Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Korg Karma Questions and WTB

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 7:07:55 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

I want to buy a new Korg Karma keyboard in the Chicago area, but I may get a
better deal if I purchase it from an out-of-state dealer. Any deals out there
that you know of?

Is there a "latest and greatest" Sofware Rev that I should be aware of?

I know Korg is coming out with a new range of instruments based on the
new "Oasis" platform. Is there something coming out over the next month or so
that improves on the Karma algorithms that will be the same price
as the current Karma? Will the current Karma be discontinued and be
available at close-out prices?

Does Korg have a website that shows their new and current instruments?

For those of you that have a Karma, I have a question:

When the automatic arpeggios, etc. are played form the keyboard, are those
arpeggio and rhythmic effects output as midi data so they can be recorded by
an external sequencer and/or played on another external midi device?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bob Neumann

email:
neuelectro@email.com
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 7:07:56 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Robert W. Neumann" <rwn@nwsgpa.lucent.com> wrote in message
news:D 3olcb$385@netnews.proxy.lucent.com...
>
> I want to buy a new Korg Karma keyboard in the Chicago area, but I may get
> a
> better deal if I purchase it from an out-of-state dealer. Any deals out
> there
> that you know of?
>

You should be able to get as good a deal in Chicago as you can anywhere
else. I work for Guitar Center. If you want me to quote you a really good
price for one, e-mail me at gmclachl@webtechnik.com. I can have one
drop-shipped to your, or arrange for you to pick it up at a Chicago-area
store.

> Is there a "latest and greatest" Sofware Rev that I should be aware of?
>
The KARMA OS is version 2.0, and will come with any new Karma you buy. It is
also available as downloads and included with the KARMA expansion boards.

> I know Korg is coming out with a new range of instruments based on the
> new "Oasis" platform. Is there something coming out over the next month or
> so
> that improves on the Karma algorithms that will be the same price
> as the current Karma? Will the current Karma be discontinued and be
> available at close-out prices?
>

The KARMA is getting a bit long-in-the-tooth, but it's still my favorite
synth. I've added the Vintage Archives and Dance Extreme expansions which
are keeping me amused for the time-being.

The first OASYS is going to cost 4x as much as a Karma. I would imagine
there will be a range of OASYS synths at much lower prices, but I have not
heard anything yet.

Check out the Karma MW software and forums at www.karma-lab.com. You can use
the KARMA MW software to control Korg Triton synths as well as the KARMA,
and to edit the KARMA's General Effects (GEs). I have not purchased/used the
KARMA MW software yet, but it looks promising. The forums will give you good
insight into KARMA in all it's flavors.

> Does Korg have a website that shows their new and current instruments?
>

Yes, of course. Try www.korg.com :) 

> For those of you that have a Karma, I have a question:
>
> When the automatic arpeggios, etc. are played form the keyboard, are those
> arpeggio and rhythmic effects output as midi data so they can be recorded
> by
> an external sequencer and/or played on another external midi device?
>

The GEs (arps) do not transmit MIDI. My understanding is that the KARMA MW
software will do this. Again, I have not used the software, so I don't know
how well it works.


> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Bob Neumann
>
> email:
> neuelectro@email.com

Regards,
Gordon
!