Rapid Battery Discharge

July 1, 2004 10:06:38 PM

Twice now my Zire 71 has quickly (overnight when not in use) gone completely
dead. After putting it on the charger I have to resync and rebuild
everything. Since I don't have it on for more than 15 to 30 minutes per
day, I normally can go several days between recharges. These incidents have
happened within a day of a complete recharge.

Is there some problem that can cause a sudden loss of battery power or
something that behaves that way?

Roger
Anonymous
July 2, 2004 8:34:52 PM

"R" <x@x.x> wrote in message
news:o oYEc.1416$oD3.635@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> Twice now my Zire 71 has quickly (overnight when not in use) gone
completely
> dead. After putting it on the charger I have to resync and rebuild
> everything. Since I don't have it on for more than 15 to 30 minutes per
> day, I normally can go several days between recharges. These incidents
have
> happened within a day of a complete recharge.
>
> Is there some problem that can cause a sudden loss of battery power or
> something that behaves that way?
>
> Roger

Anything which causes a fatal error will lock your Palm in the "on"
condition until the batteries are drained. There are many ways this can
happen - one known cause is an address book/contacts birthday "reminder"
where the birthday occurs on or after January 1st but the reminder occurs on
or before December 31st. Birthday is January 20th with a 30 day reminder,
for example.

You might get in the habit of leaving your Zire in the cradle overnight.
That way, if a fatal error occurs, the Zire will simply sit there powered up
in the cradle. With luck, you may even be able to figure out what caused
the error...

Carmine Castiglia
http://www.infosystemspro.com
Home of Geo-Matic for the Palm and Decimal Equivalents, Drills & Tap Drills
for the Palm
More to come!
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 9:59:26 PM

R wrote:
> Twice now my Zire 71 has quickly (overnight when not in use) gone
> completely dead. After putting it on the charger I have to resync
> and rebuild everything. Since I don't have it on for more than 15 to
> 30 minutes per day, I normally can go several days between recharges.
> These incidents have happened within a day of a complete recharge.
>
> Is there some problem that can cause a sudden loss of battery power or
> something that behaves that way?

I just purchased a Zire 72 and had the same thing happen to me. The battery
was so dead that all data was lost. Luckily I hadn't loaded anything into it
yet. I had only taken a couple of pictures and set the date and time.

The Zire was completely charged last night, and this morning it was
completely dead. It wasn't connected to anything nor did it have a card in
it. And like I said above no new software had been installed.

I am considering returning it. This sounds like a design flaw. I have had a
Palm IIIx for around 5 years and never had anything like that happen to it.

James
July 8, 2004 5:49:44 AM

I'm curious - when you upgraded from your IIIx, did you do a Hotsync
"restore" to move all of your data to the new device? How about
applications: were you using a third-party launcher or security app on your
IIIx? Did that also get copied over onto the Zire?

I strongly suspect that these reports might be tied to non-OS5 compatible
apps being inadvertently installed on an OS5 device.

"James Bott" <jbottREMOVE@compuserve.com> wrote in message
> R wrote:
> > Twice now my Zire 71 has quickly (overnight when not in use) gone
> > completely dead. After putting it on the charger I have to resync
> > and rebuild everything. Since I don't have it on for more than 15 to
> > 30 minutes per day, I normally can go several days between recharges.
> > These incidents have happened within a day of a complete recharge.
> >
> > Is there some problem that can cause a sudden loss of battery power or
> > something that behaves that way?
>
> I just purchased a Zire 72 and had the same thing happen to me. The
battery
> was so dead that all data was lost. Luckily I hadn't loaded anything into
it
> yet. I had only taken a couple of pictures and set the date and time.
>
> The Zire was completely charged last night, and this morning it was
> completely dead. It wasn't connected to anything nor did it have a card in
> it. And like I said above no new software had been installed.
>
> I am considering returning it. This sounds like a design flaw. I have had
> Palm IIIx for around 5 years and never had anything like that happen to
it.

> James

Anonymous
July 8, 2004 5:49:45 AM

Carmine Castiglia wrote:

> I'm curious - when you upgraded from your IIIx, did you do a Hotsync
> "restore" to move all of your data to the new device? How about
> applications: were you using a third-party launcher or security app
> on your IIIx? Did that also get copied over onto the Zire?
>
> I strongly suspect that these reports might be tied to non-OS5
> compatible apps being inadvertently installed on an OS5 device.

I had loaded nothing into the Zire. I took it out of the box, charged it,
set the date and time, took a couple of pictures and set the security app
(built-in) to lock it at midnight. That is all. It was sitting for a couple
of days. Then I picked it up an spent a few minutes looking at the new
applications and took a couple more pictures. I noticed that the battery
meter indicated it was fully charged. It sat overnight and was dead in the
morning.

So you couldn't get a cleaner test. This is either a hardware assembly
problem, design problem, or a stock software problem. Nothing third-party
was involved.

James

> "James Bott" <jbottREMOVE@compuserve.com> wrote in message
>> R wrote:
>>> Twice now my Zire 71 has quickly (overnight when not in use) gone
>>> completely dead. After putting it on the charger I have to resync
>>> and rebuild everything. Since I don't have it on for more than 15
>>> to 30 minutes per day, I normally can go several days between
>>> recharges. These incidents have happened within a day of a complete
>>> recharge.
>>>
>>> Is there some problem that can cause a sudden loss of battery power
>>> or something that behaves that way?
>>
>> I just purchased a Zire 72 and had the same thing happen to me. The
>> battery was so dead that all data was lost. Luckily I hadn't loaded
>> anything into it yet. I had only taken a couple of pictures and set
>> the date and time.
>>
>> The Zire was completely charged last night, and this morning it was
>> completely dead. It wasn't connected to anything nor did it have a
>> card in it. And like I said above no new software had been installed.
>>
>> I am considering returning it. This sounds like a design flaw. I
>> have had a Palm IIIx for around 5 years and never had anything like
>> that happen to it.
>>
>> James
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 9:51:52 AM

"James Bott" <jbottREMOVE@compuserve.com> wrote:
>I am considering returning it. This sounds like a design flaw.

It's not a design problem since thousands of them (including mine) work fine.

It's either a hardware problem or software problem, and it's easy to determine
which.

Do a *hard* reset (not just a reset) so to bring the unit back to factory fresh
condition. Fully charge it but **don't** hotsync it. If it still goes dead
overnight it's a hardware problem and you should return it, it's a bad unit.

If the problem is gone it is obviously a software problem. **Don't** hotsync as
that will just return your bad software to the unit. Instead install one program
at a time until you find the culprit.

>I have had a
>Palm IIIx for around 5 years and never had anything like that happen to it.

Me too (a IIIxe).
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 9:51:53 AM

Aaron Jones wrote:

>> I am considering returning it. This sounds like a design flaw.
>
> It's not a design problem since thousands of them (including mine)
> work fine.

Glad to hear that.

> It's either a hardware problem or software problem, and it's easy to
> determine which.
>
> Do a *hard* reset (not just a reset) so to bring the unit back to
> factory fresh condition. Fully charge it but **don't** hotsync it. If
> it still goes dead overnight it's a hardware problem and you should
> return it, it's a bad unit.

As I mentioned in my original message, "Luckily I hadn't loaded anything
into it
yet. ... And like I said above no new software had been installed.

It was right out of the box. No hot-sync. Nothing but stock software.
Charged. Held a charge for a few days, then dead overnight from a full
charge.

It could be a freak occurance and never happen again--perhaps caused by a
temporary memory glitch. Or, it could be a hardware problem that will
surface again. Since I am leaving on a three week trip soon, I think I am
going to exchange it for a new unit. I can't afford to have this happen
while traveling.

It was helpful to hear that yours has not had such a problem.

I also notice that if you hold down both the center button and the outer
ring of the navigator, the Zire turns off. Does yours do that? The center
button is supposed to work as a shutter button also, but mine only works
some of the time (about half). Does yours work?

It is easy to accidentally press both buttons while trying to take a
picture. It is frustrating to have the unit turn off.

James
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 1:01:56 PM

Carmine Castiglia wrote:
> I'm curious - when you upgraded from your IIIx, did you do a Hotsync
> "restore" to move all of your data to the new device? How about
> applications: were you using a third-party launcher or security app
> on your IIIx? Did that also get copied over onto the Zire?

Your mention of a security app got me to thinking. I did not install
anything onto the Zire, but it came with a security app from the factory. I
was curious as to how it worked so I set it up to turn off at 12:01 pm. If I
remember correctly it worked properly the first night or two.

Then it had the spontaneous battery drain overnight and it would not turn
on. After recharging it I watched the battery meter all day--there was no
apparent drain. That evening I set the security app again for 12:01 pm. At
12:05pm I tried to turn it on and couldn't. I did a reset and it came on--no
data lost. Hmmm...

I reset the security app again for a few minutes from the current time and
turned it off. I waited until the time passed, and tried to turn it on
again--locked up again. I did another reset and it came on. OK, this is not
looking good.

I reset the security app again for a few minutes in the future and went to
bed. This morning, I tried to turn it on again and it was locked up, as
expected. I did a reset and immediately got an "Extremely low battery
warning."

It would be easy to jump to the conclusion that the security app is causing
the whole problem, but I have reservations. First one would assume that
somebody at Palm had tested it, one would also assume that I wouldn't be the
first user to have tried it. Further, I am almost certain that it was
working for the first couple of days.

It is possible that my unit either came with or developed a hardware fault
that the security app is triggering.

The best next test would be to test the security app on another Zire 72. If
anyone having one, could try it a report back that would be great.
Otherwise, I may make a trip to my local computer store and test their demo.

Regards,
James
Anonymous
July 9, 2004 9:39:20 AM

"James Bott" <jbottREMOVE@compuserve.com> wrote:

> Since I am leaving on a three week trip soon, I think I am
>going to exchange it for a new unit. I can't afford to have this happen
>while traveling.

And don't forget to pack your trusty IIIx just in case... ;)
Anonymous
July 9, 2004 9:39:21 AM

Aaron Jones wrote:
> "James Bott" <jbottREMOVE@compuserve.com> wrote:
>
>> Since I am leaving on a three week trip soon, I think I am
>> going to exchange it for a new unit. I can't afford to have this
>> happen while traveling.
>
> And don't forget to pack your trusty IIIx just in case... ;)

Good advice, although my IIIx started acting up, and that was started me
thinking about getting a new Palm.

I did confirm that the stock security software caused the battery drain
problem. If you set it to lock the Zire at a certain time of day, it hangs
and continues running so the battery gets drained. After a hang (before the
battery drains), you cannot turn the unit back on, you must reset it. This
also happened on another Zire 72 that I tested, so it appears to be a bug in
the security software that PalmOne missed.

James
!