Umlimited is more like it Sprint..pos

Last response: in Network Providers
July 16, 2005 3:17:00 AM

Couple of questions for sprint folks..
Why is calling my voicemail a billable call when I have unlimited
pcs-pcs calling? Isn't my phone# a PCS phone?

I got the cease and decist letter from sprint for using too much of my
unlimited vision plan..An "unusually large amount of data" as they say
in the otherwise comical letter. Unlimited..yeah right more like
UMlimited

More about : umlimited sprint pos

Anonymous
July 16, 2005 12:00:05 PM

sheepish_bagholders wrote:

> <snip>
>
> I got the cease and decist letter from sprint for using too much of my
> unlimited vision plan..An "unusually large amount of data" as they say
> in the otherwise comical letter. Unlimited..yeah right more like
> UMlimited

It has to do with the fact that it's in direct violation of Sprint's
TOS:

"Other Sprint PCS Vision Terms. You will not receive voice calls
while using Vision. Vision is not available for use with server
devices or host computer applications, other systems that drive
continuous heavy traffic or data sessions, or as substitutes for
private lines or frame relay connections. Unlimited Vision plans/
options may not be used with Sprint PCS phones or smart phones
being used as a modem in connection with other equipment (e.g.,
computers, etc.) through use of connection kits or other phone-to
computer/PDA accessories, or Bluetooth or other wireless technology.
We may terminate services without notice for any misuse. You may have
access to certain games, ringers, screen savers and other items on
our Vision site ("Premium Services") that are available for an
additional charge. You will be billed for Premium Service purchases
on your Sprint PCS invoice based on the charges as specified at purchase.
Subject to the terms of the content purchased, we may delete premium and
non-premium items downloaded to any storage areas we may provide,
including any pictures, games and other content. We may limit the amount
of Premium Services you may purchase in a specific timeframe (month, week,
day, or other time period)."

As far as being "a high user or a low user," no one's been able to
figure out where they stand... This subject been the basis of many
a thread in this newsgroup.

Notan
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 5:03:15 PM

"sheepish_bagholders" <gtebagholders@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Couple of questions for sprint folks..
> Why is calling my voicemail a billable call when I have unlimited
> pcs-pcs calling? Isn't my phone# a PCS phone?

Can't answer that one.

> I got the cease and decist letter from sprint for using too much of my
> unlimited vision plan..An "unusually large amount of data" as they say
> in the otherwise comical letter. Unlimited..yeah right more like
> UMlimited

That unlimited feature only applies to data downloaded by the phone itself.
So, IOW, you were using your phone tethered to a laptop, as an ISP to do a
lot of downloading? How much data did they say you were using?

Bob
July 16, 2005 6:24:47 PM

sheepish_bagholders wrote:
> Couple of questions for sprint folks..
> Why is calling my voicemail a billable call when I have unlimited
> pcs-pcs calling? Isn't my phone# a PCS phone?

PCS-PCS doesn't count when checking voicemail. Doesn't on some other
carriers (this came up with Verizon some time ago).

--
JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 2:46:35 AM

In article <1121494620.385084.83710@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
gtebagholders@yahoo.com says...
> I got the cease and decist letter from sprint for using too much of my
> unlimited vision plan..An "unusually large amount of data" as they say
> in the otherwise comical letter. Unlimited..yeah right more like
> UMlimited

You violated the TOS, didn't you? You tethered your phone to a laptop,
and used your phone as a modem, didn't you? If you did, that's why that
cease and desist letter arrived.

Sprint believes that there is only a certain amount of data that your
phone can receive per month if it's used exactly as the TOS allows. So
the package really *is* unlimited in amount. But that pack is based
upon a certain usage model, and you're bound by the Terms that govern
how you can use the phone. No one ever promised you that "unlimited"
meant unlimited ways to use it.

--
RØß
O/Siris

Sure your phone is a PCS phone. But your voice mail is not another PCS
phone. Was this unusually large amount of data used on your phone?
What was funny?

sheepish_bagholders wrote:
> Couple of questions for sprint folks..
> Why is calling my voicemail a billable call when I have unlimited
> pcs-pcs calling? Isn't my phone# a PCS phone?
>
> I got the cease and decist letter from sprint for using too much of my
> unlimited vision plan..An "unusually large amount of data" as they say
> in the otherwise comical letter. Unlimited..yeah right more like
> UMlimited

Anonymous
July 17, 2005 3:08:08 PM

sheepish_bagholders wrote:
> Couple of questions for sprint folks..
> Why is calling my voicemail a billable call when I have unlimited
> pcs-pcs calling? Isn't my phone# a PCS phone?

You're not calling your phone, you're calling your voice mail inbox.
PCS2PCS is just that... a connection from one Sprint PCS phone to another.

> I got the cease and decist letter from sprint for using too much of my
> unlimited vision plan..An "unusually large amount of data" as they say
> in the otherwise comical letter. Unlimited..yeah right more like
> UMlimited

Hooked up your laptop and downloaded some MP3s did we?

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
July 17, 2005 5:00:29 PM

So when my wife calls my cell and I don't answer; she gets voicemail,
thats somehow no-longer a PCS PCS call? Bullshit and even sprint cust
service agreed..MP3's no. Streaming stock quotes on my phone. And their
own latest treo 650 patch enables the phone to be used as a modem. As
too the amount of data deemed "unusually large" ? I'm not sure as it
doesn't actually state the usage KB-wise.
As an aside: I have 2 cell phones with sprint, my home phone and long
distance is sprint; I have their highest speed DSL service as well. I
have had all of the above items for years.
You sprint employees here can justify this fine-print BS all you want.
The company will be losing all of the services They now provide me
which (well over 300 a month) as I will be moving on as soon as I find
a suitable replacement.
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 6:31:18 PM

news:D bbtb4$2rg$1@ratbert.glorb.com...
> sheepish_bagholders wrote:
>> Couple of questions for sprint folks..
>> Why is calling my voicemail a billable call when I have unlimited
>> pcs-pcs calling? Isn't my phone# a PCS phone?
>
> PCS-PCS doesn't count when checking voicemail. Doesn't on some other
> carriers (this came up with Verizon some time ago).

But it's not PCS to PCS (phone to phone) it is PCS to a land based
switch/voicemail system.

Although I disagree with their charging for retreiving your voice mail, they
do because you ARE using airtime and NOT communicationg with another PCS
phone/device.
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 3:53:25 AM

In article <1121630429.558499.26530@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
gtebagholders@yahoo.com says...
> You sprint employees here can justify this fine-print BS all you want.
> The company will be losing all of the services They now provide me
> which (well over 300 a month) as I will be moving on as soon as I find
> a suitable replacement.

The simple fact is that nothing says you can't do it (tethered data
usage). Only that your $15 Vision Pack won't cover it.

I'm neither defending nor agreeing with the policy. Only pointing out
that it exists. If you choose to take umbrage at being told the truth,
that's your right, certainly. But it's not my fault.

--
RØß
O/Siris
A thing moderately good
is not so good as it ought to be.
Moderation in temper is always a virtue,
but moderation in principle is always a vice.
+Thomas Paine, "The Rights of Man", 1792+
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 3:44:55 AM

Just call another sprintpcs phone that you know will likely go
unanswered and will transfer to voicemail.

Press "*" then press "#", key your sprintpcs phone number, your
password - retrieve your messages for free!!!

--
kanico
July 24, 2005 2:30:24 PM

Jerome Zelinske wrote:
> Sure your phone is a PCS phone. But your voice mail is not another PCS
> phone. Was this unusually large amount of data used on your phone?
> What was funny?

If you call from a non PCS phone (landline) to check your voicemail
then there's no charge for minutes.
July 24, 2005 2:36:26 PM

kanico wrote:
> Just call another sprintpcs phone that you know will likely go
> unanswered and will transfer to voicemail.
>
> Press "*" then press "#", key your sprintpcs phone number, your
> password - retrieve your messages for free!!!

Are you sure its free? Doesn't pressing the star and pound keys
activate the pac-mans that eat up minutes.
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 5:49:14 AM

I was aware of that, although I have never done it. But, what does
that have to do with the question at hand?

Alan wrote:

> Jerome Zelinske wrote:
>
>>Sure your phone is a PCS phone. But your voice mail is not another PCS
>>phone. Was this unusually large amount of data used on your phone?
>>What was funny?
>

> If you call from a non PCS phone (landline) to check your voicemail
> then there's no charge for minutes.

Anonymous
August 20, 2005 12:41:34 PM

kanico <kanico.1sgbkz@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in

> Just call another sprintpcs phone that you know will likely go
> unanswered and will transfer to voicemail.
>
> Press "*" then press "#", key your sprintpcs phone number, your
> password - retrieve your messages for free!!!

it's easier to call directly to voicemail of another PCS phone
(as in 11-xxx-xxx-xxxx) then pressing * . Instead of punching in a
password, press * again. It will ask for your 10 digit number. This is
technically a PCS-PCS call because you are initially calling another PCS
phone...

Jason Kenney
PCS user, Las Vegas, NV
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 12:41:35 PM

> it's easier to call directly to voicemail of another PCS phone
> (as in 11-xxx-xxx-xxxx) then pressing * . Instead of punching in a
> password, press * again. It will ask for your 10 digit number. This is
> technically a PCS-PCS call because you are initially calling another PCS
> phone...

Wrong. Tried it. Didn't get billed PCS-PCS.

Company website: http://JustThe.net/
E: sjsobol@JustThe.net Snail: 22674 Motnocab Road, Apple Valley, CA 92307
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 8:24:13 PM

Steve Sobol wrote:
>> it's easier to call directly to voicemail of another PCS phone (as in
>> 11-xxx-xxx-xxxx) then pressing * . Instead of punching in a password,
>> press * again. It will ask for your 10 digit number. This is
>> technically a PCS-PCS call because you are initially calling another
>> PCS phone...
>

> Wrong. Tried it. Didn't get billed PCS-PCS.

They must've fixed that little bug then. I remember using 11+ to get to
other people's voicemail when I didn't want to disturb them with a
direct call, and it wouild always bill as PCS2PCS.

However, calls to their phone number that then rolled to VM did NOT get
billed PCS2PCS, and used minutes. Strange.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
September 26, 2006 4:39:11 AM

lol@sprint POS, hey, it's not ghetro :wink: