The word "remix"

Last response: in Home Audio
April 18, 2005 11:26:14 AM

I hate how the word remix now has two meanings. It used to be clear:

Remix meaning 1) Using multitrack tapes, create an entirely new mono,
stereo or surround mix of a well-known song.

Remix meaning 2) Using (usually) a stereo mix of a song, ingest it into
a computer editing program or workstation and manipulate the sections
of the song, sometimes altering speed, pitch, structure or adding new
parts.

I find the former fascinating. I was thrilled at the Brian Wislon box
set remixes of Pet Sounds and other BB tunes, and the Beatles remixes
on Yellow Submarine Songtrack and Anthology. I think there may be a
market for a whole CD of classic tracks remixed FROM THE MULTS!!!!

But I find the latter boring. I've been burned buying "remixed" CDs or
chasing down "remixed" stuff on the web, only to find it's some moron
with Cool Edit.

More about : word remix

April 19, 2005 12:54:01 AM

In article <1113834374.004938.200610@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
"blackburst@aol.com" <blackburst@aol.com> wrote:

> I hate how the word remix now has two meanings. It used to be clear:
>
> Remix meaning 1) Using multitrack tapes, create an entirely new mono,
> stereo or surround mix of a well-known song.
>
> Remix meaning 2) Using (usually) a stereo mix of a song, ingest it into
> a computer editing program or workstation and manipulate the sections
> of the song, sometimes altering speed, pitch, structure or adding new
> parts.
>
> I find the former fascinating. I was thrilled at the Brian Wislon box
> set remixes of Pet Sounds and other BB tunes, and the Beatles remixes
> on Yellow Submarine Songtrack and Anthology. I think there may be a
> market for a whole CD of classic tracks remixed FROM THE MULTS!!!!
>
> But I find the latter boring. I've been burned buying "remixed" CDs or
> chasing down "remixed" stuff on the web, only to find it's some moron
> with Cool Edit.

IMO It's the meaning of the word 'mix' in the first place. Some see it
as actually mixing multitracks. Others see it as two turntables and
people dancing around.

--
Cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*