HORRID Sprint PCS Customer Service Experience

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
July 12, 2005 10:17:59 AM

Damn!

I have been a Sprint PCS customer for years and, usually, have been
happy with the service. I rarely have to speak to Sprint themselves as
I do most account management online.

Yesterday, I turned on my phone and each time I went to use it, I would
get a message "Service Unavailable, Try Analog." When I switched to
Analog, no improvement as "Service Unavailable" was still the message I
received. I was unable to make ANY calls or receive any all day in my
home or office area. This caused me to have to stop at payphones a few
times during the day to contact my office. I am glad I didn't have an
emergency.

I decided to e-mail Sprint customer service yesterday to tell them
that, due to a problem with their network for the day, I was unable to
make calls and would appreciate some credit to my account to make up
for the trouble. I have never asked them for credits on anything
before.

A few hours later, I get THIS message back from customer support:

"Our network in your state is working perfectly fine, I checked. So,
you won't be getting any credit."

That was the tone used in the e-mail! I have the reps name, but won't
post it here. I couldn't beleive this guy was going to be curt with me
and call me (in essence) a lier! Heck, I have been a customer for
years, throw me a $5 credit, say you are sorry for the trouble and move
on... don't DEBATE the customer and call them a lier when they say they
can't make calls!

I wrote back saying I was stunned at the tone being used. I also asked
him to please share with me HIS explanation of why a customer would be
unable to make calls for a day if the network was not at fault when
their phone is almost new and was fine until then.

This morning, I was able to make and receive calls again. ODD, they had
no network trouble, but my phone suddenly couldn't make any calls on
Monday and was fine now and before!

I got a response back this morning from the same nasty rep that said "I
have given you $1.50 credit for one day without service." He did not
say he was sorry for his prior tone nor that share what he thought was
wrong if their network was not at fault. $1.50 credit is something, but
kinda still a slap in the face to someone who pays $50+ a month for
service.

Just plain annoying. The tone of this rep has trashed my feelings about
Sprint PCS. Was that really worth it for them?
July 12, 2005 11:45:19 AM

On 12 Jul 2005 06:17:59 -0700, "Ryan" <welziak@snet.net> wrote:

>Damn!
>
>I have been a Sprint PCS customer for years and, usually, have been
>happy with the service. I rarely have to speak to Sprint themselves as
>I do most account management online.
At most companies this is a plus but at Sprint this is a negative. As
far as they are concerned you have been a customer for years which
puts you into the "not likely to be leaving" file. You might think
that this sounds harsh but it works for them. They have all the proof
they need that this business model works. It is called shareholder
earnings. They know you aren't going anywhere.

>"Our network in your state is working perfectly fine, I checked. So,
>you won't be getting any credit."

Classic response to a customer. Management attitude always flows down
to the troops. The worst part is that the guy probably got a free
lunch at the support center for "funniest response to a customer."

Al
July 12, 2005 2:57:41 PM

i firmly believe that when they hire CS reps, they pick the 'worst' instead
of the 'best' candidate.
"Ryan" <welziak@snet.net> wrote in message

[...]

July 12, 2005 6:50:50 PM

Ryan wrote:

> This morning, I was able to make and receive calls again. ODD, they had
> no network trouble, but my phone suddenly couldn't make any calls on
> Monday and was fine now and before!

Any possibility that your phone is getting intermittently flaky?
Are there any other Sprint users in the same area to test with?

--
John Richards
Anonymous

Ryan wrote:

> Yesterday, I turned on my phone and each time I went to use it, I would
> get a message "Service Unavailable, Try Analog." When I switched to
> Analog, no improvement as "Service Unavailable" was still the message I
> received. I was unable to make ANY calls or receive any all day in my
> home or office area. This caused me to have to stop at payphones a few
> times during the day to contact my office. I am glad I didn't have an
> emergency.
>
> I decided to e-mail Sprint customer service yesterday to tell them
> that, due to a problem with their network for the day, I was unable to
> make calls and would appreciate some credit to my account to make up
> for the trouble.

You know, if both analog and Sprint networks weren't reachable, I'd be
more inclined to blame the phone. Cleary this isn't a network issue if
multiple carriers are unreachable in your area, unless some major
calamity had happened of the 9/11 scale. And even then, other users
would be affected, not just you.

> A few hours later, I get THIS message back from customer support:
>
> "Our network in your state is working perfectly fine, I checked. So,
> you won't be getting any credit.

> That was the tone used in the e-mail!

Well, what do you expect? While I can't speak for the tone you used in
your e-mail, I can infer from your demeanor here that it probably wasn't
so courteous. And if some CS guy gets an e-mail from some guy who
swears every network is existence is down when they're not, and he wants
a credit, what else is there to say?

Secondly, it's actually not common practice for carriers to just give
credits away, even for temporary outages UNLESS the outage is
significant (and we're talking close to several days or more). This is
because the rest of the month still warrants you an opportunity to use
all your alloted minutes in the plan.

I have the reps name, but won't
> post it here. I couldn't beleive this guy was going to be curt with me
> and call me (in essence) a lier!

He didn't call you a liar in the message. The network was up, he
checked it. And even by your own report of the problem, you could not
reach other carrier's networks on taht phone either. That generally
points to a handset issue, not a network issue. Being called mistaken
(which you were) and being called a liar are two different things.

> I wrote back saying I was stunned at the tone being used. I also asked
> him to please share with me HIS explanation of why a customer would be
> unable to make calls for a day if the network was not at fault when
> their phone is almost new and was fine until then.

Could be a number of things. Could be a transient environmental issue,
could be a software bug in the phone, could be a defective phone with an
intermittent antenna connection. But unless a whole slew of other users
were having issues too, then the idea of multiple networks down in the
absence of a substantial event to precipitate it is highly unlikely.

> I got a response back this morning from the same nasty rep that said "I
> have given you $1.50 credit for one day without service." He did not
> say he was sorry for his prior tone nor that share what he thought was
> wrong if their network was not at fault. $1.50 credit is something, but
> kinda still a slap in the face to someone who pays $50+ a month for
> service.
>
> Just plain annoying. The tone of this rep has trashed my feelings about
> Sprint PCS. Was that really worth it for them?

So to sum it up, you feel slighted because you have this half baked
theory about all CDMA and analog networks (including the ones Sprint has
no control over, mind you) in your area going bust all at once, and
Sprint won't coddle and support you on your theory, right?

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
July 12, 2005 8:02:38 PM

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 10:57:41 -0500, "stevie" <sf@dum.org> wrote:

>i firmly believe that when they hire CS reps, they pick the 'worst' instead
>of the 'best' candidate.

You wouldn't say that if you were able to see what kinds of people
come in off the street to apply for those jobs. Would you be eager to
take a job where a typical day includes being yelled at by strangers?

--
Paul Miner
July 12, 2005 8:02:39 PM

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 16:02:38 GMT, Paul Miner <pminer@elrancho.invalid>
wrote:

>You wouldn't say that if you were able to see what kinds of people
>come in off the street to apply for those jobs. Would you be eager to
>take a job where a typical day includes being yelled at by strangers?

You see, this is the problem with Sprint PCS. Why do you think that
these people are being yelled at? Could it be because the customer is
not treated as the most important asset the company has? I'll answer
that question myself.......YES!
If the CEO/COO thinks that the customers are simply a nuisance to deal
with in their quest to make money, how do you think the store
managers, store reps, csr managers, and csrs are going to feel about
the customers?
Most people that call in are already aware that they are calling a
company that doesn't follow its own policies and worse yet decides to
change the policies if they find that not following them isn't
screwing the customer enough!
And Paul............I am not a stranger ............I AM A CUSTOMER!

Al
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 11:41:11 PM

Paul Miner wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 10:57:41 -0500, "stevie" <sf@dum.org> wrote:
>
>> i firmly believe that when they hire CS reps, they pick the 'worst' instead
>> of the 'best' candidate.
>
> You wouldn't say that if you were able to see what kinds of people
> come in off the street to apply for those jobs. Would you be eager to
> take a job where a typical day includes being yelled at by strangers?

I'm sure they pick the best of the ones willing to work for $12 per hour.
You get what you pay for.

--
John Richards
Anonymous

John Richards wrote:

> I'm sure they pick the best of the ones willing to work for $12 per hour.
> You get what you pay for.

$12/hr isn't bad as an entry-level wage. That's $24K per year. If you're
just starting out in the job market or earning a second income for your
family, that might be plenty.

I guarantee you the idiots in CS right now are NOT being paid anywhere near
$12/hour.

--
JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 9:26:12 PM

Steve Sobol wrote:

> My major point was that Dell was offshoring CS and decided to turn around
> and bring the CS operation back to the US. They'd already done that by the
> time I bought my computers.

No, they've only done that for business accounts. Non-business customers
still have to talk to India.

--
John Richards
Anonymous

John Richards wrote:

>> My major point was that Dell was offshoring CS and decided to turn around
>> and bring the CS operation back to the US. They'd already done that by
>> the
>> time I bought my computers.
>
> No, they've only done that for business accounts. Non-business customers
> still have to talk to India.

That'd explain it.

I talk to customer service through the Higher Education Employee Purchase
Program because my wife got the PCs through EPP as a student of a university
partnered with Dell. That is *not* the same department that handles retail
customer service; retail customer service would have no record of my
purchase, only the people that handle higher-ed purchases would.

--
JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 12:05:59 AM

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 22:59:13 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
wrote:

>Paul Miner wrote:
>
>>>Hey, Gary Cahsee.
>>
>> It's Gary Forsee, and he took over after Bill Esry was ousted. Len
>> Lauer was never in that position.
>
>Duh. I don't know where I got Cahsee from. :D
>
>What's Forsee then? Lauer was CEO, IIRC, and I thought Forsee was the latest
>CEO.

I think Lauer is the President of Sprint PCS, while Forsee is (and
Esry was) the CEO of the mother ship, Sprint. And now with the
proposed Nextel merger, I have no idea who's going where because I
haven't been following closely.

--
Paul Miner
Anonymous

Paul Miner wrote:

> I think Lauer is the President of Sprint PCS,

Well, is he still there? I might be mistaken. I thought he was gone.

--
JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 7:52:30 AM

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 16:13:46 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
wrote:

>Paul Miner wrote:
>
>> I think Lauer is the President of Sprint PCS,
>
>Well, is he still there? I might be mistaken. I thought he was gone.

Yup, Len Lauer is still there. His job title is listed as President
and COO. His boss is Gary Forsee, who is listed as Chairman and CEO.

--
Paul Miner
Anonymous

Paul Miner wrote:

> Yup, Len Lauer is still there. His job title is listed as President
> and COO. His boss is Gary Forsee, who is listed as Chairman and CEO.

Well, I've ascribed much of the improvements over the past year or two to
Lauer. So I should probably assume the slippage in CS is his doing too.

I wonder how much of it is due to cost-cutting mandates from above.

I'm >< this close to calling corporate HQ and asking for him.
(Seriously. Though I don't think they'd let me talk to him.)

--
JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 9:14:02 PM

Steve Sobol wrote:

>> Yup, Len Lauer is still there. His job title is listed as President
>> and COO. His boss is Gary Forsee, who is listed as Chairman and CEO.
>
> Well, I've ascribed much of the improvements over the past year or two
> to Lauer. So I should probably assume the slippage in CS is his doing too.
>
> I wonder how much of it is due to cost-cutting mandates from above.
>
> I'm >< this close to calling corporate HQ and asking for him.
> (Seriously. Though I don't think they'd let me talk to him.)

I figured out why I thought it was Gary Cahsee. I was doing computer work at
a local high school, earlier this year. Students there have to take the
CAHSEE, the California High School Exit Exam.

Duh...

--
JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 5:32:00 AM

In article <1121174279.691153.234500@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"Ryan" <welziak@snet.net> writes:
[snip]

> Yesterday, I turned on my phone and each time I went to use it, I would
> get a message "Service Unavailable, Try Analog." When I switched to
> Analog, no improvement as "Service Unavailable" was still the message I
> received. I was unable to make ANY calls or receive any all day in my
> home or office area.
> times during the day to contact my office. I am glad I didn't have an
> emergency.
>
> I decided to e-mail Sprint customer service ...
[snip]

> A few hours later, I get THIS message back from customer support:
>
> "Our network in your state is working perfectly fine, I checked. So,
> you won't be getting any credit."
[snip]

I agree that the tone of the response was rather abrupt, but I
suspect the CS rep. was probably right. I had nearly the same thing
happen to me a few months ago, except analog roam still worked. I
called CS, got told it wasn't the network (which I naturally did not
believe), the problem seemed to correct itself ("Not the network,
eh?", I thought) and then it went out again. So I took the phone in
to a local store. It was the phone, all right. SPCS replaced it at
no charge and all was well.

The fact that your phone failed on both SPCS' network *and* analog,
and it failed across multiple cells, tells me it was probably the
fault of the phone in your case, as it was in mine.

--
Jim Seymour | "There is no expedient to which a man will not
jseymour@LinxNet.com | go to avoid the labor of thinking."

In article <Y8jCe.34854$8o.14368@fed1read03>,
"Mij Adyaw" <mijadyaw@nospam.net> writes:
> Sprint could even win customers by starting an ad campaign to bring jobs
> back to the USA.
[snip]

If doing so made their product more expensive, I think they'd lose
more customers than they'd gain. Don't over-estimate "loyalty" and
"patriotism" amongst USAians, I'm sorry to say. Hell, don't over-
estimate the intelligence or judgement of the average U.S. consumer.
On the whole, U.S. consumers rate pretty poorly in both areas.

There's a much better reason for SPCS and other U.S. companies to
stop the out-sourcing: Jobs for the people that buy their products so
they can afford to buy them. I cannot imagine to whom U.S. companies
think they're going to continue to sell their (often overly
expensive, compared to other parts of the world) products when the
people to whom they wish to sell them no longer hold jobs providing
them sufficiently high, or any, income with which to buy them.

Partly indirectly as a result of out-sourcing, out-sourcing being at
least partly responsible for mildly depressed compensation in my
field, my wife and I *rarely* buy much in the way of new, big-ticket
items, expensive services, etc. There are many, many things we'd
like to have. We simply cannot afford to buy them.

For my part in the food chain, as a consumer, I go out of my way to
"buy American" when it's possible. Unfortunately, that has become
exceedingly difficult as both a practical matter (many things simply
*have* no American-made counterparts anymore) and as an exercise in
rational judgement (sorry, Detroit, the imports are still whooping
you badly in quality and owner satisfaction). I'll even pay a bit
more, all else being equal (features, quality, customer service), for
U.S.-made product. But I'm unusual, I think, amongst USAians, in
this respect. IME the vast majority of U.S. consumers look to price
only. Like their employers (that are out-sourcing their jobs),
they're shooting themselves in the foot.

--
Jim Seymour | "There is hardly anything in the world that some
jseymour@LinxNet.com | man cannot make a little worse and sell a little
| man's lawful prey." - John Ruskin (1819-1900)
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 9:33:11 PM

Jim Seymour wrote:
> In article <Y8jCe.34854$8o.14368@fed1read03>,
> "Mij Adyaw" <mijadyaw@nospam.net> writes:
>> Sprint could even win customers by starting an ad campaign to bring jobs
>> back to the USA.
> [snip]
>
> If doing so made their product more expensive, I think they'd lose
> more customers than they'd gain. Don't over-estimate "loyalty" and
> "patriotism" amongst USAians, I'm sorry to say. Hell, don't over-
> estimate the intelligence or judgement of the average U.S. consumer.
> On the whole, U.S. consumers rate pretty poorly in both areas.

Sprint should give customers a choice. Want to have the option to
talk to US CSRs? Fine, your monthly bill will be $1.00 higher.
Want to save money? Talk to off-shored support.
It would be interesting to see which way people would opt.
I for one would gladly pay $1.00 per month extra in order to
have access to US-based support.

--
John Richards
May 19, 2009 9:55:21 PM

sprint does have a place in ky where i have called to. they speak english and the rep that i got her name well better not say but anyway i was having technical problems with dropped calls and problems with my bill and she foxed the phone and also gave me my money back where as i called before and so many problems with the cr. that agent was awesom
February 20, 2010 3:39:29 PM

Hello! I am going through some of the same problems as you, if not more. Could someone please let me know who I can speak to in the higher power of the this company about their toll free customer. I am not getting any help from thier sorry customer service reps with my problems. This really needs to stop, the only reason I have not left because they have the best unlimited plans out there right now. The problem is the customer service reps. Their attutides sucks they are not being trained correctly to do their jobs right. One customer service rep tells you one thing and when you call back again another rep tells you something totally different. Most of the time they do not know what they are talking about. The supervisors and the managements are just as stupid as the workers under them. I never had a problem in the sprint stores with customer. It's the toll free customer service that sucks, the people you can't see, that is the biggest problem.

Thank you

!