No Bootable Device Error

gprbenson

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
Hello,

I have an Acer Aspire On 10inch Notebook that runs on Windows 7 Premium Edition (32bit). I'd been having some troubles with its speed for a day or so and since I'd neglected to do a Windows update. So, I restarted it and hoped that once it installed those updates everything would be fine.

My first warning sign was the time that it took to turn off - probably 15 minutes was spent with the screen continuously saying "Shutting Down" and I took this to mean that it was probably a series of updates that I had missed. So, I left it to sit and came back to check on it afterwards.

When it finally finished, a black screen took over and sat there for quite some time. Eventually I grew frustrated and restarted the computer, and saw the 'Acer' screen come up, and then the computer screen went black again and a command line started, where I received this message:

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (build 082)
Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

For Atheros PCIE Ethernet Controller v1.0.0.13(2008/10/15)

Check Cable connection...!
PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.
No bootable device -- insert bood disk and press any key

I left this screen for a while, and eventually it began the 'loading Windows' screen. After an insanely long amount of time, probably half an hour, the long-in screen came on, and I entered my information was brought a black screen. No matter how long I waited, nothing was shown other than my cursor. I was able to get into Task Manager and see that processes were indeed running, but it was agonizingly slow and I could not open new applications.

So, I restarted again and started going through the forums here and tried a few of the different solutions, particularly in going to the setup screen and trying to restore default settings.

I tried going back to the Acer screen and holding zero, which I was told would go to the factory settings, but after holding the zero key for a few seconds, a blaring 'beep' that lasted about fifteen seconds blasted and then went away.

Later on, while I was using a friend's computer to search for a solution, while it was stuck on the above loading screen, eventually it shifted black to the loading windows screen, and after logging into my user, I was actually brought to my desktop that, while taking a painfully long time to load, did seem to have basic functionality.

Right now I'm on that main screen, with basic functionality, though everything runs at a snail's pace. MalwareBytes came up and said that it had a 'dll error' if I remember correctly, and it also shows that there is no connection to my internal speakers.

My sense is that I have a major problem with my operating system right now and not my hardware, but that might just be a hope that my hard-drive isn't fried.

Anything you're able to give me on this front is very helpful. Right now I'm just trying to throw the a few files I hadn't backed up onto my external HD as I expect that I'm probably going to have to reformat this poor old thing.

gprbenson

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012

That was my initial thought and I tried looking through at both the applications open and the processes behind the scenes, I was never clocking in at more than 2-3% of CPU, and usually as low 1%. I'll try the Clean Startup, though, thank you!

gprbenson

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012

Tried the Clean Startup, but no dice. Still ran painfully slow.

I'm currently in Bangladesh where the availability of English-language tech support is shaky and legal versions of Windows in English are few and far between. For now I'm thinking of just running Ubuntu off a USB and see if I get any speed or better results, if that doesn't work, then I'm thinking it's a hardware issue.