Sign in with
Your question

win xp weird phenomena

Last response: in Windows XP
Anonymous
May 1, 2002 11:57:45 AM

hi Guys.

when i reboot my system, this takes around 14 minutes.

after i log on with my user/password,
my system stays around 10 minutes as it was freezed (no ide access, no scsi access, no display changes, no sound). i can see just the xp desktop without any movement.

what's the matter?
is someone has an idea about?

im on ntfs file system under winXP Pro OS.
i have 2 40 GB hard disks full. (around 5GB space free on each)
i used to utilize my comp for capturing.
im not connected to a LAN (sometimes this can involves network timeout when booting). its a stand alone station.

i have already:
- disable xp services
- defrag each disk with microsoft defrag and VoptXP.
- i havent <i>evil</i> background programs/applications

after the boot, everything is alright and works fine.
hardwares work fine as well. (i have tested them)
i havent touched anything from my softwares (apps, drivers). i havent installed/uninstalled anything.
moreover, i havent installed/uninstalled any hardware.

however, i think its a software issue related to the huge used capacity which is up to 70GB in 2 hard disks.
im wondering if is there a problem with the ntfs file system on huge data capacity?

i havent never had before this kind of slowness til my both hard disks passed the average capacity which is 20GB for each disk.

hoping this is sufficient to explain my issue,

thanks for any comments.

Regards.

hey, im a newbie, keep it easy men. be cool and be patient. thanks. :) 
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by blackhorse on 05/04/02 10:16 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : win weird phenomena

May 1, 2002 12:28:21 PM

gotta post a lot more details, e.g. system specs, recent changes (if any) both software and hardware, what services are running, what phase has the biggest delay, plus anything else you think may be pertinent.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
Related resources
May 2, 2002 12:28:44 AM

I have a computer and it does weird stuff. Please help.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>
May 2, 2002 1:17:25 AM

"I have a computer and it does weird stuff. Please help."

Wesley Snipes: "Throw another log on the fire!"
Sigorney Weaver: "...take off and nuke the entire site from orbit..."

Either way will cure the problem on a permanent basis. I like Ms. Weaver's solution the best, but Mr. Snipes solution is a viable alternative. Much like the differences between broad-spectrum and gram-specific anitbiotics.
May 2, 2002 3:38:18 PM

I have a problem also, my pc gives me all these funny errors and stuff, they mean nothing to me, just a lot of technobabble, please help me fix it.

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?
May 2, 2002 4:18:23 PM

Dang...I think y'all scared him straight. :lol: 

<font color=red><A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com" target="_new">btvillarin.com</A> - My Windows XP-based Website</font color=red>
May 3, 2002 7:19:11 AM

I was trying to take the high road. You guys, on the other hand.... ;-)

your road was more fun anyway...

BTW, ever seen <A HREF="http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame1.html" target="_new">This page?</A> It's hilarious. Somone who's been around here longer than me should take the time and categorize some of the veterans. We did that in a skiing forum I'm in. Funny stuff.

May 3, 2002 4:05:20 PM

Go to your local hunting store and apply for a gun license wait a few weeks then go buy a shotgun and then go home and put your system out of its misery. It doesn't deserve to live like that man!!!

:tongue: <font color=red>When overclocking always be sure to wear clean underwear!</font color=red>' :tongue:
May 3, 2002 4:45:27 PM

I already did that. Search the OTHER/OTHER section for THGC FAMILY

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>
May 3, 2002 4:51:08 PM

If it's really taking 14 minutes to load then you might want to consider checking for viruses, defragging, turning DMA on, emptying your temp folders, runnning chkdsk, updating your drivers, or easier yet, just nuking the system and starting over.

Anonymous
May 3, 2002 5:04:09 PM

penguin.

buy THGC stock options, this could be a good investment. :) 
Anonymous
May 3, 2002 6:06:22 PM

or maybe throwing away the comp and buying another one. ee.

May 3, 2002 9:09:33 PM

cool. Lemme check that out

May 3, 2002 9:20:14 PM

good job. thats some real funny stuff.

May 3, 2002 11:15:16 PM

yeah, i know this stuff & i used it a little for time to time. lol

<i>if <b>you know</b> <font color=white>you don't know<font color=black>, the way could be more easy ...
May 3, 2002 11:22:56 PM

dont forget the <b>seemingly</b> included in the <i>technobabble</i> definition. rofl.

<i>if <b>you know</b> <font color=white>you don't know<font color=black>, the way could be more easy ...
May 3, 2002 11:27:15 PM

Cursed... Evil Omen.

May 5, 2002 2:21:25 AM

14 minutes, its a pretty record, isnt it?

May 5, 2002 11:38:32 PM

the issue details have been posted. no comments?

May 6, 2002 7:57:57 AM

hmm.., no GuRu for XP weird phenomena? strange...

May 6, 2002 10:54:17 AM

where?

May 6, 2002 11:53:22 AM

oh, I didn't realize he edited it.

May 6, 2002 12:00:06 PM

thats a tough one. Can you get the task manager (while it's doing it's 10 minute thing) by hitting ctrl-alt-del? If so, is something hammered (CPU, RAM, whataver) in the performance tab? Or is there a process (try to sort by CPU or mem usage) thats obviously pinned?

Sure sounds like it's looking for a DHCP server, although that usually times out after 30 secs.

You say you think it's got to to with the disk capacity? Any chance of off loading some of that stuff (to another temporarily connected disk which you disconnect after you've moved the stuff over) just for testing pusposes? This way at least you can prove/disprove your theory?

Thats how I'd proceed anyway.

May 6, 2002 1:09:03 PM

but did you realize your typo errors? ll

May 6, 2002 1:16:19 PM

hehe.

May 6, 2002 1:33:35 PM

yes, maybe, when im disturbed during my nap... ll

Anonymous
May 6, 2002 1:40:52 PM

i have done a test which has fixed the error but the issue remains to be annoying.

when i close my unique explorer window pointing to "C:" & reboot my pc, i have again a standard boot time around 1 minute (instead of 14 minutes before).

this really puzzles me?!?

May 6, 2002 2:31:46 PM

what was the test that fixed the problem?

When the PC finally comes up, is there an explorer window there?

Anonymous
May 6, 2002 3:30:23 PM

no, there is no explorer window and because of that the issue didnt appear again.
simply closing the UNIQUE explorer window before the reboot solves my problem.

but of course i cant close all explorer windows and maybe all the other task/application windows before each time i close or reboot the system.
its rather annoying, isnt it?

plus that i can say about my issue when the OS is booting it is that there is also no disk access nor whatsover til 10 or 12 minutes then after this period the OS seems to boot normally and takes around 2 minutes more.

but i repeat simply closing the window before solves this strange affection.

im really puzzle about?!?

im wondering if it is ntfs related, disk data size related, frag related (though i already did a defrag) or something else...

May 6, 2002 3:51:45 PM

Ok... this hasn't been asked, and I am very curious to know...

What is this UNIQUE explorer window you keep referring to?

Perhaps if we knew exactly what this was and why it's open when you reboot, then we could more accurately assess what's going on... for all I know it's probably the source of your problem.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>
May 6, 2002 3:52:57 PM

what is that particular window doing (before you close it)? Is it accessing a drive?

Anonymous
May 6, 2002 3:59:11 PM

just pointing to the primary drive "C:" but nothing else.
idle mode.

May 6, 2002 4:02:15 PM

Is it a regular windows explorer window, or is it from some other program?

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>
Anonymous
May 6, 2002 4:02:48 PM

he. the explorer window:

%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe
path: %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%

if this is not rather clear i dunno what can i do more?!?

Anonymous
May 6, 2002 4:05:17 PM

he. the explorer window:

%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe
path: %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%

if this is not rather clear i dunno what can i do more?!?

but i can try to clarify whatsoever to help you to understand accurately my problem.

Anonymous
May 6, 2002 4:06:59 PM

yes, it is a regular one.

Anonymous
May 6, 2002 4:11:57 PM

i have already done those but i prefer nevertheless to avoid to nuke my 40GB system. :) 

May 7, 2002 4:29:48 AM

Are you related to Labdog?

:smile: <b><font color=blue> I took an I.Q. test today...It came back negative.</font color=blue></b> :lol: 
May 7, 2002 4:53:46 AM

That's mean. Don't insult the poor guy.

May 7, 2002 4:56:30 AM

I was not trying to insult him, just asking a question.

:smile: <b><font color=blue> I took an I.Q. test today...It came back negative.</font color=blue></b> :lol: 
May 7, 2002 4:59:41 AM

I'm a bit unclear as to what explorer window you have open when you start your computer up. What unique window that points to C: in idle mode are you talking about and what does this mean?

When you start your pc are you hybernating and then restoring the desktop to a previous state with an explorer window? Are you connected to the internet to some garbage website? Do you have any spyware on your system? Download adaware from download.com to check. Is your system swamped with multiple peer-2-peer programs like Kazaa and Bearshare? Do you have multiple chat programs like ICQ installed? Are your virus definitions up to date? Have you defragged, updated drivers, and cleared the temp folders? Have you tried running bootvis to improve performance? Have you disabled services, and are you sure you didn't disable any critical ones?

Just some stuff to think about. I didn't notice your edited post before.

May 7, 2002 5:03:54 AM

I knew that but thank you.

Anonymous
May 7, 2002 5:34:03 PM

i would like to point out that this is a WEIRD PHENOMENA.
and indeed its a "simple" explorer window (an explorer.exe task) which is opened during the previous OS session and which involves a 10 minutes standby during the next comp reboot.

Quote:
When you start your pc are you hybernating and then restoring the desktop to a previous state with an explorer window?

not hybernating anyway.

Quote:
Are you connected to the internet to some garbage website? Do you have any spyware on your system?

not at all. i havent background or evil trojan horse programs. whatever im protected against.

note:
i have a real time virus tracker, a real time email tracker, a real time ActiveX tracker, a real time Applet tracker, a firewall.

Quote:
Download adaware from download.com to check.

i think its not relevant. im not on the Internet during the reboot.

Quote:
Is your system swamped with multiple peer-2-peer programs like Kazaa and Bearshare?

not at all.

Quote:
Do you have multiple chat programs like ICQ installed?

i think its not relevant. im not on the Internet during the reboot. but whatever i have disable them.

Quote:
Are your virus definitions up to date?

yes, in real time.

Quote:
Have you defragged, updated drivers, and cleared the temp folders?

yes, i already did.

Quote:
Have you tried running bootvis to improve performance?

i dont know this program but if it is a good XP OS tweaker, this could be helpful.

Quote:
Have you disabled services, and are you sure you didn't disable any critical ones?

yes, i think so.

!