Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How to make all programs use a secondary partition?

Tags:
  • Clean Install
  • Partition
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
June 29, 2012 1:22:30 AM

I just did a clean install and created 2 partitions.... C and D. I meant D to be the Windows partition and C be my main. Well I messed up I guess lol.
I made 2 partitions C being 30gb(supposed to be 450gb) and D being the 450gb(supposed to be 30gb).
How do I switch partitions? Make C become D and vice versa?

Also, how do I make everything I download and install in the future use

More about : make programs secondary partition

a b $ Windows 7
June 29, 2012 1:59:40 AM

1) Windows (and some programs) like to be on the C: Windows is so fanatical on the point that it will kindly rename the partition for you if you assign it a different drive letter.

2) Be careful when setting something up that is not standard. Some things simply will not work, others will work with protest, and there is always the issue of confusing your drives, or running out of partition space, only to re-size the partitions, corrupt the disc in the process, and loose everything that is not backed up elsewhere (yes, I speak from experience... thankfully I back up like a maniac)

3) You can try to resize, rename, and manage your partitions via a program such as diskpart (my personal favorite), or partition master (if you get easily frightened by dos prompts). But as a general rule of thumb I would start over from scratch unless there is something on the parition that cannot easily be recreated.

Lastly; Stay away from unnecessary portioning of a drive. It gets messy quickly, and most of the time if you NEED to put stuff on a seperate partition (backups or other reasons), then really the data ought to be on a seperate physical drive in the first place.

For an example here is my setup:
c: SSD for Windows, programs, small files (documents, music, etc), and Adobe cache files
d: HDD for bulk files, and files not often accessed such as video, pictures, old projects, etc (this drive is normally asleep)
e: 2 HDDs in RAID1, this has the backup of my computer, my laptop, and my wife's computer. It also houses copies of the finished products of various projects that I want to keep, and also is used as my video drive when I am doing big video edits that will not fit on the SSD

Each drive has a use and a purpose, everything has a local backup (as well as DVD backup for important stuffs, and external HDD backup of everything), and the HDDs tend to stay in sleep mode most of the time (unless in use) to prolong their life.

Anywho, just food for thought. Hope it helps
m
l
June 29, 2012 2:03:33 AM

How do I put all the partitions back into c? Just make c my main drive only?
m
l
Related resources
June 29, 2012 5:21:29 AM

anyone?
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
June 29, 2012 5:42:42 AM

Download & Install Easeus Partition
http://download.cnet.com/EaseUS-Partition-Master-Home-E...
Go to the main page, delete 'D' ,select 'C''and simply slide the blue bar representing 'C' to the end of the window to accommodate the unallocated space left by removing 'D'
Click on 'Apply' and Voila!
Example,after deleting D http://prntscr.com/bahgz
After expanding C http://prntscr.com/bahk4
In that case 'F' was retained and renamed 'D'
a b $ Windows 7
June 29, 2012 1:53:53 PM

Do what dodger46 said
Just be sure to back up your data first. I have had more than one instance where this was unsuccessful. It normally works fine, but just back up your data to be safe.
m
l
June 29, 2012 5:40:40 PM

One partition is system and one is boot. There is no option to delete drive D.
m
l
June 29, 2012 5:43:20 PM

Oh!!!!! I got it! Yay! haha. Thank you everyone. One last question. Is there way to make everything default to a different partition than c?

If not, is there a way to put everything on C(Windows System and all) to drive D and make Drive C the default?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 29, 2012 9:15:36 PM

There's no great advantage in storing on another partition other than having all your data separate from C if you ever need to re-install Windows. After all, if the drive fails, you lose your data as well, best to use another drive for backup, internal or external. Preferably two and alternate important stuff. Also it's easy enough to save the likes of downloaded progs etc. to another partition using 'Save as'.
m
l
June 30, 2012 5:15:16 AM

Best answer selected by nexium.
m
l
!