Steven21

Distinguished
May 7, 2003
Does anyone know if hardware manufacturers plan to make
Serial ATA CD/DVD/CR-R/CD-RW Drives? It would seem like the next logical step to do away with the PATA interface.

elzt

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
I don't think so, coz no optical drive can reach the speed of SATA or even ATA133 in the near future. It's just too much cost and trouble for the manufacturers to migrate their optical drives to serial considering the fact that higher data transfer rate means faster speed (eg. > 16X for DVD drives) that need to be achieved, which also means some technical difficulties like noise and vibration that the manufacturers have to overcome first.

Mortallus

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2003
SATA has benefits beyond just it's speed though. Namely: The much smaller cables can clear up a ton of space inside the case. I dont claim to know a whole ton about SATA, but I would think it'd be beneficial to switch over at some point, even if the optical drives arent utilizing the full speed capabilities of the technology.

elzt

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
I would think it'd be beneficial to switch over at some point
Yeah, your right. But that will happen only when SATA has become the mainstream IDE interface on the mobos which I think at least not in the near future.

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
expect to see SATA optical drives I believe next year, around the time of DVD-2... but for now, there is just no need yet

Hmmm, wonder if I can get a valid page fault ???
these invalid ones are far too commonplace...

tabytha77

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
Yes it would be nice to have 1 standard -- hey why not include floppy drives? But I think we've got a while to see anything more than HDD.

G

So I take it these SATA-to-IDE adaptors won't work for CD-ROMs either since SATA doesn't support ATAPI devices? :/