win xp pro
athlon 2000+xp
512ddr
msi mobo
ati raidon 9000 pro
ati tv-wonder ve pci
problem:
DAMN PUTER LOCKS UP ON ME!
basically i have problems when i go into the tv mode, initally i had pci soundblaster card for "better" audio & disabled my on board sound, well, put that tv-wonder in and as soon as i went to watch tv on it, it locked up... HARD... no keys worked, nothing, not even the famous "three finger solute", only the more powerful "one finger solute" (aka the reset switch). Anyways, finially i figured out it was the sound card, ripped it out, re-enabled the onboard, and bam it worked... sorta.... now every so often when i go into the tv proggy right of the bat it freezes, just like it did before, especially if i'm running another proggy in the back ground, other wise, if i let it sit for a couple hrs, in order to record a program or a channell/movie it will eventually lock up, i noticed it did last night after about two hrs, i went to bed and when i woke up i only had 2 hrs recorded even though i had plenty of space to store the video on.... i'm totally lost ATI doesn't offer jack in the way of help, so somebody if you've got a suggestion, please let me know. i'm at the point where i'm going to either do one of two things, switch to linux (which i'll prob do anyways), and/or pick up a new mobo and hope for the best.
thanks
spanky123456

spanky123456

Distinguished
May 15, 2003
I MOVED THE CARD TO A DIFFERENT SLOT, I NOTICED AN IMPROVEMENT, IT STILL HAPPENS BUT I FOUND IF I SHUT ALL OTHER PROGRAMS OFF (I.E. YAHOO, MSN, AOL MESSENGERS, ZONE ALARM) IT DOESN'T FREEZE SO MUCH. IT GOES MUCH LONGER NOW WITHOUT FREEZING WHICH IS A DRASTIC IMPROVEMENT, THANKS FOR THE HELP, I JUST WISH IT STOPPED FREEZING ALTOGHETER. BUT I GUESS I'LL TAKE WHAT I CAN GET. THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Ha! Yahoo, AOHell, and MSN all running at once. You know that AOHell doesn't know how to make stable software, no?

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

spanky123456

Distinguished
May 15, 2003
i know that, but with or without all of those running it will crash if i start to do something else, for example i was encoding a movie i recorded off the tv, anyways since it was taking a wee lil' while i decided to watch tv (on the puter) and BAM! locked up hard core. the only things that were running were, vidiomi & the ati tv proggy. go figure, it has gotten much better as i said, as long as i don't do anything else while the tv progy is running everything is cool. that is kinda where i'm leaving things, unless you've got more suggestions, cuz i'm always eager to try new stuff. thanks again

TRENDING THREADS