Best PZM for drum room mic

Last response: in Home Audio
April 18, 2005 6:55:34 AM

I'm finding more and more that adding mics in odd places around the room
gives wierd and wonderful results for rock drum miking. I'm like to get a
couple of pzms for the mic locker to give me more room mic choices. What
model is best for this application and what do you use your PZM for most.

I'm looking at a CROWN PZM-30D, which seems to fit the criteria

Martin

More about : pzm drum room mic

Anonymous
April 18, 2005 6:55:35 AM

news <mquinn@eircom.net> wrote:
>I'm finding more and more that adding mics in odd places around the room
>gives wierd and wonderful results for rock drum miking. I'm like to get a
>couple of pzms for the mic locker to give me more room mic choices. What
>model is best for this application and what do you use your PZM for most.

I basically look at the PZM as a one-trick pony to fix particular room
problems. Not something I use very often, but when I have to deal with
slap echo, it's one of the first things I pull out of the cabinet.

>I'm looking at a CROWN PZM-30D, which seems to fit the criteria

It's as good as any for the job, I suspect.
--scott
April 18, 2005 6:55:36 AM

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> I basically look at the PZM as a one-trick pony to fix particular room
> problems. Not something I use very often, but when I have to deal with
> slap echo, it's one of the first things I pull out of the cabinet.

I've also seen boundary mikes (ab)used as chorus mikes -- one team had
several of them mounted on 2'x2' sheets of clear plexy (to provide the
surface which creates the boundary/pressure zone), then mounted that
plexy on stands. Since I was performing rather than playing tech at the
time, I didn't have a chance to ask how well this actually worked. It
_looked_ odd, but on a large and cluttered stage it didn't seem
unacceptable.

If anyone has a clue about what problem this kluge is supposed to solve,
I'd be interested... I'm guessing that it was an attempt to do something
that amounts to a half-omni, less directional than a cardioid but still
relatively deaf to things happening on the other side of the plastic.

>>I'm looking at a CROWN PZM-30D, which seems to fit the criteria
>

> It's as good as any for the job, I suspect.
> --scott
April 19, 2005 12:42:55 AM

In article <ssE8e.51728$Z14.40718@news.indigo.ie>, news
<mquinn@eircom.net> wrote:

> I'm finding more and more that adding mics in odd places around the room
> gives wierd and wonderful results for rock drum miking. I'm like to get a
> couple of pzms for the mic locker to give me more room mic choices. What
> model is best for this application and what do you use your PZM for most.
>
> I'm looking at a CROWN PZM-30D, which seems to fit the criteria
>
> Martin

I have a pair I'd sell. If your interested, email me at
CelebrationSound@aol.com

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island