PhoenixKnights

Distinguished
May 16, 2003
Just want to know, what do you guys think of Samsung for ram? I don't have lots of money but I'm thinking I'd like to get some PC3500 ram and Samsung has some decent prices and I know they are reiable in some other realms of electronics so are they any good with Ram or is it crappy stuff?

Prof133

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2003
Give details about the motherboard/chipset to be used. The total amount you want to spend for ram? The amount of ram (512MB, 1GB, etc.)? Overclocking? Which processor? Samsung would be good in certain situations but I want to give you the best recommendation possible.;)

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
Samsung is alright. I know Corsair are/were using Samsung chips for their RAM. I would think that is a valid vote. Plus any Samsung RAM DIMMS I have bought when I wanted something cheap worked fine for me.
AREA_51

'It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames'

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
Samsung is alright. I know Corsair are/were using Samsung chips for their RAM. I would think that is a valid vote. Plus any Samsung RAM DIMMS I have bought when I wanted something cheap worked fine for me.
AREA_51

'It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames'

RCPilot

Champion
I've used it & it will run. I could run it at cas 2.0 timings. Thing is I couldn't run my MOBO in Turbo or aggressive Mode, depending what board you have. If you don't want to get out of your board what it has to offer, Samsung is ok.

Honey, what's that smell? Don't bother me now I'm working on my computer! OOPS!

PhoenixKnights

Distinguished
May 16, 2003
Well I'm just about to build a system thus the need for ram. it's going to have an athlon 2800 processor and probably a Abit NF7-S board or a Asus A7N8X board and I will be overclocking the thing a bit but I'm not made of money so I can't buy just any kind of ram I want I'm planning on getting 2 sticks of 512mb PC3500 if I can find a good company for getting it from other than corsair because corsair I would need alot more money and Samsung had a really good price so I just wondered if it was worth it or should I go for perhaps the Kingston ram or Just go for broke and empty my wallet upon some corsair ram

RCPilot

Champion
Well I run Kingston Hyper X in my rigs. I can run them at aggressive timings & OC the RAM quite a bit. On this machine I'm running 2700 @ 3200 speeds. I gained 500 3D marks just by OCing the RAM. Samsung won't do that. I think Hyper X is cheaper than Corsair, but don't know for sure. Another alternative is Gheil (sp). It's cheaper & some have good results with it.

It boils down to what you want. Do you want the most your MOBO & CPU have to offer, or do you want to cripple to some extent. Good RAM should give you at least 5% I would think.

Honey, what's that smell? Don't bother me now I'm working on my computer! OOPS!