Mic drum kit with what i've got?

Last response: in Home Audio
April 16, 2005 9:22:37 PM

I play in a hard rock band. I've recorded a couple times..but pretty
junior. I'm recording a kit this week with a PC using Delta1010LT and
a Mackie 1202-VLZ. I've got the ability to record 5 tracks for the kit
if need be.
I've got the following mics...
*2 x Shure Beta 57A
*1 x Shure Beta 52
*1 x Audio Technica 450HE
*1 x Shure Unidyme (Old School)
I'll put 1 x 57A on the snare, 1 x 52 on the kick drum.
Any recommendations on how to set the mics up beyond this?

More about : mic drum kit

Anonymous
April 16, 2005 10:55:20 PM

Well, with these mics listed, I'd probably use the two 57s as
overheads. Then the 52 in the kick. Try one of the others on the
snare if you need it. Then the other somewhere in the room that sounds
ok. You could use that one to just squash with a compressor. That's
probably what I would start with anyway.

Of course, that's knowing nothing about the room, kit, drummer, or
anything else about the session.

later,

grindcore76 wrote:
> I play in a hard rock band. I've recorded a couple times..but pretty
> junior. I'm recording a kit this week with a PC using Delta1010LT
and
> a Mackie 1202-VLZ. I've got the ability to record 5 tracks for the
kit
> if need be.
> I've got the following mics...
> *2 x Shure Beta 57A
> *1 x Shure Beta 52
> *1 x Audio Technica 450HE
> *1 x Shure Unidyme (Old School)
> I'll put 1 x 57A on the snare, 1 x 52 on the kick drum.
> Any recommendations on how to set the mics up beyond this?
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 2:13:19 PM

cool, i'll start w/beta 57s overhead and 52 on kick. if that doesn't
work, i'll add unidyne 545sd on the snare...and if i need more high
end, i'll add the AT 450HE-1 to the mix. thanks guys!
April 17, 2005 5:29:06 PM

In article <1113697357.955092.64580@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
grindcore76 <pottenge@yahoo.com> wrote:
>I play in a hard rock band. I've recorded a couple times..but pretty
>junior. I'm recording a kit this week with a PC using Delta1010LT and
>a Mackie 1202-VLZ. I've got the ability to record 5 tracks for the kit
>if need be.
>I've got the following mics...
>*2 x Shure Beta 57A
>*1 x Shure Beta 52
>*1 x Audio Technica 450HE
>*1 x Shure Unidyme (Old School)
>I'll put 1 x 57A on the snare, 1 x 52 on the kick drum.
>Any recommendations on how to set the mics up beyond this?

The basic key to a natural kit sound is a good overhead or overhead pair.
You can survive with just a single overhead if it's a good enough mike
and you place it properly. Can you round up even one decent condenser
mike?

The better the overhead, the less spotting you'll need.
--scott
April 17, 2005 6:31:47 PM

>>if need be.
>>I've got the following mics...
>>*2 x Shure Beta 57A
>>*1 x Shure Beta 52
>>*1 x Audio Technica 450HE
>>*1 x Shure Unidyme (Old School)
>>I'll put 1 x 57A on the snare, 1 x 52 on the kick drum.
>>Any recommendations on how to set the mics up beyond this?

unidyne on the snare, the 57's as over heads and the 52 on kick.
Probably a good starting point!
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 7:11:02 PM

On 4/16/05 8:22 PM, in article
<pottenge@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I play in a hard rock band. I've recorded a couple times..but pretty
> junior. I'm recording a kit this week with a PC using Delta1010LT and
> a Mackie 1202-VLZ. I've got the ability to record 5 tracks for the kit
> if need be.
> I've got the following mics...
> *2 x Shure Beta 57A
> *1 x Shure Beta 52
> *1 x Audio Technica 450HE
> *1 x Shure Unidyme (Old School)
> I'll put 1 x 57A on the snare, 1 x 52 on the kick drum.
> Any recommendations on how to set the mics up beyond this?

Beta 57's OH and hit it...

!