What plan to upgrade to?

Last response: in Network Providers
August 1, 2005 1:36:37 PM

I currently have the following plan with 4 phones on the plan:

3000 Shared Minutes for $49.99
pcs FAMILY Plan (minutes Can Be Shared On This Plan )
all Minutes Include Long Distance
450 Anytime Minutes
2550 Night and Weekend Minutes
nights: M-Th 8PM-7AM Wknd: F 8PM-M 7AM
caller ID, Call Waiting, three-way Calling
free pcs Voicemail, free wireless web, free 500 pcs to pcs minutes
Additional Anytime Minutes $.40 Per Min.

It works out to about $95/month before all the taxes, surcharges & fees
($22/month). I rarely go over my 450 anytime minutes. This was a plan I
was able to get when my previous plan expired and retention offered
this to me.

I am basically happy with the plan. The problem is that my family and I
are ready to upgrade our phones (I have a sanyo 4700). We all qualify
for the $150 rebate on a phone upgrade if we either renew our current
contract for 2 years or sign a new contract.

If we upgrade our phones, I am thinking we should probable add some new
services to take advantage of the phones...like vision. (I think you
have to add vision to each vision "enabled" phone to get the rebate)

I am wondering if I should go to one of the new plans because in the
end it will be cheaper with new phones. A new plan would have to have
the following:
- a large amount of "8PM or earlier N&W" minutes
- 500 or more psc-to-psc minutes
- voicemail
- wireless web access on at least two of the phones
- no local calling area ... we travel outside our local area a lot and
enjoy not having to pay the roaming charges.

Any ideas.

Thanks

More about : plan upgrade

Anonymous
August 1, 2005 4:59:02 PM

What does Vision "really" buy me?

Can I still surf the web without it and pay a fee per kb? Can I still
check my email without it? Is there anyway to check how much you
download with a vision plan?

Thanks
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 10:39:13 PM

<frank.wilder@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I currently have the following plan with 4 phones on the plan:
>
> 3000 Shared Minutes for $49.99
> pcs FAMILY Plan (minutes Can Be Shared On This Plan )
> all Minutes Include Long Distance
> 450 Anytime Minutes
> 2550 Night and Weekend Minutes
> nights: M-Th 8PM-7AM Wknd: F 8PM-M 7AM
> caller ID, Call Waiting, three-way Calling
> free pcs Voicemail, free wireless web, free 500 pcs to pcs minutes
> Additional Anytime Minutes $.40 Per Min.
>
> It works out to about $95/month before all the taxes, surcharges & fees
> ($22/month). I rarely go over my 450 anytime minutes. This was a plan I
> was able to get when my previous plan expired and retention offered
> this to me.
>
> I am basically happy with the plan. The problem is that my family and I
> are ready to upgrade our phones (I have a sanyo 4700). We all qualify
> for the $150 rebate on a phone upgrade if we either renew our current
> contract for 2 years or sign a new contract.
>
> If we upgrade our phones, I am thinking we should probable add some new
> services to take advantage of the phones...like vision. (I think you
> have to add vision to each vision "enabled" phone to get the rebate)
>
> I am wondering if I should go to one of the new plans because in the
> end it will be cheaper with new phones. A new plan would have to have
> the following:
> - a large amount of "8PM or earlier N&W" minutes
> - 500 or more psc-to-psc minutes
> - voicemail
> - wireless web access on at least two of the phones
> - no local calling area ... we travel outside our local area a lot and
> enjoy not having to pay the roaming charges.

First off, you don't need to change plans if you find you don't need more
minutes. You could just add the Vision option to one or two phones on the
account. In saying that, that's only if your plan is still on the computer.
You may need to speak with a retention dept. rep to see if this is possible.

If you do need to add more minutes, take a good luck at the new Donnie
Osmond commercial. If you haven't seen it, go to http://sprintpcs.com/ and
click on the TV Commercial link on the bottom of the page. Once the details
come up, click the pause button to read the screen. Then play, and hit pause
each time it shows more details.

SPCS is offering the family plan for 2 phones @ $35/mo./ 800 AT minutes for
two months and up to 3 additional phones for free for those same two months.
Then the plan goes up to $70/mo, and each phone after the first 2 will cost
you an addl $10/mo. It offers unlimited N & W starting @ 9:00 PM. You would
need to add PCS2PCS to the account which would cost another $5/mo.

So, with this, it would cost $95/mo. before T & S. If you wanted Vision, the
expense on the first phone would be $15/mo. & $5/mo for any other phones you
want Vision on. That $5 is for each of those phones.

Again, I'd suggest speaking with a retention rep when going through all the
details, especially on my first paragraph, as a regular customer rep may not
be able to do that particular option.

When speaking with whoever you speak with @ SPCS, ask for an email
confirmation of the details of the changed plan, or new plan.

Bob
August 2, 2005 4:03:02 PM

> What does Vision "really" buy me?
>
> Can I still surf the web without it and pay a fee per kb? Can I still
> check my email without it? Is there anyway to check how much you
> download with a vision plan?
>
> Thanks

You obviously haven't been reading the "Stealing" thread. Without tethering
up to a phone, yes you can surf the web, to read the news. Yes, you can
check your email. In saying that you be charged $0.01/kb up and downloaded
to your phone. You can also do Text Messaging, sending pictures, set up
weather warnings or news events sent to you, and other things as well.

I get a 4 day forecast sent to my phone every morning @ 7:00 AM. I get major
news events TMed to me, whenever they occur. If I bet on sports, which I
don't, I could get games scores TMed to me.

I mentioned Vision in the prior message, as it's one of the requirements of
getting, when you use that $150 rebate option on new phones, if you upgrade
to a Vision capable phone. SPCS offers Vision for 60 days at no charge and
if you find it doesn't fit your needs you can cancel that option before your
60 days are up.

I also mentioned Vision, as you folks might be upgrading to a camera phone
or two, and sending pictures to your SPCS photo album or sending pictures to
other family or friends phones.

Bob
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 8:11:02 PM

In article <l%tHe.12249$oZ.7871@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>, "Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:

><frank.wilder@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> I currently have the following plan with 4 phones on the plan:
>>
>> 3000 Shared Minutes for $49.99
>> pcs FAMILY Plan (minutes Can Be Shared On This Plan )
>> all Minutes Include Long Distance
>> 450 Anytime Minutes
>> 2550 Night and Weekend Minutes
>> nights: M-Th 8PM-7AM Wknd: F 8PM-M 7AM
>> caller ID, Call Waiting, three-way Calling
>> free pcs Voicemail, free wireless web, free 500 pcs to pcs minutes
>> Additional Anytime Minutes $.40 Per Min.
>>
>> It works out to about $95/month before all the taxes, surcharges & fees
>> ($22/month). I rarely go over my 450 anytime minutes.

>SPCS is offering the family plan for 2 phones @ $35/mo./ 800 AT minutes for
>two months and up to 3 additional phones for free for those same two months.
>Then the plan goes up to $70/mo, and each phone after the first 2 will cost
>you an addl $10/mo. It offers unlimited N & W starting @ 9:00 PM. You would
>need to add PCS2PCS to the account which would cost another $5/mo.

What Bob is saying is that the current family offering is $70/mo for 800AT,
2 phones, UNW, and each additional phone is $10/mo. These plans *come*
with PCS2PCS, so there would not be an add'n $5 charge for it. There is a
promo going on in some markets that basically give you the two months at
half off. Vision for the first phone is now $10/mo, and each addn phone at
$5/mo. But you DON'T need to keep Vision even if, by getting a Vision
phone via the rebate requires you to first sign up for Vision.

Obviously your previous/current plan is a pretty good one and you will
end up paying more if you switch to a current offering. But you will get
more minutes: 800 vs 450AT, *and* in these F&F plans, overages are
inexpensive, not 40cents/min. You do not want to pay for Vision by the
KB, as those charges mount up very quickly. The new plan nighs start
at 9pm, not 8pm, but for an extra $5/mo, you can move that to 7pm.

The plan you currently have is one to keep if you can. I think if I were
you, if its true that you can generally keep to under 450AT in the plan,
that I would call retention, and ask them to give you a few extra minutes
per month. In the past at least, they have been willing to add minute
bundles of 180AT, for example. or more. Getting a few extra minutes
(as a condition of renewing your current plan), might allow you to keep
the great plan you have. You can also ask them (actually most CS's
will do this, don't need retention), to add a 50min/mo roaming bundle for
free *for each line*. All you have to do is say that in the areas you travel
Sprint's coverage is spotty and sometimes you find yourself roaming.
That will give you 50 minutes/mo of free roaming (off of Sprint), just in
case you need it. Finally, you can ask retention, or a suitably nice CS
to add FIMF *to each line* for free. This option is a little more elusive
but definitely doable. FIMF is "first incoming minute free". It is generally
worth about 100-200 extra minutes per month (depending on your calling
habits) and again would help you keep under that 450AT in your current plan.

I hope this helps... read www.sprintusers.com (forum Tips and Tricks) for
more info on how retention works, what is possible, etc.
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 3:21:38 PM

I have been communicating with SprintPCS via email(ecare) trying to
figure out if I should change plans. The person I have been talking to
has been really helpful.

They are offering a comparable plan for about the same money I am
paying now, but they wouldn't budge on any of the above extras (180AT,
50 mon/mo roaming,...)

I like the fact that I have a hard copy of all the details, but I guess
I am only communicating with normal CS people that don't have the
ability to throw in the extras.

Is there a way to communicate with someone in retention via email? If
not, are the retention people able to email the details of a
conversation? Will they?

I also checked out www.sprintusers.com ... there is a lot of great info
there.

Thanks
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 10:39:42 PM

frank.wilder@gmail.com wrote:
> Is there a way to communicate with someone in retention via email?

Not that I know of. Most companies make it somewhat difficult
to get past the regular CSRs. Often you practically have to
threaten to cancel your service.

> If
> not, are the retention people able to email the details of a
> conversation? Will they?

I've never heard of them doing so. I've talked to Retention
but they never offered to email, nor did I think to ask.
It wouldn't hurt to ask, telling them you need to mull it over.

--
John Richards
!