Did Sprints TAP system stop working?

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
July 24, 2005 3:55:17 PM

Not to confuse everone, but for some odd reason we can't send pages out
via the TAP phone number that Sprint has had for years: 888-656-1727
I've called sprint, but of course the first 3 tech support people who
tried to help me have tried using the web paging or e-mail paging
functionality. That works fine, I can send/receive sms pages just
dandy.

The critical functionality of TAP is what seems to be broken. For
those that are unfamiliar, TAP is a mechanism by which an application
can call a central paging service via modem and deliver the message via
the modem, the service then sends out a page. Why would we do this?
Well, if we need reliability for one, you can't depend on the
internet/mail to ensure the page is going out. And 2, if you are
monitoring your network infrastructure and the network line goes down,
or your exchange server goes out to lunch or for some other reason you
no longer can access the internet, your only way of getting notified
is via a landline connection to a paging system.

We had been using Sprint for years and one of our arguments for
switching our company over to Sprint PCS cellular usage was we didn't
have to wear dozens of gadgets on our belts to perform our work, such
as a pager, cell phone, pda, etc. It's all nice and consolidated on
one device.

Anyone know what's happened to the service?

Here's the debug dialog for those that understand this:
dialing service Sprint with ATDT9,1-888-656-1727
sending <ATDT9,1-888-656-1727>
sending <\r>
looking for <ATDT9,1-888-656-1727>
getpacket() got 0 bytes: <>
getpacket() got 20 bytes: <ATDT9,1-888-656-1727>
found <ATDT9,1-888-656-1727>
waiting for connection
getpacket() got 0 bytes: <>
getpacket() got 0 bytes: <>
getpacket() got 33 bytes: <CONNECT 19200/ARQ/V34/LAPM/V42BIS>
connected to remote, service=Sprint
sending <\r>
logging into Sprint
sending <\ePG1>
sending <\r>
getpacket() got 1 bytes: <\006>
login accepted
looking for <\e[p>
getpacket() got 27 bytes: <Welcome to the Openwave MMG>
getpacket() got 3 bytes: <\e[p>
found <\e[p>
Sprint says ok to proceed
sending <\0028185551212 \rTesting from the computer \r\003<19\r>
getpacket() got 1 bytes: <\006>
message accepted
page delivered, id=GXSn0020, from=[mrcpu1], to=testpager, parts=1,
msg=Testing from the computer
logging out from Sprint
sending <\004\r>
getpacket() got 0 bytes: <>
getpacket() got 0 bytes: <>
getpacket() got 8 bytes: <Good Bye>
getpacket() got 0 bytes: <>
getpacket() got 2 bytes: <\e\004>
hanging up modem

By all accounts, Sprint is accepting the messages, but they never get
delivered.
Anyone else using this service still successfully?
July 24, 2005 6:00:28 PM

Hi Scotty -
Thanks for your input - Our modem appears to be working well, we're
able to use our other paging services, such as SkyTel, to send out TAP
pages. We haven't changed phone carriers, the log seems to indicate
that Sprint has accepted our information, but the page never arrives.

Is the number I have for Sprint TAP still good? 888-656-1727?

Rick
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 12:24:22 AM

"Rick" <mrcpu1@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Not to confuse everone, but for some odd reason we can't send pages out
> via the TAP phone number that Sprint has had for years: 888-656-1727
> I've called sprint, but of course the first 3 tech support people who
> tried to help me have tried using the web paging or e-mail paging
> functionality. That works fine, I can send/receive sms pages just
> dandy.

<snip>

Nope. Still works great for me.
Washington DC via both analog pots and ISDN lines via Hayes 28.8 Acura.

Is your Modem hosed? Did you change phone carriers?

Scotty
!