Win7 Install doesn't show HDD - is my GRAID SCSI disk device the prob?

mark91731

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
I am trying to overwrite Win7 32-bit with Win7 64-bit. When I run Win7 install it does not find my two HDDs (they are RAID-1).

When I look in my Device Manager (before starting the install process) under "Disk Drives" it only shows "GRAID SCSI disk device" and some other drives that are not hard drives. It does not show two HDDs.

The BIOS shows both drives and shows a GRAID-1 configuration.

I am not sure what to do next to get Win7 to either find the HDDs to write the new Win7 to or do something with the "GRAID SCSI disk device."

I bought this machine like this and am not familiar with how to set these things up: I am not an expert.

Anyone know what I need to do to get the new Win7 to find HDDs to write to -- or some other solution?

Thanks,
Mark

Solution
There are drivers for the GRaid controller on the Gigabyte motherboards. I love the controller. Look online for GSATA Drivers and you should find Windows 7 (both 32 and 64 bit) drivers. You can then put them on a USB, Floppy, etc. drive and load them as part of the install process. Use custom install and when you are at the point where you select the drive you want to install Windows onto, you will see a button for Load Drivers.

I hope this helps.

mark91731

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012

Would these be Hard disk drivers? GRAID SCSI device drivers? I don't know where to start or which to find drivers for....

Hi :)

The answer to that depends on what TYPE of drives they are....SCSI, SATA, SSD ...

USE the appropriate drivers....

Specs would help.... is this a second hand machine ?

All the best Brett :)

mark91731

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012

The HDDs are SATA-II. This is a machine I had built for me 3 years ago. Here how it is described on the invoice:

Motherboard: GigaByte MA790XT-UD4P AM3 DDR3 790X CrossFire Chipset with Quad PCIE slot SATA RAID MB wGbLAN, USB2.0, IIII 1394, & 7.1 Audio

CPU: AMD Phenom-II X4 965 Black Edition QUadCore CPU

HDD: RAID-1, 2 identical HDD 250GBx2 Sata-II 3.0Gb/s 8mb cache 7200 RPM

Memory: PNY 1x4GB DDR3
Win-7 Home Premium 32-bit

mark91731

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
Resolution:

I could not find the Gigabyte drivers needed to make the Win7-64-bit install see the drives (the drivers on the website did not solve the problem). It was strange because the GRAID had been operating under Win-7 32-bit all along with no problems. I couldn't figure out why the drivers were suddenly not allowing Windows to see the drives when trying to install Win-7 64-bit.

Anyway, I unplugged from the GRAID plug on the motherboard and plugged into a regular SATA plug. As soon as I did that, Win-7 recognized the two drives and the install process began. I abandoned the RAID because I was not sure I needed it and just went with an OS install to one and use the other as data storage and backup.

Thank all for the kind suggestions. I do appreciate them.

clarkede

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
There are drivers for the GRaid controller on the Gigabyte motherboards. I love the controller. Look online for GSATA Drivers and you should find Windows 7 (both 32 and 64 bit) drivers. You can then put them on a USB, Floppy, etc. drive and load them as part of the install process. Use custom install and when you are at the point where you select the drive you want to install Windows onto, you will see a button for Load Drivers.

I hope this helps.

Solution