SprintPCS cuts off service

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
July 12, 2005 9:04:35 PM

My family have used 4 phones on SprintPCS for 7 years. 2 1/2 years ago
my son started his first job, after college and moved into his own
account, from mine.

He has paid his bills on time (they debit his bank account each month)
and uses his phone for work which quite often means he exceeds the
anytime minutes (Yes I know the new plans would fix this). This evening
his phone went dead and he called SprintPCS (landline) and they told
him he had exceeded some internal unannounced limit on his account
(around $200 I believe) so w/o notice they cut his phone service
PERIOD.
My question is why would SprintPCS act like this to a good customer who
pays on time and for whom they have permission to directly charge his
bank account? Especially when they could have called him up and offered
him the new flexible minute plans (his contract has just expired).
These new plans would also have meant that the money SprintPCS would be
charging him each month would fall considerably.

End result one good customer is really peeved. Add insult to this by
SprintPCS telling him they are unable to immediately reactivate his
account. It takes some time they say.

I've suggested he call them up and insist to speak to the "retention"
dept, as he clearly is considering ditching SprintPCS for another
service and has no contract now to hold him back. Also annoys me with
my 3 phones. How really silly can companies be.....And my contract has
just expired also.....

More about : sprintpcs cuts service

July 13, 2005 1:26:48 AM

Yes I acknowledge some of what you and others have said...but.....
Why cut off service w/o notice? What an insult.
Especially when authority to debit a bank account has been given. With
all bills paid on time over 2 1/2 years would it not be better
corporate policy to call the customer for a chat b4 cutting off
serivice w/o notice? Especially when the amount owed to SprintPCS is
actually an agregious over charge, per the new plans just installed
days ago by SprintPCS which probably would have reduced the billing by
maybe $100?
Did SprintPCS actually update their credit rating on my son over the
last 2 1/2 years? I would probably assume they didn't despite the
history of good payments etc.
Sounds to me that SprintPCS is very inflexible, to their own
disadvantage. And why cannot the service be resumed quickly when
SprintPCS is contacted by the customer who offers to make any
reasonable payment immediately?

Nope sorry. This is decidely bad account management period.
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 1:49:01 AM

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 17:04:35 -0700, ian wrote:

> My family have used 4 phones on SprintPCS for 7 years. 2 1/2 years ago
> my son started his first job, after college and moved into his own
> account, from mine.
>
> He has paid his bills on time (they debit his bank account each month)
> and uses his phone for work which quite often means he exceeds the
> anytime minutes (Yes I know the new plans would fix this). This evening
> his phone went dead and he called SprintPCS (landline) and they told
> him he had exceeded some internal unannounced limit on his account
> (around $200 I believe) so w/o notice they cut his phone service
> PERIOD.
> My question is why would SprintPCS act like this to a good customer who
> pays on time and for whom they have permission to directly charge his
> bank account? Especially when they could have called him up and offered
> him the new flexible minute plans (his contract has just expired).
> These new plans would also have meant that the money SprintPCS would be
> charging him each month would fall considerably.
>
> End result one good customer is really peeved. Add insult to this by
> SprintPCS telling him they are unable to immediately reactivate his
> account. It takes some time they say.
>
> I've suggested he call them up and insist to speak to the "retention"
> dept, as he clearly is considering ditching SprintPCS for another
> service and has no contract now to hold him back. Also annoys me with
> my 3 phones. How really silly can companies be.....And my contract has
> just expired also.....

The limit is most likely the amount sprintpcs believes he is capable of
paying back and is what they are willing to risk in-case he defaults
on his bill. It is set so that he can not spend more then they believe he
can payback for his protection and theirs. This limit is not unknown and
is published in sprintpcs online system (once you login it should be in
the upper right corner). Also this limit should have been told to him when
he signed up. Usually sprintpcs asks for such people (esp young people
with no credit history) to give a security deposit and then this limit is
based off that security deposit and your monthly bill. Keep in mind that
this is a good thing and that if your son is fully capable of paying off
his $200 dollar bill he should do so as he uses the phone. Sprintpcs
lets you make payments anytime during the month which will prevent this
from happening again.
July 13, 2005 5:39:08 AM

On 12 Jul 2005 17:04:35 -0700, ian@jardine.net wrote:

>My family have used 4 phones on SprintPCS for 7 years. 2 1/2 years ago
>my son started his first job, after college and moved into his own
>account, from mine.
>
>He has paid his bills on time (they debit his bank account each month)
>and uses his phone for work which quite often means he exceeds the
>anytime minutes (Yes I know the new plans would fix this). This evening
>his phone went dead and he called SprintPCS (landline) and they told
>him he had exceeded some internal unannounced limit on his account
>(around $200 I believe) so w/o notice they cut his phone service
>PERIOD.
>My question is why would SprintPCS act like this to a good customer who
>pays on time and for whom they have permission to directly charge his
>bank account? Especially when they could have called him up and offered
>him the new flexible minute plans (his contract has just expired).
>These new plans would also have meant that the money SprintPCS would be
>charging him each month would fall considerably.
>
>End result one good customer is really peeved. Add insult to this by
>SprintPCS telling him they are unable to immediately reactivate his
>account. It takes some time they say.
>
>I've suggested he call them up and insist to speak to the "retention"
>dept, as he clearly is considering ditching SprintPCS for another
>service and has no contract now to hold him back. Also annoys me with
>my 3 phones. How really silly can companies be.....And my contract has
>just expired also.....

Is it possible that, because of limited credit history, his account
had a spending limit (ASL) on it, and he triggered that limit? If so,
it's there to protect both him and Sprint. That wouldn't have been
"some internal unannounced limit", though. He would/should have known
about it, so maybe it was something else.

--
Paul Miner
Anonymous

If he was paying his bills on-time, then there is no excuse for Sprint
shutting off his service. Verizon does not do this. You have every right to
be extremely pissed!!!

"Paul Miner" <pminer@elrancho.invalid> wrote in message
> On 12 Jul 2005 17:04:35 -0700, ian@jardine.net wrote:
>
>>My family have used 4 phones on SprintPCS for 7 years. 2 1/2 years ago
>>my son started his first job, after college and moved into his own
>>account, from mine.
>>
>>He has paid his bills on time (they debit his bank account each month)
>>and uses his phone for work which quite often means he exceeds the
>>anytime minutes (Yes I know the new plans would fix this). This evening
>>his phone went dead and he called SprintPCS (landline) and they told
>>him he had exceeded some internal unannounced limit on his account
>>(around $200 I believe) so w/o notice they cut his phone service
>>PERIOD.
>>My question is why would SprintPCS act like this to a good customer who
>>pays on time and for whom they have permission to directly charge his
>>bank account? Especially when they could have called him up and offered
>>him the new flexible minute plans (his contract has just expired).
>>These new plans would also have meant that the money SprintPCS would be
>>charging him each month would fall considerably.
>>
>>End result one good customer is really peeved. Add insult to this by
>>SprintPCS telling him they are unable to immediately reactivate his
>>account. It takes some time they say.
>>
>>I've suggested he call them up and insist to speak to the "retention"
>>dept, as he clearly is considering ditching SprintPCS for another
>>service and has no contract now to hold him back. Also annoys me with
>>my 3 phones. How really silly can companies be.....And my contract has
>>just expired also.....
>
> Is it possible that, because of limited credit history, his account
> had a spending limit (ASL) on it, and he triggered that limit? If so,
> it's there to protect both him and Sprint. That wouldn't have been
> "some internal unannounced limit", though. He would/should have known
> about it, so maybe it was something else.
>
> --
> Paul Miner
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 5:39:10 AM

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 19:33:59 -0700, Mij Adyaw wrote:

> If he was paying his bills on-time, then there is no excuse for Sprint
> shutting off his service. Verizon does not do this. You have every right to
> be extremely pissed!!!

It wasn't about paying his plan bill he was being charged $200 dollars in
overage fees. If you rack up a large amount of overages on Verizon and you
have weak credit they will suspend the account till you PAY FOR YOUR
OVERAGES. This all depends on your credit score when you sign up at any
provider. Sprintpcs just prevented him from increasing the overage amount.
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 5:39:11 AM

Out of courtesy Sprint should have contacted him and requested payment of
his overage within several days. It would have been a much more palatable
option than terminating his service.

"Central" <spam2@central.2y.net> wrote in message
news:p an.2005.07.13.02.40.02.429859@central.2y.net...
> On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 19:33:59 -0700, Mij Adyaw wrote:
>
>> If he was paying his bills on-time, then there is no excuse for Sprint
>> shutting off his service. Verizon does not do this. You have every right
>> be extremely pissed!!!
>>

> It wasn't about paying his plan bill he was being charged $200 dollars in
> overage fees. If you rack up a large amount of overages on Verizon and you
> have weak credit they will suspend the account till you PAY FOR YOUR
> OVERAGES. This all depends on your credit score when you sign up at any
> provider. Sprintpcs just prevented him from increasing the overage amount.
July 13, 2005 5:02:16 PM

I don't know what limit I have on my account and it does not show on
any of the online account pages I have checked.
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 7:04:52 PM

On 12 Jul 2005 21:26:48 -0700, ian@jardine.net wrote:

>Yes I acknowledge some of what you and others have said...but.....
>Why cut off service w/o notice? What an insult.
>Especially when authority to debit a bank account has been given. With
>all bills paid on time over 2 1/2 years would it not be better
>corporate policy to call the customer for a chat b4 cutting off
>serivice w/o notice? Especially when the amount owed to SprintPCS is
>actually an agregious over charge, per the new plans just installed
>days ago by SprintPCS which probably would have reduced the billing by
>maybe $100?

There you go comparing the plan he's on to the rest of the plans that
might be available. The only plan that matters is the one he's on. I'm
certainly not seeing any "agregious over charge".

>Did SprintPCS actually update their credit rating on my son over the
>last 2 1/2 years? I would probably assume they didn't despite the
>history of good payments etc.
>Sounds to me that SprintPCS is very inflexible, to their own
>disadvantage. And why cannot the service be resumed quickly when
>SprintPCS is contacted by the customer who offers to make any
>reasonable payment immediately?
>
>Nope sorry. This is decidely bad account management period.

I'm also seeing a healthy dose of bad customer behavior. As a parent
to the individual in question, you might want to take this opportunity
to impress upon your son the importance of good credit and the
importance of actually reading and making sure you/he understand the
details of your plan, especially the billing section. If the account
has an Account Spending Limit, it wouldn't have been a secret to both
of you.

--
Paul Miner
Anonymous

Mij Adyaw wrote:
> The problem is that $200 is chump-change. If a person gets a credit card, I
> believe that lowest spending limit is $1000.

*sigh*

No, it's not chump change.

I bill out at $98 per month, average, for my *two* lines. I could probably
activate a third line right now, and *still* not go over $200 per month.

The only time I have EVER gone over my spending limit (which, in fact, *is*
$200) -- in four years of being a Sprint customer -- was when I activated my
line of service in June 2004 and got billed a month in advance plus a
prorated month. Even though my wife is on an old $30/month plan, we got
dinged enough for me to go over.

Whether or not $200 is enough depends on your individual usage. It may be
chump change for some people, but jeez... who spends $1000 on cell phones
that aren't used for business purposes?!

And there are credit cards with lower credit limits with $1000, too.

--
JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 8:11:05 PM

ian@jardine.net wrote:
> I don't know what limit I have on my account and it does not show on
> any of the online account pages I have checked.

Logging on to SprintPCS.com with my phone number and password, I see a
section over on the right, "My Invoice and Payments." This is on the page
that comes up after I enter the phone number and password and click the
submit button.

Shows balance due and due date...

Under that:

Spending Limit: $200.00
Credit Used: $102.30 (my current balance)
Credit Remaining: $97.70

--
JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 7:37:17 AM

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 16:08:10 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
wrote:

>Mij Adyaw wrote:
>> The problem is that $200 is chump-change. If a person gets a credit card, I
>> believe that lowest spending limit is $1000.
>
>*sigh*
>
>No, it's not chump change.
>
>I bill out at $98 per month, average, for my *two* lines. I could probably
>activate a third line right now, and *still* not go over $200 per month.
>
>The only time I have EVER gone over my spending limit (which, in fact, *is*
>$200) -- in four years of being a Sprint customer -- was when I activated my
>line of service in June 2004 and got billed a month in advance plus a
>prorated month. Even though my wife is on an old $30/month plan, we got
>dinged enough for me to go over.
>
>Whether or not $200 is enough depends on your individual usage. It may be
>chump change for some people, but jeez... who spends $1000 on cell phones
>that aren't used for business purposes?!
>
>And there are credit cards with lower credit limits with $1000, too.

Yup. My 18-y/o son has a card with a $500 limit. It used to be $300
when he first got it about 18 months ago.

--
Paul Miner
July 14, 2005 9:47:11 AM

I'm also seeing a healthy dose of bad customer behavior. As a parent
to the individual in question, you might want to take this opportunity
to impress upon your son the importance of good credit and the
importance of actually reading and making sure you/he understand the
details of your plan, especially the billing section. If the account
has an Account Spending Limit, it wouldn't have been a secret to both
of you.

--
Paul Miner
Unquote

You are off track with these comment.
The individual concerned has an excellent job, excellent pay has taken
and nearly completely repaid a whole car loan and overall has a really
excellent credit rating. His overage on his plan is caused 100% by
travel on business (which is reimbursed to him). So your words are off
base.
SprintPCS has now apologized to him as they say that policy is to
contact the individual b4 turning off the phone. Now the phone is back
on though minutes will be charged for the last 3-4 days of his current
month at 40 Cents per minute. He is not reupping for a new plan
immediately as he is considering Cingular.
FI I appear to have no account spending limit, as none shows on any
screen. And when actively travelling it's not easy to keep checking the
amount of the latest bill accruing, esecially if away from a PC for a
few days.
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 7:20:12 PM

On 14 Jul 2005 05:47:11 -0700, ian@jardine.net wrote:

>I'm also seeing a healthy dose of bad customer behavior. As a parent
>to the individual in question, you might want to take this opportunity
>to impress upon your son the importance of good credit and the
>importance of actually reading and making sure you/he understand the
>details of your plan, especially the billing section. If the account
>has an Account Spending Limit, it wouldn't have been a secret to both
>of you.
>
>--
>Paul Miner
>Unquote
>
>You are off track with these comment.
>The individual concerned has an excellent job,

Not applicable.

>excellent pay

Not applicable.

>has taken and nearly completely repaid a whole car loan

Not applicable.

>and overall has a really excellent credit rating.

Not applicable now. This might have been a factor when the account was
created, but Sprint doesn't monitor anyone's credit rating on an
ongoing basis. You really wouldn't want them to, for several reasons.

>His overage on his plan is caused 100% by travel on business (which
>is reimbursed to him).

Not applicable.

>So your words are off base.

Looks like I was right on, to me.

>SprintPCS has now apologized to him as they say that policy is to
>contact the individual b4 turning off the phone. Now the phone is back
>on though minutes will be charged for the last 3-4 days of his current
>month at 40 Cents per minute. He is not reupping for a new plan
>immediately as he is considering Cingular.

A person should always explore their options.

>FI I appear to have no account spending limit, as none shows on any
>screen. And when actively travelling it's not easy to keep checking the
>amount of the latest bill accruing, esecially if away from a PC for a
>few days.

*4 doesn't work in your (or his) area? Also check out *3, if you
haven't already.

--
Paul Miner
Anonymous

Paul Miner wrote:
> *4 doesn't work in your (or his) area? Also check out *3, if you
> haven't already.

If *4 doesn't work, *2 or 888-211-4PCS does, and will get you into the
automated system where you can transfer to a live operator, or say... if I'm
remembering correctly... "Minutes of Use" and get the same info you get on
the website.

I use *4 quite often to keep track of my airtime usage. The other methods
will also work.

--
JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 12:23:55 AM

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 15:20:12 GMT, Paul Miner wrote:
>On 14 Jul 2005 05:47:11 -0700, ian@jardine.net wrote:
>>I'm also seeing a healthy dose of bad customer behavior. As a parent
>>to the individual in question, you might want to take this opportunity
>>to impress upon your son the importance of good credit and the
>>importance of actually reading and making sure you/he understand the
>>details of your plan, especially the billing section. If the account
>>has an Account Spending Limit, it wouldn't have been a secret to both
>>of you.
>>Paul Miner
>>Unquote
>>You are off track with these comment.
[...]
>Looks like I was right on, to me.

Except possibly for the fact that in your posts you seemed to have
been defending Sprint for cutting off this individual's phone without
first contacting him, when it appears (in the part of
ian@jardine.net's post that you conveniently snipped) that Sprint
violated their own policy by not contacting him first. I wouldn't
consider defending Sprint for violating their own policy to be "right
on". Nice spin job though...

And also, your little lecture on parenting was condescending and
completely uncalled for as well.

Joe Huber
huber.joseph@comcast.net
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 12:23:56 AM

Agreed. Maybe Paul is a Sprint shill?

"Joseph Huber" <huber.joseph@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 15:20:12 GMT, Paul Miner wrote:
>>On 14 Jul 2005 05:47:11 -0700, ian@jardine.net wrote:
>>>I'm also seeing a healthy dose of bad customer behavior. As a parent
>>>to the individual in question, you might want to take this opportunity
>>>to impress upon your son the importance of good credit and the
>>>importance of actually reading and making sure you/he understand the
>>>details of your plan, especially the billing section. If the account
>>>has an Account Spending Limit, it wouldn't have been a secret to both
>>>of you.
>>>Paul Miner
>>>Unquote
>>>You are off track with these comment.
> [...]
>>Looks like I was right on, to me.
>
> Except possibly for the fact that in your posts you seemed to have
> been defending Sprint for cutting off this individual's phone without
> first contacting him, when it appears (in the part of
> ian@jardine.net's post that you conveniently snipped) that Sprint
> violated their own policy by not contacting him first. I wouldn't
> consider defending Sprint for violating their own policy to be "right
> on". Nice spin job though...
>
> And also, your little lecture on parenting was condescending and
> completely uncalled for as well.
>
> Joe Huber
> huber.joseph@comcast.net
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 12:31:51 AM

Mij Adyaw wrote:
> There should be a warning message providing several days for the customer to
> contact Sprint before the phone is turned-off.

I disagree. In my case, I knew I was late. It's incumbent on the customer to
know when his due date is; in my case, mine's usually on the 24th or the
25th. Once you're late, technically, they could cut you off even if it's the
day after the due date, and be within their legal rights.

(I speak as someone who people pay to provide monthly services. Things work
the same way with me, although the customer would have to have a pretty bad
payment history with me for me to turn him off the day he goes past due;
usually, I do give people a grace period.)

--
JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 12:38:27 AM

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 18:29:07 -0700, "Mij Adyaw" wrote:

>Agreed. Maybe Paul is a Sprint shill?

Well, I don't know, but your assertion is likely to start some lively
discussion... Do you have a flame-retardant newsreader?

Joe Huber
huber.joseph@comcast.net
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 5:51:15 AM

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 20:23:55 -0500, Joseph Huber
<huber.joseph@comcast.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 15:20:12 GMT, Paul Miner wrote:
>>On 14 Jul 2005 05:47:11 -0700, ian@jardine.net wrote:
>>>I'm also seeing a healthy dose of bad customer behavior. As a parent
>>>to the individual in question, you might want to take this opportunity
>>>to impress upon your son the importance of good credit and the
>>>importance of actually reading and making sure you/he understand the
>>>details of your plan, especially the billing section. If the account
>>>has an Account Spending Limit, it wouldn't have been a secret to both
>>>of you.
>>>Paul Miner
>>>Unquote
>>>You are off track with these comment.
>[...]
>>Looks like I was right on, to me.
>
>Except possibly for the fact that in your posts you seemed to have
>been defending Sprint for cutting off this individual's phone without
>first contacting him

You may have read it that way, but I never said that.

>, when it appears (in the part of
>ian@jardine.net's post that you conveniently snipped) that Sprint
>violated their own policy by not contacting him first. I wouldn't
>consider defending Sprint for violating their own policy to be "right
>on". Nice spin job though...
>
>And also, your little lecture on parenting was condescending and
>completely uncalled for as well.

I just call it the way I see it. You're free to disagree.

--
Paul Miner
July 15, 2005 7:58:05 PM

Guys I was wondering the same thing. And I have to admit I edited
(toned down) my first shot at a reply. No point getting excited talking
about phones;).
Well the phone is back "on" and a deal is being worked on that sounds
pretty decent. Let's say that he is being offered a new 2 year contract
w usual $150.oo credit towards a new phone a reduction in the
overcharge minutes (that was unexpected and nice) and a good amt of
mins AT going fwd. So sounds like SprintPCS realises they had somewhat
used a hammer to try to kill a fly. Will probably get worked out
shortly and be good for the customer and Sprint.
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 4:19:32 AM

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 23:44:29 -0400, Central wrote:
[sermonette snipped]
>Long story short this person knew he went over, sprintpcs gladly let him
>up to a point they felt he could pay all he had to do was utilize features
>sprintpcs already provides but refused to bother with them and sprintpcs
>cut him off in accordance to their mutual agreement. Lesson learned is
>that you should pay attention when you sign/approve an agreement with a
>company you wish to have a stable relationship/service with.

Well, not exactly...but another nice spin job nonetheless (right up
there with Paul Miner's). As was posted earlier by this user's
parent, Sprint suggested to the user that this account was
inappropriately cut off, and offered the customer some extra minutes
and other concessions to keep him as a customer. Now there's a lesson
for you...

Joe Huber
huber.joseph@comcast.net
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 5:42:04 AM

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 00:19:32 -0500, Joseph Huber wrote:

> Well, not exactly...but another nice spin job nonetheless (right up
> there with Paul Miner's). As was posted earlier by this user's parent,
> Sprint suggested to the user that this account was inappropriately cut
> off, and offered the customer some extra minutes and other concessions
> to keep him as a customer. Now there's a lesson for you...
>
> Joe Huber
> huber.joseph@comcast.net

You mean where sprintpcs tried to do what they can to keep one more
customer by offering him a better plan that would not keep having him
paying overage fees? Right I guess being responsible for your own
obligations is now a spin job these days. As far as what you call
concessions they are having him sign a new 2yr agreement which means it
was just a standard plan upgrade. This is something they would do for him
wither or not they believe they were at fault.

I personally don't care how people wish to view who is at fault in this
case but I don't think it is fair to blame sprintpcs because someone can't
bother to keep track of their overage/credit limit. The responsibility of
fulfilling your obligation to sprintpcs should rest on you. Sprintpcs
shouldn't have to hunt you down to fulfill it.
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 9:43:32 AM

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 00:19:32 -0500, Joseph Huber
<huber.joseph@comcast.net> wrote:

>On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 23:44:29 -0400, Central wrote:
>[sermonette snipped]
>>Long story short this person knew he went over, sprintpcs gladly let him
>>up to a point they felt he could pay all he had to do was utilize features
>>sprintpcs already provides but refused to bother with them and sprintpcs
>>cut him off in accordance to their mutual agreement. Lesson learned is
>>that you should pay attention when you sign/approve an agreement with a
>>company you wish to have a stable relationship/service with.
>
>Well, not exactly...but another nice spin job nonetheless (right up
>there with Paul Miner's). As was posted earlier by this user's
>parent, Sprint suggested to the user that this account was
>inappropriately cut off, and offered the customer some extra minutes
>and other concessions to keep him as a customer. Now there's a lesson
>for you...

Joe, talk about a spin job... *sigh*
Rather than giving Sprint credit for trying to make a bad situation
better, you'd rather spin it to mean that Sprint somehow admitted it
had done wrong. I have no idea how you got there from here, but
apparently you're not willing to see what's right in front of your
face.

The bottom line is that every customer should accept the personal
responsibility expected and required by a person who willingly enters
into a business relationship such as this. Know your contract and
abide by it, and these kinds of things won't happen. How you twist
that around and make it the carrier's problem is beyond me.

--
Paul Miner
Anonymous

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 05:43:32 GMT, Paul Miner wrote
>Joe, talk about a spin job... *sigh*
>Rather than giving Sprint credit for trying to make a bad situation
>better, you'd rather spin it to mean that Sprint somehow admitted it
>had done wrong.

....and...

On 14 Jul 2005 05:47:11 -0700, ian@jardine.net wrote:
>SprintPCS has now apologized to him as they say that policy is to
>contact the individual b4 turning off the phone.

Well, for Heaven's sake, Sprint did admit that they did something
wrong!!! They cut off this guy's service off without first calling
him, which apparently violates their policy. Paul, do you and Central
actually read these posts before you reply to them???

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 05:43:32 GMT, Paul Miner wrote
>I have no idea how you got there from here

I was responding to what was posted in plain English. Unless, of
course, you and Central are insinuating that ian@jardine.net is a
liar. If that's the case, come out and say it, and provide some
evidence to back up your claim.

>The bottom line is that every customer should accept the personal
>responsibility expected and required by a person who willingly enters
>into a business relationship such as this.

I can't disagree with that.

>Know your contract and abide by it, and these kinds of things won't happen.

These kinds of things will and do happen because Sprint's employees
are not well trained and don't know Sprint's own policies, which
evidently happened here.

Eagerly waiting to see how you guys will spin this one...

Joe Huber
huber.joseph@comcast.net
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 2:34:00 PM

Paul Miner wrote:
> On 12 Jul 2005 21:36:25 -0700, ian@jardine.net wrote:
>

>>Let's bear in mind here that while the gross billing by SprintPCS is
>>$200 the actual cost toPCS is much much lower. So it's not like they
>>are going to loose $200 when their actual cost is a smaller amount.
>>It's their profit which inflates the billing.
>

> That's a horrible way of trying to justify bad customer behavior. It's
> none of your business how much profit Sprint does or doesn't make on
> your son's $200 bill. If he owes $200 then he owes $200, not some
> lower amount that you think represents the amount minus the profit.

Not only that, but this is something the OP and his son AGREED to. He
freely admits that his son regularly hits overages, and could have
easily switched to an F&F plan with just a phone call to limit his
exposure to high fees. But for whatever reason, they insist on
voluntarily paying Sprint this supposed egregious amount of profit
instead of switching to a plan that would be inevitably cheaper.

At that point, it should no longer be considered profit. Instead, it's
a voluntary tax on stupidity and pigheadedness for which the OP has
really no right to complain.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
July 17, 2005 2:37:01 PM

Mij Adyaw wrote:
> The problem is that $200 is chump-change.

Heh, it may be for you and I Mij, but the vast majority of people with
ASLs are on ASls because their credit level has spoken to the contrary.
For some people, $200 IS a lot of money, especially if they've
demonstrated through poor credit that they can't pay it in a timely manner.

> If a person gets a credit card, I
> believe that lowest spending limit is $1000.

My sister's in collegee. Her first credit card had a $200 spending
limit on it.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
July 17, 2005 2:45:55 PM

ian@jardine.net wrote:
> Yes I acknowledge some of what you and others have said...but.....
> Why cut off service w/o notice? What an insult.

I guess it depends on point of view. Cutting off the service is the
quickest way to elicit a response, as often times a friendly call from
CS will often get ignored by people who go over their ASLs.

> Especially when authority to debit a bank account has been given.

The authority to debit the bank account has been given fro MONTHYL
charges, not whenever the hell Sprint feels like it. In fact, I would
bet that if they HAD just ddebited his bank account and he then bounced
a check or something as a result, you'd be in ehre complaining about
that instead.

> With
> all bills paid on time over 2 1/2 years would it not be better
> corporate policy to call the customer for a chat b4 cutting off
> serivice w/o notice? Especially when the amount owed to SprintPCS is
> actually an agregious over charge, per the new plans just installed
> days ago by SprintPCS which probably would have reduced the billing by
> maybe $100?

If it's an egregious overcharge, then why hasn't he switched plans?
Until he switches, it's an overcharge that he has AGREED to pay, and
that right there makes it quite fair.

> Did SprintPCS actually update their credit rating on my son over the
> last 2 1/2 years? I would probably assume they didn't despite the
> history of good payments etc.

You can be sure they didn't, if they didn't remove the ASL. Perhaps
there's another credit-related reason for this. You'd have to ask Sprint.

> Sounds to me that SprintPCS is very inflexible, to their own
> disadvantage. And why cannot the service be resumed quickly when
> SprintPCS is contacted by the customer who offers to make any
> reasonable payment immediately?
>
> Nope sorry. This is decidely bad account management period.

Y'know, porting is active now. But until you guys either change your
plans or change carriers, then nothing will happen. You've agreed to
these terms even though you're out of contract and can easily switch to
more reasonable terms that you've already indicated you're aware of.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
July 17, 2005 2:52:42 PM

ian@jardine.net wrote:
> I'm also seeing a healthy dose of bad customer behavior. As a parent
> to the individual in question, you might want to take this opportunity
> to impress upon your son the importance of good credit and the
> importance of actually reading and making sure you/he understand the
> details of your plan, especially the billing section. If the account
> has an Account Spending Limit, it wouldn't have been a secret to both
> of you.
>
> --
> Paul Miner
> Unquote
>
> You are off track with these comment.

No, he's quite on track. And please, learn how to quote.

> The individual concerned has an excellent job, excellent pay has taken
> and nearly completely repaid a whole car loan and overall has a really
> excellent credit rating.

*golf clap* Good for him! And yet, he doesn't practice good consumer
sense by switching his account to a plan that would save him hundreds of
dollars, even though he's fully aware of his options, leaving you to
come here and moan and cry about "egregious" overcharges he could've
easily avoided.

> His overage on his plan is caused 100% by
> travel on business (which is reimbursed to him).

So in other words, he's also expensing this egregious amount to his
employer, costing THEM more money then they really need to spending
because he could've switched to F&F and saved THEM hundreds of dollars
every month. Not a very good employee in my book.

> SprintPCS has now apologized to him as they say that policy is to
> contact the individual b4 turning off the phone. Now the phone is back
> on though minutes will be charged for the last 3-4 days of his current
> month at 40 Cents per minute. He is not reupping for a new plan
> immediately as he is considering Cingular.

Good luck to him then. I hope whatever he decides, he exercises better
judgement, as so far it's been pretty poor.

> FI I appear to have no account spending limit, as none shows on any
> screen. And when actively travelling it's not easy to keep checking the
> amount of the latest bill accruing, esecially if away from a PC for a
> few days.

*4 ?

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
July 17, 2005 2:56:52 PM

Joseph Huber wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 15:20:12 GMT, Paul Miner wrote:

> Except possibly for the fact that in your posts you seemed to have
> been defending Sprint for cutting off this individual's phone without
> first contacting him, when it appears (in the part of
> ian@jardine.net's post that you conveniently snipped) that Sprint
> violated their own policy by not contacting him first.

Irrelevant to the fact this his argument hinges on these "egregious"
charges his son signed up for and could easily have signed OUT of.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
July 18, 2005 7:09:32 PM

Isaiah Beard wrote:
> ian@jardine.net wrote:
> > I'm also seeing a healthy dose of bad customer behavior. As a parent
> > to the individual in question, you might want to take this opportunity
> > to impress upon your son the importance of good credit and the
> > importance of actually reading and making sure you/he understand the
> > details of your plan, especially the billing section. If the account
> > has an Account Spending Limit, it wouldn't have been a secret to both
> > of you.
> >
> > --
> > Paul Miner
> > Unquote
> >
> > You are off track with these comment.
>
> No, he's quite on track. And please, learn how to quote.

Beg to differ and because I reply in a differently style you decide to
lecture me? Well Please learn to show more respect for people and tone
your comments down. Thankyou.

> > The individual concerned has an excellent job, excellent pay has taken
> > and nearly completely repaid a whole car loan and overall has a really
> > excellent credit rating.
>
> *golf clap* Good for him! And yet, he doesn't practice good consumer
> sense by switching his account to a plan that would save him hundreds of
> dollars, even though he's fully aware of his options, leaving you to
> come here and moan and cry about "egregious" overcharges he could've
> easily avoided.

He was looking at Cingular, however their network issues were a
stumbling point. Meantime he was "off contract". I thunk charging a
good customer 40 Cents per minute is likely to loose that customer
hence "egregious". OK you think otherwise.

> > His overage on his plan is caused 100% by
> > travel on business (which is reimbursed to him).
>
> So in other words, he's also expensing this egregious amount to his
> employer, costing THEM more money then they really need to spending
> because he could've switched to F&F and saved THEM hundreds of dollars
> every month. Not a very good employee in my book.

He extra minutes were ALL totally business related and he went into
discussions with SPCS to reduce these charges. If he wasn't a good
employee and could get reimbursement he would not have bothered to do
this. You are an extremely judgemental person aren't you?

> > SprintPCS has now apologized to him as they say that policy is to
> > contact the individual b4 turning off the phone. Now the phone is back
> > on though minutes will be charged for the last 3-4 days of his current
> > month at 40 Cents per minute. He is not reupping for a new plan
> > immediately as he is considering Cingular.
>
> Good luck to him then. I hope whatever he decides, he exercises better
> judgement, as so far it's been pretty poor.

More of you spurious judgemental stuff it's a strong theme of all your
postings.

> > FI I appear to have no account spending limit, as none shows on any
> > screen. And when actively travelling it's not easy to keep checking the
> > amount of the latest bill accruing, esecially if away from a PC for a
> > few days.
>
> *4 ?
>

> --
> E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
> Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.

SprintPCS admit that their SOP require them to call the customer b4
turning off that customers service. The admit they didn't do this.
!