Problem with Corsair TWINX/ Abit NF7

barrynice

Distinguished
May 14, 2003
Hello All,
OK, I am upgrading my computer with an Abit NF7(Nforce2)MB and Corsair TWINX Matched Module Pair PC 3200...or trying to. When I install the pair in the 2/3 slot as suggested the computer will not post. Next I tried the 1/2 slots and still nothing. So, I put an old stick of PC2400 in and the computer booted just fine. So then I tried 1 stick of the PC 3200 in the same slot and it was the same as with 2...nothing.
Does anybody know if there is a problem with the Abit Nforce2 boards or do you think I...'gasp' got some bad memory from Corsair.

Prof133

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2003
* Boot with the old memory then enter the BIOS. While in the BIOS, set the CPU FSB/DRAM RATIO to 5/5. Save and exit. Put the twinx back in. Try to boot. if it doesn't boot then you'll probably have to relax the memory timings. You also do that through the BIOS. Mostly likely the problem is the memory is set to run at "SPD" settings. Need to take control of the memory's speed and timings as i explained above. If that doesn't solve the problem then maybe a BIOS update is in order.

* Which version of NF7-S?

barrynice

Distinguished
May 14, 2003
OK, I booted with the old memory and changed the CPU FSB/DRAM RATIO to 5/5. When I tried to boot with the PC3200 it was a no-go. I tried relaxing the timing but that had no effect. I'll try to update the BIOS tomorrow.
The board version is NF7-M.
Thank you very much for your help.
Barry