Sign in with
Your question

BSOD on mature hardware after reformat/install

Last response: in Windows 7
June 30, 2012 12:17:17 AM

I've been quite perplexed about blue screen issues that have developed after several years of use on this computer. The symptoms developed around the same time that my CMOS battery was failing. I did not know this to be the case until I was speaking with Asus about the motherboard because I couldnt get the system to pass POST. I replaced the CMOS battery and the system was able to pass POST.

I believe I first noticed issues after this event when I would return to the computer after idle. I could not get anything on the screen after tapping keys/mouse clicks. I would have to hard restart. Some times I noticed that I would return to my computer at the log in screen and not my desktop as I left it. When logging into windows, it informed me that it recovered from a BSOD. At that time, I would commonly see BSOD errors of IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL from a crash analyzer "WhoCrashed".

At first I was skeptical of my memory, thinking the blue screens were caused by RAM access violations. I ran the Windows diagnostic tool and also Memtest on my memory modules. They passed the test but I was still not convinced. I replaced the ram with their exact replacement but the problem persisted. Beginning to see more SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCPTION errors, I thought I would reformat and reinstall windows in case it was related to drivers.

I reinstalled windows and I still have the same kinds of BSOD issues. The crashes will occur at idle and during games. I updated the BIOS to the latest firmware and installed chipset drivers. I installed the most recent version of video card drivers and Windows Update has been performed. Within the last few days, i've seen new BSOD error types: WDF_VIOLATION and KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED.

Mobo: ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

Video Card: ASUS EAH5750 FORMULA/2DI/1GD5/A Radeon HD 5750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16

PSU: 650 Watt

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

I would be happy to provide any crash dumps or additional information that would lead to a starting point with troubleshooting.
a b $ Windows 7
June 30, 2012 12:27:10 AM

when you replaced the cmos battery, it reset the bios to default values. perhaps you need to change some settings in the bios? I would check the Power section of the bios.
June 30, 2012 3:05:45 AM

Thank you for the reply. I have changed the memory settings from [Auto] to 1600 Mhz settings in the BIOS previously. Aside from that, i'm using the Q-fan settings for fan control. I've tried toggling these on and off, they dont seem to have an effect on the BSOD issues. I've also tried just the default profile.
!