Which partition can optimize performance?

cpcpatrick

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2001
I have a 120GB IDE HDD. Which type of the partition can optimize my performance. I would like to use winxp and win2k server.

Thanks

elzt

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
Maybe I'm the only one who doesn't understand your question. :)
But did you mean the optimal size of each partition? Or did you mean the type
of file system (FAT, NTFS, etc) to be used for each partition? Or what?

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
elzt has it right; the question is a little vague. The type of partition really has nothing to do with system performance ... other aspects come into play, such as the cluster size, the kind of file system, whether the data is striped or mirrored, etc.

In <i>very</i> general terms, for a multi-boot scenario like this, I'd have four partitions ... two primary for the operating systems (with the first set as "active"), and an extended that contained two logical drives for the rest of the free space (equally allocated), with each logical drive dedicated to an individual OS, for personal files, data, backups, etc. I'd probably have a 4-5GB partition for WinXP, and around 7GB for Win2K Server. Then I'd install the majority of programs for each operating system in the logical volumes, to keep the data for each OS isolated, and to make backing up the operating systems an easier, faster proposition.

I'd use the NTFS file system for additional features and stability. And I'd be sure to install the older OS first, as to avoid problems with the boot loader and boot files.

But all of this really depends on how you intend to use the system, the kind of programs you intend to run, and your own personal preferences.

Toey

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=328&s=91c282f2e5207e99b7a652ee13b3512a" target="_new"><font color=green>My System Rigs</font color=green></A>

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/" target="_new"><b><font color=purple>BTVILLARIN.com</font color=purple></b></A> - <i><font color=orange>Your Computer Questions Answered</font color=orange></i>