Found a Leslie. Now what?

Last response: in Home Audio
April 13, 2005 6:01:50 PM

I was looking at some real estate in Cambridge when, in back of the
local church, I saw some smashed-up bits of keyboard. A closer
inspection revealed that they'd taken a Wurlitzer out - just that
morning! - and torn it up for the trash truck. One of the manuals was
missing some keys, and I couldn't tell about the other, but there may be
some spare parts there, and there was a pedalboard as well. (Also, a
vibraphone, though it might have rusted overnight.) The trash comes
Monday, so if anyone in Boston wants this stuff, drop me a line and I'll
get the address for you.

But the real prize for me was the Leslie 125 cabinet which looked to be
in good shape! So I brought it home. Now I have a Leslie cabinet. I
see the six-pin connector dangling out the back. At least one tube is
not smashed. That's all I can see.

Now what? I have no keyboards with a Leslie connector, and very little
familiarity with them other than the one I've played with in our Berklee
studio, which of course has the matching socket and the start/run
switches.

What's the best way to get this up and running, see if it works, and run
audio through it?

--
Jay Levitt |
Wellesley, MA | I feel calm. I feel ready. I can only

More about : found leslie

Anonymous
April 13, 2005 6:01:51 PM

Jay Levitt wrote:
> I was looking at some real estate in Cambridge when, in back of the
> local church, I saw some smashed-up bits of keyboard. A closer
> inspection revealed that they'd taken a Wurlitzer out - just that
> morning! - and torn it up for the trash truck. One of the manuals
was
> missing some keys, and I couldn't tell about the other, but there may
be
> some spare parts there, and there was a pedalboard as well. (Also, a

> vibraphone, though it might have rusted overnight.) The trash comes
> Monday, so if anyone in Boston wants this stuff, drop me a line and
I'll
> get the address for you.
>
> But the real prize for me was the Leslie 125 cabinet which looked to
be
> in good shape! So I brought it home. Now I have a Leslie cabinet.
> see the six-pin connector dangling out the back. At least one tube
is
> not smashed. That's all I can see.
>
> Now what? I have no keyboards with a Leslie connector, and very
little
> familiarity with them other than the one I've played with in our
Berklee
> studio, which of course has the matching socket and the start/run
> switches.
>
> What's the best way to get this up and running, see if it works, and
run
> audio through it?
>
> --
> Jay Levitt |
> Wellesley, MA | I feel calm. I feel ready. I can only
> Faster: jay at jay dot fm | conclude that's because I don't have a
> http://www.jay.fm | full grasp of the situation. - Mark Adler

Get a hookup to play guitar through it! I've got one and it kicks. The
sound of Blind Faith or the bridge in "Badge".
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 6:01:51 PM

Bob Stephens wrote:
> blackburst@aol.com wrote:
> > Jay Levitt wrote:
> >

> >>What's the best way to get this up and running, see if it works,
and

> > run
> >
> >>audio through it?
> >>
> >>--
> >>Jay Levitt |
> >>Wellesley, MA | I feel calm. I feel ready. I can only
> >>Faster: jay at jay dot fm | conclude that's because I don't have a
> >>http://www.jay.fm | full grasp of the situation. - Mark
Adler

> I don't know about the 125 (sure it's not a 122?), but the 145 had a
> schematic pasted on the side of the amplifier showing the plug
connections.

> Bob

The 125 doesn't have a rotating tweeter, just a single rotating drum.
The 122 has the horns and is taller. The 122/145/147 's are the ones
that give the Hammond sound, 125 sounds very different. They were
commonly used with non-Hammond organs (like the Wurlitzer). They sound
good on guitars.

These guys make a preamp for hooking a Leslie to a 1/4".

http://www.speakeasyvintagemusic.com
April 13, 2005 6:01:52 PM

blackburst@aol.com wrote:
> Jay Levitt wrote:
>

>>What's the best way to get this up and running, see if it works, and
>
> run
>
>>audio through it?
>>
>>--
>>Jay Levitt |
>>Wellesley, MA | I feel calm. I feel ready. I can only
>>Faster: jay at jay dot fm | conclude that's because I don't have a
>>http://www.jay.fm | full grasp of the situation. - Mark Adler

I don't know about the 125 (sure it's not a 122?), but the 145 had a
schematic pasted on the side of the amplifier showing the plug connections.

Bob
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 6:29:00 PM

Jay Levitt <jay+news@jay.fm> writes:
> [...]
> Now what? I have no keyboards with a Leslie connector, and very little
> familiarity with them other than the one I've played with in our Berklee
> studio, which of course has the matching socket and the start/run
> switches.

Hey Jay,

Check out Goff professional, http://www.goffprof.com. In general they
carry a fantastic lineup of products for Hammond organ and Leslie
enthusiasts. Specifically, Trek makes a Leslie preamp that does
precisely what you need,

http://www.goffprof.com/shopping.jsp?p=57

Have fun.

--A Leslie 147 owner.

--
Randy Yates
Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications

huwgareth@my-deja.com writes:

> Bob Stephens wrote:
> > blackburst@aol.com wrote:

> and
> > >
> > > run

> Adler
> > >

> > I don't know about the 125 (sure it's not a 122?), but the 145 had a
> > schematic pasted on the side of the amplifier showing the plug
> connections.
> >
> > Bob
>
> The 125 doesn't have a rotating tweeter, just a single rotating drum.
> The 122 has the horns and is taller. The 122/145/147 's are the ones
> that give the Hammond sound, 125 sounds very different.

Agreed. To expound a little more, the 122 and 147 are the "tall"
cabinets, the 145 are short cabinets (about 6 inches different).
Also, the 122 has a differential input while the 147 does not. The
differential input makes for less noise into the system.

> They were
> commonly used with non-Hammond organs (like the Wurlitzer). They sound
> good on guitars.

I would think they wouldn't. What did Three Dog Night use on, say,
"Pieces of April"?
--
Randy Yates
Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications
Research Triangle Park, NC, USA
randy.yates@sonyericsson.com, 919-472-1124
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 10:39:43 PM

On 4/13/05 2:01 PM, in article
MPG.1cc7289b2cb70c589898bf@news-east.giganews.com, "Jay Levitt"
<jay+news@jay.fm> wrote:
>... Now I have a Leslie cabinet.
> Now what?

"You¹ve just taken a step into a larger world..."
Now you spend a couple days going over this site (not just the links page!)

http://www.captain-foldback.com/Leslie.htm

http://www.captain-foldback.com/Leslie_sub/pinouts.htm

http://www.captain-foldback.com/hammond_links.htm

And you get on the mailing list at
more information.
---------------------------------

And you have a GREAT time!

http://www.tonewheel.com/
Is another source of info...
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 11:01:18 PM

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 14:01:50 -0400, Jay Levitt wrote:

> I was looking at some real estate in Cambridge when, in back of the
> local church, I saw some smashed-up bits of keyboard. A closer
> inspection revealed that they'd taken a Wurlitzer out - just that
> morning! - and torn it up for the trash truck. One of the manuals was
> missing some keys, and I couldn't tell about the other, but there may be
> some spare parts there, and there was a pedalboard as well. (Also, a
> vibraphone, though it might have rusted overnight.) The trash comes
> Monday, so if anyone in Boston wants this stuff, drop me a line and I'll
> get the address for you.
>
> But the real prize for me was the Leslie 125 cabinet which looked to be
> in good shape! So I brought it home. Now I have a Leslie cabinet. I
> see the six-pin connector dangling out the back. At least one tube is
> not smashed. That's all I can see.
>
> Now what? I have no keyboards with a Leslie connector, and very little
> familiarity with them other than the one I've played with in our Berklee
> studio, which of course has the matching socket and the start/run
> switches.
>
> What's the best way to get this up and running, see if it works, and run
> audio through it?

Take out the amp and have a look at it. I think you only have to undo one
screw at the front and it should slide out.
There should be a schematic on the side of the amp which will give you
some clues as to what goes where.

Be careful with the 6 pin plug and get it back in it's proper place before
messing about! Lots of volts in those things!!!
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 1:29:04 AM

In article <1113425674.884498.90080@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
huwgareth@my-deja.com says...
> The 125 doesn't have a rotating tweeter, just a single rotating drum.
> The 122 has the horns and is taller. The 122/145/147 's are the ones
> that give the Hammond sound, 125 sounds very different. They were
> commonly used with non-Hammond organs (like the Wurlitzer). They sound
> good on guitars.

Awwww, geez. And I was so excited. I don't think I want to spend $325
to buy a box to attach to a speaker that doesn't really sound like a
Leslie (for B3 purposes)... Sigh.

Jay

--
Jay Levitt |
Wellesley, MA | I feel calm. I feel ready. I can only
Faster: jay at jay dot fm | conclude that's because I don't have a
http://www.jay.fm | full grasp of the situation. - Mark Adler
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 1:29:05 AM

Jay Levitt wrote:
> In article <1113425674.884498.90080@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
> huwgareth@my-deja.com says...
>
>>The 125 doesn't have a rotating tweeter, just a single rotating drum.
>>The 122 has the horns and is taller. The 122/145/147 's are the ones
>>that give the Hammond sound, 125 sounds very different. They were
>>commonly used with non-Hammond organs (like the Wurlitzer). They sound
>>good on guitars.
>

> Awwww, geez. And I was so excited. I don't think I want to spend $325
> to buy a box to attach to a speaker that doesn't really sound like a
> Leslie (for B3 purposes)... Sigh.

Whoa, hold on. Take out the amp and connect a 1/4" jack to the speaker
and build yourself a 117-volt footswitch (or use a line cord and plug
into an outlet strip and kick the switch with your foot) for the motor.

Then you can connect any amp you want to it. There may not be a horn,
but the sound it makes is still amazing, and can't be duplicated by
software.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 2:07:17 AM

On 4/13/05 4:26 PM, in article d3jv4q$vfc$1@domitilla.aioe.org, "Bob
Stephens" <stephensdigital@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I don't know about the 125 (sure it's not a 122?), but the 145 had a
> schematic pasted on the side of the amplifier showing the plug connections.

125
Only bottom rotor, inexpensive, 20W amplifier.
Model 120 is the same concept but has a simpler cabinet and no amplifier
(speaker was powered by the organ's own amplifier).

http://www.captain-foldback.com/Leslie_sub/Leslie_manua....
zip
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 10:35:01 AM

S O'Neill wrote:

>Whoa, hold on. Take out the amp and connect a 1/4" jack to the speaker
>and build yourself a 117-volt footswitch (or use a line cord and plug
>into an outlet strip and kick the switch with your foot) for the motor.

I've built up two like this and that's pretty much the way I've done it,
except I build up a small power supply that is switched by a footswitch
to pick a relay that switches the motors. This keeps line power out of
the footswitch and is much safer. I also replaced the speaker with the
an EV-12 which is far more rugged than the stock item.

>Then you can connect any amp you want to it. There may not be a horn,
>but the sound it makes is still amazing, and can't be duplicated by
>software.

And that's the fact!

| two, one and one make one."
mkesti@gv.net | - The Who, Bargain
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 10:44:07 AM

> I've built up two like this and that's pretty much the way I've done it,
> except I build up a small power supply that is switched by a footswitch
> to pick a relay that switches the motors. This keeps line power out of
> the footswitch and is much safer. I also replaced the speaker with the
> an EV-12 which is far more rugged than the stock item.

I did something similar back in the '70's, but I used a TRIAC to switch
the rotors electrically. This got rid of the nasty 'POP' I got when
using a switch or relay.

Bob
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 10:55:05 AM

> Agreed. To expound a little more, the 122 and 147 are the "tall"
> cabinets, the 145 are short cabinets (about 6 inches different).
> Also, the 122 has a differential input while the 147 does not. The
> differential input makes for less noise into the system.

I lugged a 145 around for years, and wouldn't have traded it for a dozen
122's - which every one else was playing at the time. I swear they
sounded different. The 145 had a warmer, ballsier tone while the 122 had
more high end and thinner overall sound IMHO. Anyone know if there were
electronic differences - different crossover point, amps, tubes etc.?

Bob
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 12:32:20 PM

Hello Jay,

This may sound funny but was the Leslie in it's own little cabinet?

I rescued a Wurlitzer when we lived in Idaho ($40 at the thrift store),
played it for awhile, and had it moved down with us -- Sitting in the
living room need a capacitor job and being used to set a lamp on.

Inside of the Wurlitzer is a huge box and inside the box is something
with a motor turning -- Didn't get around to opening up the box.

I really should get a manual for it someday...

Thanks,
Andy
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 12:36:04 PM

Hey, Jay, you're getting too old. Remember when ANY new piece of equipment
was a time for exploration and creation?

Besides, without a real drawbar Hammond, there's no reason to worry about
the Leslie. Besides, with Pro Motion there are some units that are far
easier to move around, and they sound just as good, IMHO. A 125 can be an
interesting item to play around with for guitar, but for organ, it's kind of
a pansy.
--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio
"Jay Levitt" <jay+news@jay.fm> wrote in message
> In article <1113425674.884498.90080@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
> huwgareth@my-deja.com says...
> > The 125 doesn't have a rotating tweeter, just a single rotating drum.
> > The 122 has the horns and is taller. The 122/145/147 's are the ones
> > that give the Hammond sound, 125 sounds very different. They were
> > commonly used with non-Hammond organs (like the Wurlitzer). They sound
> > good on guitars.
>
> Awwww, geez. And I was so excited. I don't think I want to spend $325
> to buy a box to attach to a speaker that doesn't really sound like a
> Leslie (for B3 purposes)... Sigh.
>
> Jay
>
> --
> Jay Levitt |
> Wellesley, MA | I feel calm. I feel ready. I can only
> Faster: jay at jay dot fm | conclude that's because I don't have a
> http://www.jay.fm | full grasp of the situation. - Mark Adler
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 12:59:15 PM

aengster@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello Jay,

> I really should get a manual for it someday...
>
> Thanks,
> Andy

Enough with the organ puns already! :)

Bob
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 1:01:23 PM

In article <MPG.1cc7916f8a8f9c529898c0@news-east.giganews.com> jay+news@jay.fm writes:

> Awwww, geez. And I was so excited. I don't think I want to spend $325
> to buy a box to attach to a speaker that doesn't really sound like a
> Leslie (for B3 purposes)... Sigh.

And now disposal is YOUR problem. There really IS justice in this
world. <g>

When you first asked "what now?" I was going to suggest getting a
hernia truss.

April 14, 2005 2:27:22 PM

Bob Stephens <stephensdigital@earthlink.net> wrote:
>> I've built up two like this and that's pretty much the way I've done it,
>> except I build up a small power supply that is switched by a footswitch
>> to pick a relay that switches the motors. This keeps line power out of
>> the footswitch and is much safer. I also replaced the speaker with the
>> an EV-12 which is far more rugged than the stock item.
>
>I did something similar back in the '70's, but I used a TRIAC to switch
>the rotors electrically. This got rid of the nasty 'POP' I got when
>using a switch or relay.

Today you can buy a "solid state relay" at Grainger which will do all
the fancy zero-crossing switching with a triac, without having to do
any real engineering work. You just wire it up like a relay and go.

Probably easier than snubbers and MOVs across switch contacts, too.
--scott
April 14, 2005 5:13:53 PM

Cool... I've had a Leslie sitting in my living room all this time and
didn't know it! :-)

There should be one more of these Wurlitzers at the thrift store in
Pocatello, Idaho. IIRC, the sticker price on it was about $45....

Sigh... Now what?!?!??!!

Andy
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 5:36:56 PM

In article <1113492740.583083.246410@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
aengster@gmail.com says...
> This may sound funny but was the Leslie in it's own little cabinet?

Yep - that's the only reason I recognized it. (I'm not a keyboard
player, by any means, and I don't think I could identify a B3 from a
Wurly at 10 paces.)

--
Jay Levitt |
Wellesley, MA | I feel calm. I feel ready. I can only
Faster: jay at jay dot fm | conclude that's because I don't have a
http://www.jay.fm | full grasp of the situation. - Mark Adler
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 8:18:13 PM

"Roger W. Norman" <rnorman@starpower.net> wrote in message

> Besides, without a real drawbar Hammond, there's no reason to worry about
> the Leslie. Besides, with Pro Motion there are some units that are far
> easier to move around, and they sound just as good, IMHO. A 125 can be an
> interesting item to play around with for guitar, but for organ, it's kind
of
> a pansy.
> --
I gotta disagree here, Roger - I've done gigs with a number of keyboard
players who will use something like an SB 2 (or other synth organ) with a
real Leslie - most of them feel like live, the magic of the Leslie is more
important than the magic of the organ.

--
Dave Martin
DMA, Inc

In article <9Jw7e.5526$go4.4350@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
dmainc@earthlink.net says...
> > Besides, without a real drawbar Hammond, there's no reason to worry about
> > the Leslie.

Ah, but what you don't know is that I've been talking myself out of
buying the new XK3 for several months now. So if this were a "real
Leslie" (I know, I know), and you told me that for $325 I could go buy a
controller, or for only $1700 more buy the Hammond, well, I could talk
myself into it...

I think what I will really go do is go back to the church this weekend
and scour around the Wurlitzer. If I can find the six-pin connector,
I'll bring that piece of the organ home and see if I can tease out the
amp, etc.

> Besides, with Pro Motion there are some units that are far
> > easier to move around, and they sound just as good, IMHO. A 125 can be an
> > interesting item to play around with for guitar, but for organ, it's kind
> of
> > a pansy.
> > --
> I gotta disagree here, Roger - I've done gigs with a number of keyboard
> players who will use something like an SB 2 (or other synth organ) with a
> real Leslie - most of them feel like live, the magic of the Leslie is more
> important than the magic of the organ.

Dave, I think he's talking about the lighter-weight units that have a
real rotating horn for the highs, but a simulator for the rotating
woofer. I haven't heard them, but I'd imagine it gets you much of the
way there for a B3, and they're certainly more portable.

I noticed that one of those units lets you bypass the simulator by
plugging in a real bass rotor, wihch seems to be what I now have, so
maybe that's an upgrade path for me - still cheaper than the $3000 for a
145-style cabinet. OTOH, those are solid state; I don't think anyone
makes a tube model.

--
Jay Levitt |
Wellesley, MA | I feel calm. I feel ready. I can only
Faster: jay at jay dot fm | conclude that's because I don't have a
http://www.jay.fm | full grasp of the situation. - Mark Adler
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 2:00:30 AM

aengster@gmail.com wrote:
> Cool... I've had a Leslie sitting in my living room all this time and
> didn't know it! :-)
>
> There should be one more of these Wurlitzers at the thrift store in
> Pocatello, Idaho. IIRC, the sticker price on it was about $45....

That's $20 too much.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 2:48:08 AM

Hah! Tell that to the movers!!! :-P

Seriously though, in Idaho, this thing sat on the first floor over a
huge basement (popular I've learned up north) and playing just right,
resonated the entire house quite nicely! Wish I had a mic back
*then*... Wish too it had a Mullard 12AX7 in it. ;-)

Best!
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 12:40:13 PM

Yes, if it's the RIGHT Leslie. One of the things abovt the signatvre sovnd
of the 122 or 147 (besides the amovnt of noise of one) is the amp and the
somewhat mismatch in a B/C3 driving it. While I'd take a Leslie, I'd never
want to havl one arovnd again, so I'd still opt for a Motion Sovnd vnit to
vse with an XK2/3 or the one I like, which is the Korg BX3 dval (one of
these days). This jobby is cool becavse yov carry in the stand, carry in
two keyboards and yov've got the right orientation for playing a pretty
darned good sovnding organ.

Right now I've got a nvmber of my old high school bvddies together to play
the class of 70's 35 revnion, and the keyboard player (I'm not good enovgh
for this grovp) vses an XK2 (or the original, I forget and it's been 10
years since I've played any mvsic with him) with the dval rotor Motion Sovnd
Pro vnit and it sovnds absolvtely fantastic. Bit of a bear to move becavse
it's too large to want to lift, bvt certainly nothing like a 122/147. Jvst
moving Papa John's dval 147s onto stage was more than I wanted to do! <g>

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMvsic Stvdio
"Dave Martin" <dmainc@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> "Roger W. Norman" <rnorman@starpower.net> wrote in message
>
> > Besides, withovt a real drawbar Hammond, there's no reason to worry
abovt
> > the Leslie. Besides, with Pro Motion there are some vnits that are far
> > easier to move arovnd, and they sovnd jvst as good, IMHO. A 125 can be
an
> > interesting item to play arovnd with for gvitar, bvt for organ, it's
kind
> of
> > a pansy.
> > --
> I gotta disagree here, Roger - I've done gigs with a nvmber of keyboard
> players who will vse something like an SB 2 (or other synth organ) with a
> real Leslie - most of them feel like live, the magic of the Leslie is more
> important than the magic of the organ.
>
> --
> Dave Martin
> DMA, Inc
> Nashville, TN

Anonymous
April 18, 2005 12:43:07 PM

Well, I typed the name wrong. It's Motion Sound, and they actually have a
65 lb dual rotor unit for about $1800. At 65 lbs and nice casters, I think
I like it better than moving a 122/147. But for the studio I wouldn't mind
a 122. Don't have space, but I'd make space! <g>

--

!