How to backup SD Card data so that I can format it properl..

July 1, 2004 7:11:00 PM

I'm hoping someone can help me with this situation... I have a Toshiba
256mb SD card that I purchased for my Palm Tungsten T3, and I believe
I didn't format it for use with the T3 - just plugged it into the T3
and started using it right away.

However, when I removed the SD card and plugged it into a USB card
reader and hooked that up to my PC (Windows 98SE), the PC refuses to
recognise the SD card data and kept on asking if I want to format it!

(I tested another SD card, a Lexar 64mb, on both T3 and PC and no
problems reading and transferring data to/from PC or T3 etc)

I want to be able to use my 256mb sd card on the PC so that I can
transfer large files (eg mp3) via the PC and not hotsync (which takes
ages!)... Problem is I don't know what's the best way of transferring
OUT 80+mb of data on the SD disk, format it properly (how the heck do
I do that?), and then transfer back in the data so that I can now use
it on both PC/T3.

Any ideas/advice/suggestions? :)

Saidean
Anonymous
July 2, 2004 3:19:51 AM

saidean@hotmail.com (Saidean) wrote in

> I'm hoping someone can help me with this situation... I have a Toshiba
> 256mb SD card that I purchased for my Palm Tungsten T3, and I believe
> I didn't format it for use with the T3 - just plugged it into the T3
> and started using it right away.
>
> However, when I removed the SD card and plugged it into a USB card
> reader and hooked that up to my PC (Windows 98SE), the PC refuses to
> recognise the SD card data and kept on asking if I want to format it!
>
> (I tested another SD card, a Lexar 64mb, on both T3 and PC and no
> problems reading and transferring data to/from PC or T3 etc)
>
> I want to be able to use my 256mb sd card on the PC so that I can
> transfer large files (eg mp3) via the PC and not hotsync (which takes
> ages!)... Problem is I don't know what's the best way of transferring
> OUT 80+mb of data on the SD disk, format it properly (how the heck do
> I do that?), and then transfer back in the data so that I can now use
> it on both PC/T3.
>
> Any ideas/advice/suggestions? :)

Windows98 does this a lot, with various card sizes. Remove the card
reader, then plug it back in. That usually works for me. It's a USB/W98
problem, not a problem with the card.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
July 2, 2004 3:22:10 AM

Stan Gosnell <fakename@fakeaddress.com> wrote in

> Windows98 does this a lot, with various card sizes. Remove the card
> reader, then plug it back in. That usually works for me. It's a USB/W98
> problem, not a problem with the card.

Don't format the card, it's not necessary with flash memory. Just remove the
reader and connect it again. Sometimes just wiggling a USB cable works, but
I prefer doing a complete remove/replace.

--
Regards,

Stan
July 3, 2004 9:45:05 PM

Saidean <saidean@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I want to be able to use my 256mb sd card on the PC so that I can
> transfer large files (eg mp3) via the PC and not hotsync (which
> takes ages!)...

There is a tool called PFD <http://www.pmrogan.de/site/PalmSoft.htm&gt;
that allows easy file transfer. There is no hotsync needed, you just
start a small application on the Palm and a very small file manager
application on the PC. In fact, it is a lot faster as hotsync to a
card.

> Problem is I don't know what's the best way of transferring OUT
> 80+mb of data on the SD disk, [...] and then transfer back in the
> data so that I can now use it on both PC/T3.

The tool can do that. But maybe you don't need the cardreader stuff at
the PC because the transfer via PFD is so fast.

Regards,

Guido
Anonymous
July 3, 2004 9:45:06 PM

"Guido Ostkamp" <gueltig-bis-30-06-2004@nurfuerspam.de> wrote in message
> Saidean <saidean@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > I want to be able to use my 256mb sd card on the PC so that I can
> > transfer large files (eg mp3) via the PC and not hotsync (which
> > takes ages!)...
>
> There is a tool called PFD <http://www.pmrogan.de/site/PalmSoft.htm&gt;
> that allows easy file transfer. There is no hotsync needed, you just
> start a small application on the Palm and a very small file manager
> application on the PC. In fact, it is a lot faster as hotsync to a
> card.
>
> > Problem is I don't know what's the best way of transferring OUT
> > 80+mb of data on the SD disk, [...] and then transfer back in the
> > data so that I can now use it on both PC/T3.
>
> The tool can do that. But maybe you don't need the cardreader stuff at
> the PC because the transfer via PFD is so fast.

Guido,

You can transfer large files quickly without performing a full hotsync in a couple ways. Like the
old adage, "There's always more than one way to skin a cat."

First, you can use a program called Simply Install--here's the link:

http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=software.s...

Second (my preferred choice) is to use a software program called 'Card Export' and a USB cable,
specifically Innopocket's 3-in-1 sync cable. Using Innopocket's USB cable (plug-and-play with
Windows 2000 and XP) you can connect your Palm handheld to a computer's USB port. Using the Card
Export program you can drag-and-drop files directly to the Palm's memory card using Windows Explorer
without the need to hotsync. Speed? As fast as your memory card will support--it is fast. With the
USB cable from Innopocket, you can also hotsync and it charges your handheld while plugged in.
Here's a couple more links:

Innopocket's 3-in-1 Sync Cable
http://www.innopocket.com/EShop/Main/product.php?ID=73&...

Card Export Program
http://www.softick.com/cardexport2/

--
Best regards,

Todd Shillam
Information Technology Consultant
Shillam Technology
http://shillamtechnology.point2this.com
Anonymous
July 4, 2004 1:11:58 PM

Todd,

> You can transfer large files quickly without performing a full
> hotsync in a couple ways. [...]
> Second (my preferred choice) is to use a software program called
> 'Card Export' and a USB cable [...]

thanks for your posting, but I am not the one who needs this. The PFB
program which I mentioned in my posting does the same as CardExport,
but at no costs, it's freeware.

Regards,

Guido
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 6:01:26 PM

On my PC, Mitsumi 7-in-1 3.5" floppy drive + flash card reader.
http://www.mitsumi.com/products/fa402amain.html
(try xpcgear.com for purchase at <$40)

---

Plug in SD card, drag&drop MP3 files over to SD card, load up in Zire
71, and it works. Works fine for standard PRC program files and PRB
data files as well. No problems encountered ever this way.
Anonymous
July 9, 2004 10:47:24 AM

"Guido Ostkamp" <gueltig-bis-30-06-2004@nurfuerspam.de> wrote
in news:1u7jr1-u04.ln1@320076385420-0001.dialin.t-online.de:

> There is a tool called PFD
> <http://www.pmrogan.de/site/PalmSoft.htm&gt;

Actually, that's PFB. It works very well for me, and has an
English version included. The page is in German, but you can
just click on the download link under PFB.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous