Why is knowbody answering my questions in.........

zemuron

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
Why is knowbody answering my questions in my other thread called "Is this 56k modem a winmodem?". I decided to make this thread because maybe my other one is too big.

alltaken

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
does it really matter if its a winmodem??

now i jsut installed linux expecting it to not understand winmodems (mandrake 9.1) i don't even own a modem of anykind anyway.

but in the options to set up your internet connection it had a tick box for a WINMODEM.

so altough i am new to linux i guess that means someone has written some code allowing a winmodem (i may be mistaken)

Alltaken

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You don't even know if you have an ISA or PCI modem. The ISA modem was switchable between PNP and jumper-configured. In PNP mode it was called a "Winmodem" even though it used hardware for everything. As I recall, all PNP modems are called "winmodems" which is different than being called "softmodems", although people confuse the two.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

zemuron

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
alltaken: Yes it matters if it's a winmodem. Because I play new online games like battlefeild 1942. And that game doesn't work well on a winmodem.

What tick box are you talking about? Is it to change it to a winmodem or a non winmodem. If so I don't think it's for that because I don't think it's possible to do.

Crashman: Were you talking to me when you said?:

"You don't even know if you have an ISA or PCI modem".

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Zemuron on 05/18/03 04:28 AM.</EM></FONT></P>