512 or 1gb and then some

Drexel

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2002
Yeah, so im in the mood to get a computer upgrade, do I need it? no, but I want it.

Currently I have a A7N8X deluxe with a 1.4Athlon with two sticks of crucial 2100 cl2.5 ram and a 8500 All in Wonder 128mb v-card

My next purchase I believe is gonna be the 2500 Barton, my question is,
which memory should I get?
And will 1gb of memory really help over 512?
Also, I've been reading some people's posts, and some people said they dont like the twin memory, some say the XMS single memory is actually working better in dual memory settings than the twin packs.
Also (haha, sorry) will I be fine saving money and getting the kingston hyperX stuff? People say its pretty good, but I dont like going cheap (but im a college student, so it helps getting cheaper stuff)

One last thing, maybe I should put this on the motherboard board, but here goes: Will upgrading the motherboard help my system out any? I have the A7N8X Deluxe version 1 (kinda upset when I read about his v2.0 board)

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
Unless you are doing something pretty heavy you will not see any difference between 512Meg and 1Gig. Save your money go 512Meg and buy something else like a better CPU. Oh and the TwinX is the same as XMS but the TwinX has been tested to work in dual channel and the XMS has not. And Kingston HyperX is perfectly fine memory. There is nothing wrong with it and I would recommend it for someone on a budget. Last dont worry about the motherboard unless you are overclocking to the limit the performance difference will be so small it is not worth your while.
AREA_51

'It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames'

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
No Problem.
AREA_51

'It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames'