Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 failing to boot

Last response: in Windows 7
June 30, 2012 7:58:10 AM

Hello. I just built my new computer yesterday. Today I got an OEM version of Windows 7 from Micro Center. I was able to install windows 7 successfully. Next I was going to update my drivers. I installed the LAN driver from the motherboard DVD. Then I tried to download the more current drivers from the website. This was difficult because internet explorer would crash a lot. I had to restart several times. I finally got them downloaded. Then I tried to install the driver for my radeon HD 6850. I downloaded it then clicked run. While it was installing it kept getting hung up. I restarted it then let it sit for like 4 hours and it stayed in same place. Then I restarted it...loading operating system then black screen. I let it run in startup repair for 4 hours. Figured it was going nowhere so I canceled it but it said it had to finish. I then just powered down. I then went to the windows recovery menu by pressing f8. Now i realized that I dont have any options, because i dont have a image restet and i cant do system set back to a previous point in time.

I dont think this is a virus because I only went to the gigabyte website and the AMD website. I dont hear a clicking noise from my HDD so I doubt i have a faulty HDD.
I am now currently trying to start it in safe mode but that's taking forever. Is it possible to REINSTALL windows 7 with the same DVD and product key? Would that get my back to where I was with no drivers downloaded or anything? I figured the hardest part of building a computer would be putting it together not dealing with this crap. Thanks for any help to resolve this issue, it would mean so much.

Specs:
Intel i3 2120
GIgabyte H61m-S2H
Kingston hyperx 8gb ram (2x4)
Western Digital caviar blue
Seasonic 520w
asus radeon hd 6850

More about : windows failing boot

a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
June 30, 2012 8:23:36 AM

You can re-install Windows as many times as you like on the same machine. When you get to 'Where do you want to Install Windows' screen, choose Drive Options (Advanced) and format the drive before installation. Install Anti Virus as soon as possible!
m
l
June 30, 2012 8:26:11 AM

Should I get all the windows updates before downloading anything this time? Will that help maybe?
m
l
Related resources
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
June 30, 2012 8:36:45 AM

Should be able to install all your drivers before updating Windows, i always do! Install the ones from your disk 1st then Anti Virus,download the rest from website then I would normally use Windows Update 'Check for Updates' until all downloaded and it reports your system up-to-date
m
l
June 30, 2012 10:51:49 AM

are you using digital cable for monitor (DVI) or analog (d-Sub)
m
l
June 30, 2012 10:53:20 AM

And use the 64 bit of Explorer - it´s faster and more reliable - and disable any addons running on explorer - or else use Google chrome :) 
m
l
June 30, 2012 11:24:02 AM

that has happed to me before. You said its a fresh build make shure everything is seated properly your memmory graphics card CPU everything.
m
l
June 30, 2012 3:04:54 PM

It ran all night and only got to 50% on expanding files. Do you think I should get a replacement HDD from newegg.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
June 30, 2012 5:35:01 PM

Are there any disk/RAM checking tools in BIOS? It woud be best to isolate the fault before RMA-ing. Hiren's very popular bootable disk if not.
http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd
m
l
!