Sign in with
Your question

"Dead pixel"...on a CRT????

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
July 20, 2004 1:40:24 PM

My six-year-old Sony GDM-400 (19-inch Trinitron) just developed what looks exactly like a pixel stuck on red (on an LCD display)...not terribly noticeable or annoying (near the edge) but quite visible on a light background.

Anyone else ever seen this on a CRT? Seems a little odd to me...and kind of ironic, since I just recently regulated that display to secondary use (replaced it with a 20" LCD).

More about : dead pixel crt

July 20, 2004 7:37:19 PM

That's pretty strange!

Does it show up during POST or only in Windows?

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b>
July 21, 2004 12:31:01 AM

I wouldn't know if it happens during POST because it wouldn't show up on a black background....I suppose I should try connecting the display to a different computer and see if it's still the same.
Related resources
July 21, 2004 3:50:21 AM

I did a few quick Google searches. I saw some posts (three I think) where people have found a "dead pixel" on their CRT. In all three cases the pixel was red. The posts were on different sites and in different years. Definitely not what you would call a common occurance. A couple of times someone claimed that debris can get lodged in some of the shadow mask holes. I suppose it's possible but I have no idea. I think this was just speculation anyway as none of the respondants seem to be experts.

Could it happen and could it happen on an aperture grill monitor such as yours? Who knows?

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b>
July 21, 2004 6:24:14 PM

Try tapping the side of your monitor with your hands. See if this removes the red pixel. I had a problem with my apeture grille, where you would see a vertical line acoss the screen. I called NEC, they told me to tap my screen. The tapping fixed the problem.

Good Luck,

Peter
July 29, 2004 11:40:01 AM

I have a similar problem with my monitor. Sometimes when I start the computer up there will be all these red dots everywhere and the longer I leave it on the more that appear. The only way I have found to get rid of them is to restart the computer which may take several times. The strange thing is we have another monitor at home exactly the same and older but it has never happened to that one. I am also curious as to what might cause this problem.
!