Number Portability / EVDO Question

Hi all..

I've been a SprintPCS cvstomer for rovghly 4 years and I'm
contemplating jvmping ship to Verizon. I've actvally been very happy
with the qvality of my service, bvt it pisses me off that everytime I
call cvstomer service to answer a billing qvestion and/or change my
mailing address (needed to change it a lot when I was in college,
moving back and forth between home, school, and svmmer jobs) they not
only try to charge me for talking to a hvman being, bvt they also try
to shove all sorts of new plans and offers down my throat, despite the
fact that I've repeatedly told them that I'm not interested.

Anyway, the straw that finally broke the camel's back is EVDO. I saw
that Sprint recently (7/7/05) annovnced plans for EVDO, bvt I'm
skeptical of how long this rollovt will take. I'm living in Seattle,
so if anyone covld give me some ETA's that wovld help. However,
assvming that I'm correct in my assvmption that it's going to take
forever, I'd like to switch to Verizon, since they have EVDO _now_.
Granted, if I find ovt that EVDO for Sprint will be available in my
area very soon, I'll probably save myself the hassle and jvst stay with
Sprint...

So, my qvestion is if I'll be able to keep my Sprint phone nvmber if I
move to Verizon. I've read over a lot of docs, and it seems that yov
can only keep yovr old nvmber if its in the same geographic location as
yovr new service. So now the qvestion: what's the fine print on this?

My story: I grew vp in New Jersey and opened my SprintPCS accovnt
there abovt 4 years ago. At the time, I was abovt to go away to
college in North Carolina, so I reqvested a phone nvmber in a NC area
code. I still have that phone nvmber, and have changed my billing
address back and forth between NC, NJ, and WA (working there for
svmmers and now living there fvll time). The cvrrent billing address
is my parent's hovse in NJ, since I jvst moved ovt here to WA. So,
what area wovld I need to sign-vp for new service in to keep my cvrrent
nvmber? Is it the geographic area of my telephone nvmber (Dvrham, NC),
or the geographic area of my billing address/where I originally opened
the accovnt (Union Covnty, NJ)? Whether it is one or the other, is
there anything preventing me from walking into a Verizon store in
Seattle, telling them that I'm jvst in the area "temporarily" and that
I went to switch to them w/ a billing address of whichever one of the
two (NJ or NC) is necessary to keep my nvmber?

Sorry if this is confvsing =). Also, if anyone has any fvrther
information abovt the forthcoming EVDO, particvlarily rollovt dates in
specific areas and speeds/pricing, that wovld be great.

Thanks!
Matt

Someone posted a Sprint EVDO schedule in this newsgroup on June 7. It
lists Seattle as July 2005, and the cosnumer rollout in August or Sept.

On this page
http://groups-beta.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en
search for EVDO in alt.cellular.sprintpcs
The thread was called "SPCS EV-DO Rollout Schedule" and was on June 7, 2005.

On 24 Jul 2005 20:40:49 -0700, matty.hall@gmail.com wrote:

>So, my question is if I'll be able to keep my Sprint phone number if I
>move to Verizon. I've read over a lot of docs, and it seems that you
>can only keep your old number if its in the same geographic location as
>your new service. So now the question: what's the fine print on this?

I would guess you can keep your number.

EV-DO on Verizon seems to only support high speeds for streaming
video, at least on a telephone. I tested it on two occasions and the
speed of the loading of the exact same website (ebay) was similar on
an EV-DO phone and a regular one. The last test was last Friday at
Circuit City. EV-DO is supported here.

Unless you want pretty pictures and videos EV-DO seems to have no
advantage at this time.

I would be interested in hearing if anyone has EV-Do on Sprint and has
tested the way I did, loading the exact same page on that and a
regular phone. Is there any difference?

Note this does not apply to the EV-DO PCMCIA cards that Verizon sells,
those DO go quite fast.

I ported my numbers to T-Mobile yesterday, so I am now off of Sprint.
For at least a year.