automatic service contract extensions

Last response: in Network Providers
August 13, 2005 5:43:07 AM

I recently switched my line from one account to another by signing a
Responsibility Transfer form at the Sprint store. I did not see anything
about a new service agreement either on paper or on the phone when I called
to confirm the transfer. However I got my confirmation in mail today and on
it stated that I now have a new 2 year service agreement on my line. Is this
normal for a transfer/plan change of a phone that has been out of the
contract for almost 2 years? I did not want to get a new phone or a new
contract. All I wanted was to transfer the line to a different account.

I called Sprint and the representative told me that the new contract is
added automatically by the system, and I can't get out of it. I told them
that I would consider canceling the line if I can't get rid of the contract
(that I did not know about) but their answer is that I would have to pay a
$150 early termination fee, according to the contract that I did not
knowingly authorize. When I told them that there shouldn't be a contract to
begin with they kept bringing up the one that should have expired almost 2
years ago. I was on the phone with them for almost an hour before they
decided to hang up on me.

Now my question is, if I had been out of my previous contract for almost 2
years, what makes Sprint think that they can add another 2 years on my line
without even telling me when I asked for the line transfer? I didn't even
ask for a new phone or take advantage of any of their special offers. Is it
even legal for them to automatically bind me to another 2 years without
disclosing the information to me first?

Any ideas or comments?

Thanks
August 13, 2005 11:37:30 AM

"Eddie Chen" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:D dk4q7$q22$1@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu...
>I recently switched my line from one account to another by signing a
> Responsibility Transfer form at the Sprint store. I did not see anything
> about a new service agreement either on paper or on the phone when I
> called
> to confirm the transfer. However I got my confirmation in mail today and
> on
> it stated that I now have a new 2 year service agreement on my line. Is
> this
> normal for a transfer/plan change of a phone that has been out of the
> contract for almost 2 years? I did not want to get a new phone or a new
> contract. All I wanted was to transfer the line to a different account.

Eddie---
Similar thing happened to me. My content manager disappeared from my Vision
Package so that I could not download applications, games, or any other
content items. Called Sprint to remedy the problem. They couldn't fix the
problem, but suddenly my contract was extended for a new two year period.

Not a single change was made to the account on that call. And I still don't
have my Sprint Vision package working properly.

I won't be back for another two years when these are up!

SG
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 4:43:14 PM

"Eddie Chen" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:D dk4q7$q22$1@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu...
> I recently switched my line from one account to another by signing a
> Responsibility Transfer form at the Sprint store. I did not see anything
> about a new service agreement either on paper or on the phone when I
called
> to confirm the transfer. However I got my confirmation in mail today and
on
> it stated that I now have a new 2 year service agreement on my line. Is
this
> normal for a transfer/plan change of a phone that has been out of the
> contract for almost 2 years? I did not want to get a new phone or a new
> contract. All I wanted was to transfer the line to a different account.

When you say above you "switched your line", are you trying to tell us you
changed plans? Are there any additional details you didn't mention, like
getting a new phone, and using Sprint's rebate on the new phone? Or ... did
you add the 7:00 PM N & W option to your account?

We need some additional details.

<snipped>

Bob
Related resources
August 13, 2005 4:43:15 PM

Bob Smith wrote:
> "Eddie Chen" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:D dk4q7$q22$1@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu...
>> I recently switched my line from one account to another by signing a
>> Responsibility Transfer form at the Sprint store. I did not see
>> anything about a new service agreement either on paper or on the
>> phone when I called to confirm the transfer. However I got my
>> confirmation in mail today and on it stated that I now have a new 2
>> year service agreement on my line. Is this normal for a
>> transfer/plan change of a phone that has been out of the contract
>> for almost 2 years? I did not want to get a new phone or a new
>> contract. All I wanted was to transfer the line to a different
>> account.
>
> When you say above you "switched your line", are you trying to tell
> us you changed plans?

He was very clear about what he did: he moved his account from one
person's name--hence responsibility--to another's (e.g., from one spouse
to another).

Perhaps if you hadn't snipped the part where he wrote "I didn't even ask
for a new phone or take advantage of any of their special offers" you
wouldn't need any answers.

The issue is if transferring an account causes a de facto contract
extension (or new contract, if there wasn't one previously). For all I
know, that could have been in the fine print on the "Responsibility
Transfer form" he signed. But if it's not on there, and not stated
somewhere else (e.g., TOS) then I'd say he shouldn't have to put up with
this nonsense.

If it were me, after I checked everything over--three times--I'd only
give SPCS one more chance to rectify the situation. After that I'd be
filing a complaint with my state's Attorney General's office (and with
Kansas) as well as any other agency that would listen. If there was
never a consent, implied or otherwise, to a two-year contract than
SPCS's actions border on criminal (the ETF threats sure smell a lot like
extortion to me).

--
Mike | As the light changed from red to green to yellow
| and back to red again, I sat there thinking about
| life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking
| and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 8:46:27 PM

"Tinman" <mlynch@REMOVEMEcitlink.net> wrote in message
> Bob Smith wrote:
> > "Eddie Chen" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > news:D dk4q7$q22$1@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu...
> >> I recently switched my line from one account to another by signing a
> >> Responsibility Transfer form at the Sprint store. I did not see
> >> anything about a new service agreement either on paper or on the
> >> phone when I called to confirm the transfer. However I got my
> >> confirmation in mail today and on it stated that I now have a new 2
> >> year service agreement on my line. Is this normal for a
> >> transfer/plan change of a phone that has been out of the contract
> >> for almost 2 years? I did not want to get a new phone or a new
> >> contract. All I wanted was to transfer the line to a different
> >> account.
> >
> > When you say above you "switched your line", are you trying to tell
> > us you changed plans?
>
> He was very clear about what he did: he moved his account from one
> person's name--hence responsibility--to another's (e.g., from one spouse
> to another).
>
> Perhaps if you hadn't snipped the part where he wrote "I didn't even ask
> for a new phone or take advantage of any of their special offers" you
> wouldn't need any answers.
>
> The issue is if transferring an account causes a de facto contract
> extension (or new contract, if there wasn't one previously). For all I
> know, that could have been in the fine print on the "Responsibility
> Transfer form" he signed. But if it's not on there, and not stated
> somewhere else (e.g., TOS) then I'd say he shouldn't have to put up with
> this nonsense.
>
> If it were me, after I checked everything over--three times--I'd only
> give SPCS one more chance to rectify the situation. After that I'd be
> filing a complaint with my state's Attorney General's office (and with
> Kansas) as well as any other agency that would listen. If there was
> never a consent, implied or otherwise, to a two-year contract than
> SPCS's actions border on criminal (the ETF threats sure smell a lot like
> extortion to me).

Yes, I did snip out that part, and no, I didn't pay attention to his one
comment with his wife. What I didn't hear though was whether there was a
plan change on the other account. If, and I stress if, he moved his account
to the other, and it was necessary to open a family plan, then the contract
may have been necessary.

Bob
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 8:17:01 PM

In article <DtpLe.5050$RZ2.2445@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net says...
> Yes, I did snip out that part, and no, I didn't pay attention to his one
> comment with his wife. What I didn't hear though was whether there was a
> plan change on the other account. If, and I stress if, he moved his account
> to the other, and it was necessary to open a family plan, then the contract
> may have been necessary.

Therein, I suspect, lies the issue. If two phones were "merged" into
one account, and minutes on a shared plan were the result, then the
phone being transferred had to be moved into an appropriate plan code.
This does indeed require a contract renewal. No such renewal would have
been necessary had this been ONLY a (in Sprint's terminology) Transfer
of Responsibility.

Bob's right, there's some information not quite clear in Eddie's
description. And maybe that's because Eddie wasn't told. It appears,
from this incomplete information, that the store rep didn't communicate
all the consequences of what was done.

--
RØß
O/Siris

"O/Siris" <0siris@mywây.côm> wrote in message
<snipped>

Bob's right, there's some information not quite clear in Eddie's
description. And maybe that's because Eddie wasn't told. It appears,
from this incomplete information, that the store rep didn't communicate
all the consequences of what was done.

--
RX_
O/Siris

Speaking of which, just where is Eddie? He does this hit & run post, yet
doesn't bother to provide any additional details when asked?

Bob
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 5:32:30 AM

In article <Hs3Me.8113$ns.1218@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net says...

> Speaking of which, just where is Eddie? He does this hit & run post, yet
> doesn't bother to provide any additional details when asked?

On fact of Customer Service, Bob, is that they never call back to say
it's working. :)

--
RØß
O/Siris
A thing moderately good
is not so good as it ought to be.
Moderation in temper is always a virtue,
but moderation in principle is always a vice.
+Thomas Paine, "The Rights of Man", 1792+
November 27, 2006 12:51:48 PM

I read your information quoted below. There are several people who have experienced this type of situation. I am hiring an attorney as I had 5 lines and they wanted to charge me $200 per line. I would rather pay an attorney $1000 than Sprint for this type of deceitful practice. Interesting in joining?

Quote:
[...]

April 3, 2007 3:26:27 AM

Hey All- Similar but yet different story:

Just want to add my wifes woes to what Sprint has done, and continues to do. This is a letter I wrote to Sprints CEO, on her behalf. His office received it on Friday March 30, 2007.

I am very interested in finding someone in senior management to talk with who can help with our situation.

This is the letter:

March 29, 2007

Mr. Gary D. Forsee
Sprint Nextel Corp.
2001 Edmund Halley Drive
Reston, VA 20191

RE: Sprint PCS balance due of $133.00 validity and identity

Dear Mr. Forsee,

I am writing to you concerning a recent challenge that I have experienced with your company and am seeking your assistance in resolving it.

Facts:

•Sprint PCS phone number: ###-###-#### with contract March 2003 – March 2005

•July of 2005 changed service to Verizon initiated by Verizon store

•Received and paid final Sprint phone bill in August 2005

•November 2005 received a $133.00 fee with no explanation

•Contacted Sprint Customer care who informed me that they had no information about the fee, but that it is valid and must be paid

•Received a bill from Afni, Inc credit company February 2006

•Contacted Afni, Inc.who refused to provide any information until the $133.00 was paid

•February 2007 received derogatory credit information stating balance of $133.00 past due reported by Afni, Inc. on behalf of Sprint

•On 2/12/07 contacted Sprint PCS and was shuffled three times between Customer Care, Collections and finally your hired collection agency, Afni. All of who confirmed a balance but could not identify the charge.

•On 3/28/07 I once again contacted Sprint Customer Care who transferred me to Collections (spoke with Alan – very nice and seemed to care) who confirmed a $133.00 balance but could not identify the charge.

As a Sales Manager for (Name of employer) I am very aware of how important customer service is. We value our clients and do our best to resolve matters where they are unsatisfied. I am extremely unsatisfied with the service I have received regarding this charge from Sprint. I am still one of your customers and have a Sprint phone through my company at: ###-###-####. My credit has been adversely affected by this $133.00 charge that was reported to the three Credit Bureaus. I am four months pregnant and am in the process of securing a mortgage for my new home which is predicated upon resolving this matter.

I am asking for your assistance in resolving this with what I believe to be the only two rational outcomes:

•If the charge is valid please identify what the charge is for (so I may pay what I owe) but rectify all negative remarks reported by Sprint PCS and Afni, Inc. to the three Credit Bureaus as a zero balance and never delinquent. I believe that this is fair and rational since the situation could have been avoided from the very beginning in November 2005 when I first inquired about the $133.00 charge.

•If the $133.00 charge is not valid and the result of an inadvertent error please rectify all negative remarks reported by Sprint PCS and Afni Inc. to the three Credit Bureaus as a zero balance and never delinquent.

I appreciate your time and consideration and look forward to hearing from you in the near future. I can be reached via:

Regards
!