Another 10028 PRL Update?

Last response: in Network Providers
July 21, 2005 1:01:07 AM

Interesting...

Just for shits and giggles, I called *2 (Customer Care) and
got the "At Sprint, we recognize..." recording, indicating
there was a new PRL Update. After going through the whole
process, and checking to see what the new PRL was, I still
had 10028. (And, yes, I cycled the phone off and on, before
checking.)

Anyone?

Notan

More about : 10028 prl update

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 3:28:32 AM

10028 has been out since May 30th. I got it back on June 1st.
July 21, 2005 11:29:00 AM

What is a PRL? Is it important to keep up with PRL's?

Can you get the PRL update by auto download via your cell and if so, how?

Thanks,
jt

<larryt510@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> 10028 has been out since May 30th. I got it back on June 1st.

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 11:33:10 AM

larryt510@hotmail.com wrote:

> 10028 has been out since May 30th. I got it back on June 1st.

I know it's been out. I, too, have had it since it was released.

That's what's got me stumped... Yesterday's update didn't change
the PRL... I had 10028 prior to the update, and still have 10028.

Notan
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 12:38:10 PM

did you power-down/power-up your phone after the update? My wife's After
downloading a new PRL, my wife's Samsung does not display the correct PRL
until you power cycle the phone.

> larryt510@hotmail.com wrote:
>>
>> 10028 has been out since May 30th. I got it back on June 1st.
>
> I know it's been out. I, too, have had it since it was released.
>
> That's what's got me stumped... Yesterday's update didn't change
> the PRL... I had 10028 prior to the update, and still have 10028.
>
> Notan
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 1:23:24 PM

Sprint has no way of knowing which version you have when they sometimes
randomly auto flag certain accounts for a PRL update. You simply
downloaded the same PRL all over again. No harm done. It happens all
the time and has happened to me many times.
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 1:48:14 PM

Mij Adyaw wrote:

> did you power-down/power-up your phone after the update? My wife's After
> downloading a new PRL, my wife's Samsung does not display the correct PRL
> until you power cycle the phone.

I sure did.

10028, before. 10028, after.

Notan
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 2:26:08 PM

larryt510@hotmail.com wrote:

> Sprint has no way of knowing which version you have when they sometimes
> randomly auto flag certain accounts for a PRL update. You simply
> downloaded the same PRL all over again. No harm done. It happens all
> the time and has happened to me many times.

I've never had them flag my phone, without asking, first.

Lucky me! <g>

Notan
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 5:02:56 PM

"jt" <jtsoft@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What is a PRL? Is it important to keep up with PRL's?
>
> Can you get the PRL update by auto download via your cell and if so, how?
>
> Thanks,
> jt

Preferred Roam List. It's a file that tells your phone which service to use
when out of SPCS's signal coverage. New PRLs are issued every 6 months or
so.

You can dial *2 to get the OTA update, if one is available. Current PRL is
10028.

Bob
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 11:01:28 PM

Sprint does not have the technology to keep track of which PRL version
any of us have although they do have access to the last time you
downloaded an update. But they can't see which version it was.
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 4:48:43 AM

I used to call and say "PRL Update" and claire would understand and
transfer me to a rep. But I haven't tried it in a while. But I agree
the whole system seems to be odd and lacks a consistent standard.
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 6:02:15 AM

> Sprint has no way of knowing which version you have when they sometimes
> randomly auto flag certain accounts for a PRL update. You simply
> downloaded the same PRL all over again. No harm done. It happens all
> the time and has happened to me many times.

I wonder what the logic is for Sprint to not flag phones in some organized
fashion. My phone has only been "automatically flagged" once. All the
other updates were a result of me calling (often multiple times) to request
the flagging.

Even more curious is why "PRL update" is not acknowledged by Claire or
whoever the new chick is on the automated help line.

Thirdly, it is odd that usually 75% of the CS techs don't know what a PRL
update is, or they act clueless when you call to request one.

I find the whole PRL/Sprint thing really fascinating.

Any clues?
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 10:36:14 AM

larryt510@hotmail.com wrote:
> I used to call and say "PRL Update" and claire would understand and
> transfer me to a rep. But I haven't tried it in a while. But I agree
> the whole system seems to be odd and lacks a consistent standard.
I just tried twice. Clare took me to "upgrades" (where you can buy a
new phone or upgrade you plan)
I had to talk to a rep to get it done.
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 12:21:19 PM

larryt510@hotmail.com wrote:

> I used to call and say "PRL Update" and claire would understand and
> transfer me to a rep. But I haven't tried it in a while. But I agree
> the whole system seems to be odd and lacks a consistent standard.

Either I don't enunciate very well, or my Claire was hard of hearing...

Every one of my attempts at telling Claire "PRL <whatever>," resulted
in things like "OK, so you want to pay your bill," etc.

I now hit "0" a few times, and go straight to an operator.

Notan
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 2:54:16 PM

Just say "Represenative" and you should get to the right place. Always
works for me.
July 24, 2005 5:08:54 PM

"Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:

> "jt" <jtsoft@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > What is a PRL? Is it important to keep up with PRL's?
> >
> > Can you get the PRL update by auto download via your cell and if so, how?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > jt
>
> Preferred Roam List. It's a file that tells your phone which service to use
> when out of SPCS's signal coverage. New PRLs are issued every 6 months or
> so.
>
> You can dial *2 to get the OTA update, if one is available. Current PRL is
> 10028.
>
> Bob

Mine is 10026, and last time I dialed *2 it updated the PRL (I have mine
set to auto-update at Sprint store), and now it doesn't do anything. I
guess I will have to go back to Sprint store again.
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 11:13:46 PM

"Joel" <joe@Nospam.com> wrote in message
"Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:

> "jt" <jtsoft@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > What is a PRL? Is it important to keep up with PRL's?
> >
> > Can you get the PRL update by auto download via your cell and if so,
how?

> > Thanks,
> > jt
>
> Preferred Roam List. It's a file that tells your phone which service to
use
> when out of SPCS's signal coverage. New PRLs are issued every 6 months or
> so.
>
> You can dial *2 to get the OTA update, if one is available. Current PRL is
> 10028.
>
> Bob

Mine is 10026, and last time I dialed *2 it updated the PRL (I have mine
set to auto-update at Sprint store), and now it doesn't do anything. I
guess I will have to go back to Sprint store again.

Nope. You can call customer service, ask for a rep and ask the rep to flag
your account.

Bob
July 25, 2005 1:19:31 PM

"Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:

> > Preferred Roam List. It's a file that tells your phone which service to
> use
> > when out of SPCS's signal coverage. New PRLs are issued every 6 months or
> > so.
> >
> > You can dial *2 to get the OTA update, if one is available. Current PRL is
> > 10028.
> >
> > Bob
>
> Mine is 10026, and last time I dialed *2 it updated the PRL (I have mine
> set to auto-update at Sprint store), and now it doesn't do anything. I
> guess I will have to go back to Sprint store again.
>
> Nope. You can call customer service, ask for a rep and ask the rep to flag
> your account.

I sure can, but because Sprint store is just 3 blocks from my house and
often don't have to wait for more than few minutes (it doesn't do repairing
so don't have long line to wait). Thanks for the info.
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 5:00:36 AM

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 09:19:31 -0500, joe@Nospam.com (Joel) wrote:

> I sure can, but because Sprint store is just 3 blocks from my house and
>often don't have to wait for more than few minutes (it doesn't do repairing
>so don't have long line to wait). Thanks for the info.

Another good thing about doing it at a store if you've got one
is that they'll run diagnostics on the phone. Never hurts. One time
one of my phones took the PRL update, but failed one of the battery of
tests. They gave me a new phone on the spot.

Now, about every other update I make sure I do it at the
store.

DGI
!