Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Audacity - how record multitrack with "What-u-hear"?

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 12:06:26 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Am researching this for a friend whi has Audacity.
He laid down a Guitar track using MIC IN for input.

He then wanted to add some vocals and can do that with MIC-IN as well.

Now, he wanted to put a few piano notes via the internal virtual midi
keyboard. He did not see a selection in Audacity for something similar
to "What-u-hear" for the third track.

Any options to resolve the third track and recording of internal
sounds?


Thanks, Patty
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 12:50:44 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

pattyjamas wrote ...
> Am researching this for a friend whi has Audacity.
> He laid down a Guitar track using MIC IN for input.
>
> He then wanted to add some vocals and can do that with
> MIC-IN as well.
>
> Now, he wanted to put a few piano notes via the internal
> virtual midi keyboard. He did not see a selection in
> Audacity for something similar to "What-u-hear" for the
> third track.
>
> Any options to resolve the third track and recording of
> internal sounds?

"Record what you hear" is a function of the sound card
and its drivers. The recording software is completely
dependent on the presence (or absence) of this feature.
For example on this Dell laptop, one of the selections
for recording input is "Stereo Mix".

Some recording software adds this feature by wedging
an intermediate sound-card driver between the computer
and the sound card. For example Total Recorder from
www.highcriteria.com For $12 you can add the "record
what you hear" function to a computer/soundcard that does
not support it natively.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 10:24:16 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

I do not believe audacity is multi-track recording software compatible . I
could be wrong but I do not think it has that capability . audacity is a
good program for free .However if you friend wants to learn to do real multi
track recording they should look at a good program like N-track . N-track is
easy to use and very cool and powerful and easy on the pocket book .

--
http://www.geocities.com/rmathies99/index.html

to hear free mp3's by this artist goto
http://music.download.com/jazzartistrobertmathies
<pattyjamas@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1113447986.086383.224030@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> Am researching this for a friend whi has Audacity.
> He laid down a Guitar track using MIC IN for input.
>
> He then wanted to add some vocals and can do that with MIC-IN as well.
>
> Now, he wanted to put a few piano notes via the internal virtual midi
> keyboard. He did not see a selection in Audacity for something similar
> to "What-u-hear" for the third track.
>
> Any options to resolve the third track and recording of internal
> sounds?
>
>
> Thanks, Patty
>
Related resources
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 10:45:42 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"rmathies99" wrote ...
>I do not believe audacity is multi-track recording software compatible
>.

"Record up to 16 channels at once (requires multi-channel hardware). "
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/about/features

When I was in the 7th grade, I got a little button that said;
"We never guess. We always look it up." And that was
several decades before the internet.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 3:47:14 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Problem I have is this. I did not explain well (for my friend
actually).

He has recorded guitar with Mic In on track one.
He can record vocals on Track 2 with Mic In.
If he tries to record What-u-hear and add a virtual Piano or play a wav
file or something, then that track will record all three.

He would like to multi-track but What-u-hear is doing exactly what it
says it does---recording all tracks playing into the current track.....

So perhaps Audacity needs some other inputs or he needs to buy a MIDI
piano and I am not sure if Audacity has an input for that as opposed to
just using What you hear.....

I guess he could use Headphone out on a real Midi Piano and connect to
Line in or Mic-in.

Patty.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 8:26:40 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Well he cannot record into the 3rd track unless he uses What-U-Hear
since I think (from what he says) Audacity has no input selection for
the Virtual Piano that comes with SB Live/Audigy cards.

Ideas?

Can Audacity handle Midi-in without using What-You-Hear?

Thanks
Patty
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 10:14:07 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <1113504434.132769.36740@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com> pattyjamas@hotmail.com writes:

> He would like to multi-track but What-u-hear is doing exactly what it
> says it does---recording all tracks playing into the current track.....

Then that's not the option you want to choose.

> So perhaps Audacity needs some other inputs or he needs to buy a MIDI
> piano and I am not sure if Audacity has an input for that as opposed to
> just using What you hear.....

Nope, he just needs to open a new track in the project and he can
record into that.

> I guess he could use Headphone out on a real Midi Piano and connect to
> Line in or Mic-in.

Well, that would work too. But a Line Output is better than a
Headphone output for this.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers (mrivers@d-and-d.com)
However, until the spam goes away or Hell freezes over,
lots of IP addresses are blocked from this system. If
you e-mail me and it bounces, use your secret decoder ring
and reach me here: double-m-eleven-double-zero at yahoo
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 10:47:17 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

pattyjamas@hotmail.com wrote:
> Am researching this for a friend whi has Audacity.
> He laid down a Guitar track using MIC IN for input.

> He then wanted to add some vocals and can do that with MIC-IN as
well.

> Now, he wanted to put a few piano notes via the internal virtual
midi
> keyboard. He did not see a selection in Audacity for something
similar
> to "What-u-hear" for the third track.
>
> Any options to resolve the third track and recording of internal
> sounds?

Yes, you playback and record via different channels of the sound card.
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 7:02:06 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Sure but if you have What you Hear and want to add some other sound the
computer makes then while you are listening to the other tracks playing
and recording into perhaps 3rd track, you will get all tracks combines
into 3rd track.

Not a problem if you get it perfect the first time me thinks.

Thanks
Patty
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 7:43:28 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

hehehe

Free is easier on the pocket book. ;o)

Yes: Audacity is a multi-tracker. I use Powertracks Pro as my multi-tracker
for MIDI editing. But when it comes to "on the fly" multitrack recording, I
use Audacity. There is a convoluted way to get it to work with MIDI. But as
a straight up multi-tracker, it works pretty well, thank you.

Surfer


"rmathies99" <rmathies99@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:k0o7e.3352$716.2837@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com...
>I do not believe audacity is multi-track recording software compatible . I
> could be wrong but I do not think it has that capability . audacity is a
> good program for free .However if you friend wants to learn to do real
> multi
> track recording they should look at a good program like N-track . N-track
> is
> easy to use and very cool and powerful and easy on the pocket book .
>
> --
> http://www.geocities.com/rmathies99/index.html
>
> to hear free mp3's by this artist goto
> http://music.download.com/jazzartistrobertmathies
> <pattyjamas@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1113447986.086383.224030@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
>> Am researching this for a friend whi has Audacity.
>> He laid down a Guitar track using MIC IN for input.
>>
>> He then wanted to add some vocals and can do that with MIC-IN as well.
>>
>> Now, he wanted to put a few piano notes via the internal virtual midi
>> keyboard. He did not see a selection in Audacity for something similar
>> to "What-u-hear" for the third track.
>>
>> Any options to resolve the third track and recording of internal
>> sounds?
>>
>>
>> Thanks, Patty
>>
>
>
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 8:03:43 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Is this thread dead?

If you're still there, Patty, and your friend hasn't found a solution, you
may consider this.

To record a midi keyboard that generates its own sounds, he should plug it
into the "line in" jack on his Audigy soundcard and select "Line In" from
the Record Control Applet (double-click gray speaker in system tray,
Options, Properties, Recording, OK). Then select "Line In" in Audacity just
to be sure they correspond.

To record a midi keyboard that acts as a controller (plays his SoundBlaster
internal MIDI sounds) I would imagine he connects his keyboard to the card,
tests it, and selects MIDI as the source for recording in both the Record
Control Applet and in Audacity.

As stated, selecting "what you hear" will record every sound the keyboard
makes, the other tracks play and MSN Messenger's annoying sounds when
someone sends him a message.

Surfer

<pattyjamas@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1113521200.601841.173850@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Well he cannot record into the 3rd track unless he uses What-U-Hear
> since I think (from what he says) Audacity has no input selection for
> the Virtual Piano that comes with SB Live/Audigy cards.
>
> Ideas?
>
> Can Audacity handle Midi-in without using What-You-Hear?
>
> Thanks
> Patty
>
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 6:09:13 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Thanks. He actually is using the Midi Virtual piano that comes with
Creative Labs. He has not yet bought a real MIDI keyboard. If he had,
he owuld have little problem and you are correct. I think I did mention
he could use Line-in if he got such. Oh well.

Thanks again
Patty


Surfer wrote:
> Is this thread dead?
>
> If you're still there, Patty, and your friend hasn't found a
solution, you
> may consider this.
>
> To record a midi keyboard that generates its own sounds, he should
plug it
> into the "line in" jack on his Audigy soundcard and select "Line In"
from
> the Record Control Applet (double-click gray speaker in system tray,
> Options, Properties, Recording, OK). Then select "Line In" in
Audacity just
> to be sure they correspond.
>
> To record a midi keyboard that acts as a controller (plays his
SoundBlaster
> internal MIDI sounds) I would imagine he connects his keyboard to the
card,
> tests it, and selects MIDI as the source for recording in both the
Record
> Control Applet and in Audacity.
>
> As stated, selecting "what you hear" will record every sound the
keyboard
> makes, the other tracks play and MSN Messenger's annoying sounds when

> someone sends him a message.
>
> Surfer
>
> <pattyjamas@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1113521200.601841.173850@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> > Well he cannot record into the 3rd track unless he uses What-U-Hear
> > since I think (from what he says) Audacity has no input selection
for
> > the Virtual Piano that comes with SB Live/Audigy cards.
> >
> > Ideas?
> >
> > Can Audacity handle Midi-in without using What-You-Hear?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Patty
> >
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 2:19:17 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

<pattyjamas@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1114031353.054824.141140@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> Thanks. He actually is using the Midi Virtual piano that comes with
> Creative Labs. He has not yet bought a real MIDI keyboard.

Bwahahahaha. Sorry. Couldn't help it.

Hey: I've got a SoundBlaster Live. I've got the same keyboard. Which is why
I chuckled.

I mean: if THAT'S the keyboard he's currently using, this is one PATIENT
guy. I've got a Wacom pen tablet attached to my PC and I STILL find that
ratty little keyboard unresponsive. ;o)

> If he had, he would have little problem and you are correct.
> I think I did mention he could use Line-in if he got such. Oh
> well.

I still think the key is to switch the Play control applet into the Record
control applet and to select MIDI as the record source, and not "What U
Hear".

>
> Thanks again
> Patty
>
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 2:56:46 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

try selecting wave mapper as the record device.


<pattyjamas@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1114031353.054824.141140@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> Thanks. He actually is using the Midi Virtual piano that comes with
> Creative Labs. He has not yet bought a real MIDI keyboard. If he had,
> he owuld have little problem and you are correct. I think I did mention
> he could use Line-in if he got such. Oh well.
>
> Thanks again
> Patty
>
>
> Surfer wrote:
>> Is this thread dead?
>>
>> If you're still there, Patty, and your friend hasn't found a
> solution, you
>> may consider this.
>>
>> To record a midi keyboard that generates its own sounds, he should
> plug it
>> into the "line in" jack on his Audigy soundcard and select "Line In"
> from
>> the Record Control Applet (double-click gray speaker in system tray,
>> Options, Properties, Recording, OK). Then select "Line In" in
> Audacity just
>> to be sure they correspond.
>>
>> To record a midi keyboard that acts as a controller (plays his
> SoundBlaster
>> internal MIDI sounds) I would imagine he connects his keyboard to the
> card,
>> tests it, and selects MIDI as the source for recording in both the
> Record
>> Control Applet and in Audacity.
>>
>> As stated, selecting "what you hear" will record every sound the
> keyboard
>> makes, the other tracks play and MSN Messenger's annoying sounds when
>
>> someone sends him a message.
>>
>> Surfer
>>
>> <pattyjamas@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:1113521200.601841.173850@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>> > Well he cannot record into the 3rd track unless he uses What-U-Hear
>> > since I think (from what he says) Audacity has no input selection
> for
>> > the Virtual Piano that comes with SB Live/Audigy cards.
>> >
>> > Ideas?
>> >
>> > Can Audacity handle Midi-in without using What-You-Hear?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > Patty
>> >
>
!