Problems with 40gb WD Caviar

JimmyDean

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
Hey there. Im doing a computer repair job for someone and there is a problem. I was called out because the hard drive didnt work and the person bought a new one. I installed the new one and it seemed to work okay, but now he says its not working. A more detailed explination. After installing a cdburner, the customer's hard drive didnt work. This one was a 40gb WD protege. He bought a new one, a 40gb caviar and I installed this one. During the instillation I noticed the bios was slow in loading into setup and going into IDE detection. After installing the caviar, everything seemed to be working fine. I got windows 98 installed and left while XP was installing. The customer called and says the system is not booting... Any help
Useful Info
ECS K7S5A
Duron 1ghz
Caviar40gb
Might be a mobo or hd problem

<b><font color=red>Remember kids, if you see a downed power line, suck on the end, candy comes out!</font color=red></b>

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Damaged IDE cable? System is underpowered? Failing CMOS battery? Damaged physical memory? Same problems when the hard drive is the only device on the cable, and jumpered as such, or does this only happen with the CD-RW on the same cable? Any error messages during the boot, including S.M.A.R.T.? All devices correctly identified in the BIOS? Any errors with the new drive after running a diagnostic with the WD tools?

More info needed, Jimmy. Check these items and get back with us.

Toey

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=328&s=91c282f2e5207e99b7a652ee13b3512a" target="_new"><font color=green>My System Rigs</font color=green></A>

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/" target="_new"><b><font color=purple>BTVILLARIN.com</font color=purple></b></A> - <i><font color=orange>Your Computer Questions Answered</font color=orange></i>

JimmyDean

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
Im gonna call him up and ask him exactly whats happening

<b><font color=red>Remember kids, if you see a downed power line, suck on the end, candy comes out!</font color=red></b>

TRENDING THREADS