Can Sprint PCS be used in Canada?

Last response: in Network Providers
July 21, 2005 6:29:04 PM

Like taking a Sprint PCS phone into Canada and
signing up for any of the PCS plans there?

More about : sprint pcs canada

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 2:52:39 PM

I was able to digital roam in Canada with extra fees applied.

"Pakistani Video" <pakistanivideo@usa.net> wrote in message
> Like taking a Sprint PCS phone into Canada and
> signing up for any of the PCS plans there?

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 3:52:51 PM

No, Sprint PCS phones are locked to Sprint PCS service.

Pakistani Video wrote:
> Like taking a Sprint PCS phone into Canada and
> signing up for any of the PCS plans there?

July 22, 2005 9:44:38 PM

It worked at Niagra Falls, and digitally toamed in Toronto.

If you will use it, call custoemr service and add canada roaming for
$3.00 - it lowers the roaming fees from .65 a minute to .35.

I personally bought a calling card there which was much cheaper.

Good Luck.

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 11:52:51 GMT, Jerome Zelinske
<jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote:

> No, Sprint PCS phones are locked to Sprint PCS service.
>
>Pakistani Video wrote:
>> Like taking a Sprint PCS phone into Canada and
>> signing up for any of the PCS plans there?

Anonymous
July 23, 2005 11:48:17 AM

Sprint used to have a $10 bucket of roaming minutes that was good for
use in Canada. I think it came out to $0.25 a minute, but you paid for
the minutes whether you used them or not. If you are roaming in Canada
watch out for extra long distance charges for calling the US which are
often tacked on top of roaming charges. Two stage dialing is often a
good thing here.

I live on the Canadian border and have a prepaid calling card with
onesuite.com which is handy because it works just as cheaply in Canada
as in the US. I use it for international calls (non-North American),
but might be helpful here.

Stu
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 2:34:01 PM

That is not what the original poster was asking.

Ret wrote:
> It worked at Niagra Falls, and digitally toamed in Toronto.
>
> If you will use it, call custoemr service and add canada roaming for
> $3.00 - it lowers the roaming fees from .65 a minute to .35.
>
> I personally bought a calling card there which was much cheaper.
>
> Good Luck.
>

> On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 11:52:51 GMT, Jerome Zelinske
> <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote:
>

>> No, Sprint PCS phones are locked to Sprint PCS service.
>>
>>Pakistani Video wrote:
>>
>>>Like taking a Sprint PCS phone into Canada and
>>>signing up for any of the PCS plans there?

Anonymous
July 23, 2005 2:34:12 PM

"Pakistani Video" <pakistanivideo@usa.net> wrote in message
> Like taking a Sprint PCS phone into Canada and
> signing up for any of the PCS plans there?

Can you take your Sprint phone into Canada and roam on it for voice calls?
yes, I have used mine in Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal and New Brunswick.

While roaming can you get internet service on the phone for checking email,
browsing WAP sites? No. That part does not work.

Could you take a Sprint phone into Canada and activate it with a Canadian
phone company? Dunno, but I have taken TDMA/Analog phones to other
countries, not Canada, and had them activated locally on Analog. (Note:
Sprint is CDMA, not TDMA). Its a bit of a process to have that done, the
overseas techs are not always familiar with your phone model and have to
hunt and peck to get it configured.

The best thing that I have found for roaming in Canada or other countries
or activating service in other countries is GSM service, not use Sprint
CDMA/Analog. Sprint does have phones that are GSM capable, but I am not
sure I would use those as I believe those are "locked" to Sprint, meaning
when you travel in GSM countries you must use your sprint number and must
pay international roaming charges. Go over to alt.cellular.gsm, they will
tell you all about this, but the best thing is to take an unlocked multiband
GSM phone overseas or Canada and pop in a local SIM card, widely available,
and voila, you are instantly activated for overseas travel with a local
number and local billing rates.
!