure where to put this one)
    >
    > I have a MN-700 broadband wireless router which is used with a number of
    > different notebook and desktop adapters. Until recently I've been using
    WEP
    > for encryption, but recently tried using WPA as I finally had all
    > WPA-compliant hardware.
    >
    > The problem is that my wife's system (HP Pavilion ze5300 notebook, Windows
    > XP Home Edition, fully patched and updated) won't restore the connection
    on
    > resuming from standby while using WPA. I tried a D-Link G630 card and a
    > Motorola WN825G card - both refuse to re-connect when resuming from
    standby.
    > Repair does not work, nor does disabling and re-enabling the connection.
    > Only a reboot restores it.
    >
    > What's strange about this is that if I turn off WPA and return to WEP,
    both
    > PCMCIA cards work perfectly. On resuming from standby both work just
    fine -
    > no problems.

    The MN-700 is the only one I have that supports WPA.

    --
    Richard G. Harper [MVP Win9x] rgharper@email.com

    "Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > do you have this problem with OTHER wireless routers or just the 700?
    >
    > On Sun, 30 May 2004 19:33:44 -0400, "Richard G. Harper"
    > <rgharper@email.com> wrote:
    >
    > >(Apologies for the crosspost, not 100% sure where to put this one)
    > >
    > >I have a MN-700 broadband wireless router which is used with a number of
    > >different notebook and desktop adapters. Until recently I've been using
    WEP
    > >for encryption, but recently tried using WPA as I finally had all
    > >WPA-compliant hardware.
    > >
    > >The problem is that my wife's system (HP Pavilion ze5300 notebook,
    Windows
    > >XP Home Edition, fully patched and updated) won't restore the connection
    on
    > >resuming from standby while using WPA. I tried a D-Link G630 card and a
    > >Motorola WN825G card - both refuse to re-connect when resuming from
    standby.
    > >Repair does not work, nor does disabling and re-enabling the connection.
    > >Only a reboot restores it.
    > >
    > >What's strange about this is that if I turn off WPA and return to WEP,
    both
    > >PCMCIA cards work perfectly. On resuming from standby both work just
    fine -
    > >no problems.
    > >

    > --
    > Barb Bowman
    > Expert Zone Columnist
    > MS-MVP (Windows)
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

    What router or access point device is involved in your situation?

    "Joe" <jdemers4518@charter.net> wrote in message
    >I have had the same experience. Basically it is like the syncronization of
    > the WPA key gets off or corrupted when you enter standby. Also the same
    > type of key error occurs when you drop connection due to interference such
    > as 2.4G phones. If you look I be you are getting the "Incorrect Security
    > Key" error coming out of standby.
    >
    > I also would like to use WPA but currently use WEP for the same reasons as
    > the others here.
    >
    > If anyone can fix this, I'm buying!
    > Regards,
    > Joe
    >
    > "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote in message
    >> (Apologies for the crosspost, not 100% sure where to put this one)
    >>
    >> I have a MN-700 broadband wireless router which is used with a number of
    >> different notebook and desktop adapters. Until recently I've been using
    > WEP
    >> for encryption, but recently tried using WPA as I finally had all
    >> WPA-compliant hardware.
    >>
    >> The problem is that my wife's system (HP Pavilion ze5300 notebook,
    >> Windows
    >> XP Home Edition, fully patched and updated) won't restore the connection
    > on
    >> resuming from standby while using WPA. I tried a D-Link G630 card and a
    >> Motorola WN825G card - both refuse to re-connect when resuming from
    > standby.
    >> Repair does not work, nor does disabling and re-enabling the connection.
    >> Only a reboot restores it.
    >>
    >> What's strange about this is that if I turn off WPA and return to WEP,
    > both
    >> PCMCIA cards work perfectly. On resuming from standby both work just
    > fine -
    >> no problems.

    there are some issues with the XP SP2 betas w/WPA. i don't have any
    specifics on a fix.

    On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 06:00:35 -0400, "Richard G. Harper"
    <rgharper@email.com> wrote:

    >The MN-700 is the only one I have that supports WPA.

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist
    MS-MVP (Windows)
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    Not running that here, Barb. Sorry. :-)

    This is a vanilla WinXP SP1 install, fully updated, nothing oddball on it.
    Heck, just WinXP Home and Microsoft Office 2000, not even a game or other
    piece of third-party software.

    (It's my wife's computer, that's why it's so clean. <G>)

    It hibernates and resumes fine with WEP or no encryption, just WPA throws it
    for a loop.

    --

    > there are some issues with the XP SP2 betas w/WPA. i don't have any
    > specifics on a fix.
    >
    > On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 06:00:35 -0400, "Richard G. Harper"
    > <rgharper@email.com> wrote:
    >
    > >The MN-700 is the only one I have that supports WPA.
    >
    > --
    > Barb Bowman
    > Expert Zone Columnist
    > MS-MVP (Windows)
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    can you call the support folks and get a SR# and post it here? it is
    obviously a bug...

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    The router is the MN700 used as access point and router.

    "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
    > What router or access point device is involved in your situation?
    >
    > "Joe" <jdemers4518@charter.net> wrote in message
    > >I have had the same experience. Basically it is like the syncronization
    of
    > > the WPA key gets off or corrupted when you enter standby. Also the same
    > > type of key error occurs when you drop connection due to interference
    such
    > > as 2.4G phones. If you look I be you are getting the "Incorrect
    Security
    > > Key" error coming out of standby.
    > >
    > > I also would like to use WPA but currently use WEP for the same reasons
    as
    > > the others here.
    > >
    > > If anyone can fix this, I'm buying!
    > > Regards,
    > > Joe
    > >
    > > "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote in message
    > >> (Apologies for the crosspost, not 100% sure where to put this one)
    > >>
    > >> I have a MN-700 broadband wireless router which is used with a number
    of
    > >> different notebook and desktop adapters. Until recently I've been
    using
    > > WEP
    > >> for encryption, but recently tried using WPA as I finally had all
    > >> WPA-compliant hardware.
    > >>
    > >> The problem is that my wife's system (HP Pavilion ze5300 notebook,
    > >> Windows
    > >> XP Home Edition, fully patched and updated) won't restore the
    connection
    > > on
    > >> resuming from standby while using WPA. I tried a D-Link G630 card and
    > >> Motorola WN825G card - both refuse to re-connect when resuming from
    > > standby.
    > >> Repair does not work, nor does disabling and re-enabling the
    connection.
    > >> Only a reboot restores it.
    > >>
    > >> What's strange about this is that if I turn off WPA and return to WEP,
    > > both
    > >> PCMCIA cards work perfectly. On resuming from standby both work just
    > > fine -
    > >> no problems.

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

    I believe we've had this conversation in another thread, but:

    I believe this is a bug--perhaps in the MN-700 firmware. My understanding
    is that this needs to await a firmware rev for the MN-700, which I
    understand will eventually be forthcoming.

    Although I own an MN-700, I am embarassed to say I don't know what the
    support agreement says--if you can call Microsoft on this one, without
    spending $, I recommend doing so--I believe they'll bear out what I'm
    saying, and maybe you can relay that back to the groups here.

    > The router is the MN700 used as access point and router.
    >

    > "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
    >> What router or access point device is involved in your situation?
    >>
    >> "Joe" <jdemers4518@charter.net> wrote in message
    >> >I have had the same experience. Basically it is like the syncronization
    > of
    >> > the WPA key gets off or corrupted when you enter standby. Also the
    >> > same
    >> > type of key error occurs when you drop connection due to interference
    > such
    >> > as 2.4G phones. If you look I be you are getting the "Incorrect
    > Security
    >> > Key" error coming out of standby.
    >> >
    >> > I also would like to use WPA but currently use WEP for the same reasons
    > as
    >> > the others here.
    >> >
    >> > If anyone can fix this, I'm buying!
    >> > Regards,