Invalid system disk

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Either your hard drive does not have an OS installed, or you have an unbootable floppy in your A drive :)

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/about.php?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/about.php?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
It woulda said press any key or whatever if he has a disk in, assuming he is giving us the exact error. Or your MBR is messed up on your HD.

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>

xyz

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
There is no floppy disk in the drive and computer is booting from the Hard disk. I had windows 98 installed on the computer. I think there is some thing wrong with MBR or Core system files. Is there any way to restore my system without re-intalling windows.

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Well I could tell you how to fix the mbr easy in 2000 hehe, you may need a 3rd party program but there is a fdisk /mbr or something similar but I'm not positive it will rewrite the mbr and fix it or just erase it.

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>

xyz

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
I tried sys c:, it helped in getting rid of the message,
"INVALID SYSTEM DISK". Now the computer is booting but still
I cannot get into the windows as my computer stops on A:>
promp. I tried 'win' at the c:\windows> prompt but it resulted into a "VFAT Device initialization failed" error message.
What can I do to get into the windows???

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
maybe this will help <A HREF="http://search.support.microsoft.com/search/nlsearch.aspx?Catalog=LCID=1033&CDID=EN-US-KB&PRODLISTSRC=ON&Product=w98&Query=VFAT Device initialization failed&Queryc=VFAT+Device+initialization+failed&withinResults=false&srchstep=0&KeywordType=ALL&Titles=false&numDays=&maxResults=150" target="_new">VFAT Device initialization failed</A>

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

Do you have more than one harddrive?
What brand of Harddrive?
Are the jumpers set properly on the Harddrive?
Are your cables firmly plugged into the Harddrive and Motherboard?
Is it Windows 98 or 98SE?
If you haven't already solved your problem, answer these questions, I'll try to help you.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by 4ryan6 on 05/03/02 10:10 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

stealthbig

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2001
You know what, this exact problem happened to me. And im still wondering how to fix it.. I got a startup disk, re formatted, partioned my drive. Tryed installing 3 differnt windows versions (98, 98 SE, ME) and whenever it says i think "Prepaing install wizard" or whatever is the thing that start loading at the beginning, when thats 100% my computer just crashes. And floppy light is stuck on. Someone reconmended me a program called Docmem to check memory. I run the quicktest and after it gets to 100%, crash.... I got 2 new ram modules from friends. Still crashes... L2 Cache? Only 1 Western Digital HD, jumpers are right, cables in, it was ME that i had installed, then one day i crash, when i boot up again i get "Non System disk press any key" or about that.... And still whenever i boot up without startup disk it says that.

Western Digital hardrives come from the factory with the jumper preset to run in your machine, if thats your only hardrive do not change that setting to the master setting or you'll have problems, only change it to the master setting if you have a slave hardrive also. Go to the WD website and download the WD Diagnostic Program Disk and recertify your hardrive to factory specks, then use Win 98 SE, stay away from Win ME its garbage, Run FDISK, then FORMAT C:, then go on and reload your system, at that point if there is no other hardware problems you'll be good to go.

xyz

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
I have single hard drive.
Brand is Seagate.
All the jumpers are set properly.
Nothing wrong with the cables.
I am using Windows98se.
I think there is something wrong with some of the boot files, but I don,t know which files are currupted or missing. I have tried SYS C:, this helped me in making the hard drive bootable. Now there is no "INVALID SYSTEM DISK" message, but the computer stops on A:> prompt (it doesnot boot into the windows Graphical mode).
HELP!!!

I've booted with my floppy before just like I was reloading my system, let it run automatically until it reaches the A:\> Prompt punch out the floppy,shut down the machine, then power up the system normally, and it came back up.

G

I thought I would mention the obvious just in case - Have you checked out your bios to see if the "boot from" has changed.

G

Coincidence!
Don't know if this will help.

Well today I was uninstalling Gozilla and esafe, and maybe a couple of others. When I rebooted I got "invalid system disk". I decided to check my bios, and got an error. Thank Gigabyte motherboards I have a dual bios, and it immediately reflashed the main bios. I was able to get into my bios but it looked fine.

It did not fix the problem so I tried to restart using the win98 startup disk. Got more errors including oakcdrom support so no CD Rom, also errors in regards to Himem.sys, command.com, and config.sys on my A:\floppy - no reason for this and same errors from 2 different startup disc's from 2 different PC's. It requested me to start using C:\windows\command.com, which at least gave me the prompt. Went to windows directory and again tried to start windows, but another error with himem.sys stopped it from starting.

I had win98 copied on my C drive, so was able to reinstall
from there. That fixed the problem, and can now reboot.

Have Nortons antivirus 2002 fully updated, scanned and no viruses, unless I wiped out an infected file by reinstalling.

Not to sure why uninstalling would affect my bios.

Anyway hope this helps.

xyz

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
Well! After a long discussion the only solution of the "Invalid System disk" Error seems to be re-installing the Windows. I spent a great time searching for the solution on Microsoft Knowledge Base. It does provide the solution of the problem,but only in case you know exactly which files you have lost (deleted/renamed/changed path) causing this problem.
Can any one provide the list of files which are responsible for the booting process of Windows 98.(like MS Dos.sys, IO.sys, Command.com, Himem.sys, Ifhlp.sys).

G

At least a reinstall only causes minor problems. So far the only thing I had to redo was internet wizard, even though I did not reinstall Iexplorer.

good luck

MSDos.sys
IO.sys
Command.com

Additionally helpful extras.

Oakcdrom.sys or MSCDEX.exe
Autoexec.bat *
Config.sys *
Fdisk.exe
Ramdrive.sys

* Assuming these files are from your current config and <b>for</b> your current config.

<b><font color=blue>~ What do you mean "It isn't working!"...Now where's my sonic screwdriver? ~ </font color=blue></b>