How to create CD tracks without a break in sound?

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
April 19, 2005 11:50:36 AM

I've seen CD's where the tracks occurred at points other than the
end/beginning of the .wav file, i.e. you see the track counter change with
no break in the sound. How is this done? My CD burning software is Nero 6.

Thanks for any input.
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 11:50:37 AM

You probably need a more comprehensive software than Nero. You can do
this in Magix Sampitude, and perhaps in some of the cheaper Magix
products as well. In Samplitue t's just a matter of setting the track
points where you want them over a representation of the wave file.

You can pickup up Samplitude version 6 pretty cheap.

Al

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 07:50:36 GMT, "Doc" <docsavage20@xhotmail.com>
wrote:

>I've seen CD's where the tracks occurred at points other than the
>end/beginning of the .wav file, i.e. you see the track counter change with
>no break in the sound. How is this done? My CD burning software is Nero 6.
>
>Thanks for any input.

Anonymous
April 19, 2005 11:50:37 AM

Doc wrote:

> I've seen CD's where the tracks occurred at points other than the
> end/beginning of the .wav file, i.e. you see the track counter
change
> with no break in the sound. How is this done? My CD burning
software
> is Nero 6.

The magic words are "cue list"

The magic cheap tool is called "cuelisttool"

http://www.stefanbion.de/cueltool/index_e.htm

I think you can use cue lists with Nero 6. I have it, I just haven't
tried it. I plead laziness because I do all my audio mastering with
Cool Edit Pro 2.1's CD burning tool beta, which I understand is in the
current version of the sequel product, Adobe Audition 1.5.
April 19, 2005 11:50:37 AM

Doc wrote:

> I've seen CD's where the tracks occurred at points other than the
> end/beginning of the .wav file, i.e. you see the track counter change
with
> no break in the sound. How is this done? My CD burning software is
Nero 6.

> Thanks for any input.

You can do this in Nero 5 or 6.
After the files are dragged into the compilation,
select all but the first in the list then right
click and go to properties (or double click)
and set the "pause" value to 0.
It is recommended that the first file have the
2 sec space at the beginning.
Now you can have seamless 'live' recordings
depending on your editing skill.

rd
April 19, 2005 11:50:37 AM

I've seen CD's where the tracks occurred at points other than the
end/beginning of the .wav file, i.e. you see the track counter change
with
no break in the sound. How is this done? My CD burning software is
Nero 6.

I have a program called Creator Classic and it allows me to overlap the
songs. It's really nifty. I make dance music CD's to play when my
band takes a break and since I can overlap the songs it's like a DJ is
starting the next track while the current track is fading out. I can
make the overlap as much as I want which is neat because some dance
songs have a long-ish intro before the beat starts. I overlap as much
as 20 seconds on some songs.

Creator Classic came with my HP laptop.
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 12:34:57 PM

"RD Jones" <annonn@juno.com> wrote in message

> Doc wrote:
>
>> I've seen CD's where the tracks occurred at points other than the
>> end/beginning of the .wav file, i.e. you see the track counter change
> with
>> no break in the sound. How is this done? My CD burning software is
> Nero 6.
>>
>> Thanks for any input.
>
> You can do this in Nero 5 or 6.
> After the files are dragged into the compilation,
> select all but the first in the list then right
> click and go to properties (or double click)
> and set the "pause" value to 0.
> It is recommended that the first file have the
> 2 sec space at the beginning.
> Now you can have seamless 'live' recordings
> depending on your editing skill.
>
> rd

Nero is fully capable of doing what you want. RD's process above is exactly
right. It takes only seconds. However, I think that the 2 second pause
before the beginning of the first track is a Rd Book imperitive. Of course
you won't hear that pause since it preceeds the first audio.

Steve King
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 1:44:21 PM

Write your cd's DAO (disc at once) and remove the space between tracks
(default on nero is 2 secs).

"Doc" <docsavage20@xhotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've seen CD's where the tracks occurred at points other than the
> end/beginning of the .wav file, i.e. you see the track counter change with
> no break in the sound. How is this done? My CD burning software is Nero
6.

> Thanks for any input.

April 19, 2005 5:27:10 PM

Toast for the MAC does this easily, and I assume Roxio's PC version
Easy CD creator does as well... as in other posts, just set delay
betwen tracks to 0 from the default 2 seconds

wrote:

>I've seen CD's where the tracks occurred at points other than the
>end/beginning of the .wav file, i.e. you see the track counter change with
>no break in the sound. How is this done? My CD burning software is Nero 6.
>
>Thanks for any input.

Anonymous
April 19, 2005 6:29:35 PM

In article <gL29e.12140$44.8448@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
"Doc" <docsavage20@xhotmail.com> wrote:

> I've seen CD's where the tracks occurred at points other than the
> end/beginning of the .wav file, i.e. you see the track counter change with
> no break in the sound. How is this done? My CD burning software is Nero 6.
>
> Thanks for any input.

I was taught to divide all tracks into lengths that are multiples of 588
samples, due to size of CD blocks and software padding.

This has more explanation:

http://www.mrichter.com/cdr/primer/blocks.htm
April 20, 2005 2:12:31 AM

"Steve King" <steve@TakeThisOutToReplysteveking.net> wrote in message
> "RD Jones" <annonn@juno.com> wrote in message

> Nero is fully capable of doing what you want. RD's process above is
exactly
> right. It takes only seconds. However, I think that the 2 second pause
> before the beginning of the first track is a Rd Book imperitive. Of
course
> you won't hear that pause since it preceeds the first audio.

I got it do this, however I wonder if I did it the hard way. I had a really
long file of a live performance. I wanted the tracks to be at a certain
point during the patter between songs. So, I used the edit function to set
the track splits, however I then had to save the split tracks in another
folder. Then removed the original files I had dragged into the compliation
and went into the folder with split files and dragged them into the
compilation instead. Also, had to manually re-order some of the tracks
because it wanted to put 10, 11, 12 between 1 & 2. Then set the silence to 0
secs as you mentioned except for the first track.

Is there a less cumbersome way to do it?
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 2:12:32 AM

On Tuesday 19 April 2005 05:12 pm, Doc thusly spake:

> "Steve King" <steve@TakeThisOutToReplysteveking.net> wrote in message
>> "RD Jones" <annonn@juno.com> wrote in message
>
>> Nero is fully capable of doing what you want. RD's process above is
> exactly
>> right. It takes only seconds. However, I think that the 2 second pause
>> before the beginning of the first track is a Rd Book imperitive. Of
> course
>> you won't hear that pause since it preceeds the first audio.
>
> I got it do this, however I wonder if I did it the hard way. I had a
> really long file of a live performance. I wanted the tracks to be at a
> certain point during the patter between songs. So, I used the edit
> function to set the track splits, however I then had to save the split
> tracks in another folder. Then removed the original files I had dragged
> into the compliation and went into the folder with split files and dragged
> them into the compilation instead. Also, had to manually re-order some of
> the tracks because it wanted to put 10, 11, 12 between 1 & 2. Then set the
> silence to 0 secs as you mentioned except for the first track.
>
> Is there a less cumbersome way to do it?

You can probably cut the tracks up easier using sound editing software. Most
offer a display mode of 75 fps. (The 75 fps corresponds to the size of a
sector on the audio CD) You can then cut them right on the frame and load
that into Nero or whatever authoring tool you use. Some editors will snap
selections to the frames making it simple to set you track points. I don't
use Nero so I'm not sure how easy it is to set tracks exactly where you
want them.

One cool thing to do with live material like this with "patter" in-between
songs is to set the index marker 01 to where the music actually starts.
That way during playback the track number changes where you want it during
the patter, but if you want to skip to a specific track, your playback will
begin right where the music starts up. (On most consumer CD players at
least. Some profession CD players ignore index markers)

-Reuben
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 2:38:05 AM

> "Steve King" <steve@TakeThisOutToReplysteveking.net> wrote in message
>> "RD Jones" <annonn@juno.com> wrote in message
>
>> Nero is fully capable of doing what you want. RD's process above is
> exactly
>> right. It takes only seconds. However, I think that the 2 second pause
>> before the beginning of the first track is a Rd Book imperitive. Of
> course
>> you won't hear that pause since it preceeds the first audio.
>
> I got it do this, however I wonder if I did it the hard way. I had a
> really
> long file of a live performance. I wanted the tracks to be at a certain
> point during the patter between songs. So, I used the edit function to set
> the track splits, however I then had to save the split tracks in another
> folder. Then removed the original files I had dragged into the compliation
> and went into the folder with split files and dragged them into the
> compilation instead. Also, had to manually re-order some of the tracks
> because it wanted to put 10, 11, 12 between 1 & 2. Then set the silence to
> 0
> secs as you mentioned except for the first track.
>
> Is there a less cumbersome way to do it?

Yes. Drag the large file to the compilation window. Double click on the
file. That brings you to the Audio Track Info window. Select the "indexes,
Limits, Split" tab. You will see Nero build a wave-form depiction of your
file. Using the buttons provided to play and navigate the file find where
you want your tracks. Place the cursor and click on "Split". When you're
done placing tracks (splits), click OK. That will bring up a window that
says, "The selected track will be split into 'X many' tracks. Do you really
want to do this. Click OK. (That doesn't destroy your original file.) You
now see in the compilation window the tracks you created. Group track 2
through the end (click & shift click) and right click/select properties.
Change the Pause to zero. Burn you're seamless performance. It takes
awhile to find the tracks points of course, but once you place the track
marks the rest takes seconds.

I place my track marks in Adobe Audition (Shift F8). Then save the file
with the "save extra non-audio information" option checked. Nero recognizes
those track marks. Just tell it to split at these points, change the pause
to 0, and burn.

Hope this helps.

Steve King
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 6:46:14 AM

Doc wrote:

> I had a
> really long file of a live performance. I wanted the tracks to be at
> a certain point during the patter between songs. So, I used the edit
> function to set the track splits, however I then had to save the
> split tracks in another folder. Then removed the original files I
had
> dragged into the compliation and went into the folder with split
> files and dragged them into the compilation instead. Also, had to
> manually re-order some of the tracks because it wanted to put 10,
11,
> 12 between 1 & 2. Then set the silence to 0 secs as you mentioned
> except for the first track.

> Is there a less cumbersome way to do it?

If you have editing software that allows you to set track marks such
as Audition, the procedure is as follows:

(1) Load .wav file, trim, edit as needed
(2) Set track marks
(3) Save file with track marks
(4) Use built-in burining software to burn CD
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 2:37:19 PM

In article <h4j961h4n1p2fl538uv114eq3cq4b210i5@4ax.com> playonAT@comcast.net writes:

> You probably need a more comprehensive software than Nero.

Nero works fine for this. Even _I_ figured out how to do it. You
"virtually" split the long recording where you want the track marks to
appear, and set the space between tracks to 0 (except for before the
first one that has to be finite). Nero has all the tools. "Indexes and
Splits" I think is what the menu is called.

I'm assuming you have a continuous recording that you want to
separate into CD tracks. Of course if you have a bunch of individual
files, you just need to set the time to zero for them using the
instructions someone else provided. If you'll be splitting a long
file, you can set the time to zero as a default and you'll just have
to fix the first one. Nero will remind you if you forget.

April 21, 2005 12:02:26 AM

> Doc wrote:
>
>> I've seen CD's where the tracks occurred at points other than the
>> end/beginning of the .wav file, i.e. you see the track counter
> change
>> with no break in the sound. How is this done? My CD burning
> software
>> is Nero 6.
>
> The magic words are "cue list"
>
> The magic cheap tool is called "cuelisttool"

Even more magic word is Sony CD Architect.

geoff
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 12:02:27 AM

Geoff Wood wrote:
>> Doc wrote:
>>
>>> I've seen CD's where the tracks occurred at points other than the
>>> end/beginning of the .wav file, i.e. you see the track counter
>>> change with no break in the sound. How is this done? My CD
burning
>>> software is Nero 6.
>>
>> The magic words are "cue list"
>>
>> The magic cheap tool is called "cuelisttool"

> Even more magic word is Sony CD Architect.

Or, Adobe Audition.

Or...

However cuelisttool is free. Audition and CD Architect ain't.
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 12:07:18 AM

"Geoff Wood" <geoff@nospam-paf.co.nz> wrote in message

> Even more magic word is Sony CD Architect.

To elucidate you load all your events (wavs, mp3, whatever) on the timeline,
drag them to wherever you want them (crossfading if desired, auto or
manual) whatever gaps you want or none, then place your track markers and
index markers just wherever you like on the whole caboodle.

geoff
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 4:30:24 AM

> Or...
>
> However cuelisttool is free. Audition and CD Architect ain't.

I bet cuelisttool is a pig in comparison with CDA.

geoff
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 3:19:31 AM

"Steve King" <steve@TakeThisOutToReplysteveking.net> wrote

> I place my track marks in Adobe Audition (Shift F8). Then save the file
> with the "save extra non-audio information" option checked. Nero
> recognizes those track marks. Just tell it to split at these points,
> change the pause to 0, and burn.

No kiddin? Thank you thank you thank you! I've previously posted about
this and didn't receive a response. Audition is 4 times as convoluted to
burn CD's directly as Cool Edit was. All you had to do in Cool Edit is set
track marks and drag them over in the CD burn window. Audition makes you
set beginning and end points and writes a temp file for each individual
track before burning. I just tried what you suggest. Much easier.

Julian
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 3:25:09 AM

"Mike Rivers" <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote

> Nero works fine for this. Even _I_ figured out how to do it.

The thing that doesn't work so fine is first of all waiting for the waveform
to load and then zooming in and out to precisely place your track marks, so
there is no pause between tacks. Audition is SO MUCH faster at this.

Julian
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 12:01:46 PM

"Mike Rivers" <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote in message news:znr1113932435k@trad...

> In article <h4j961h4n1p2fl538uv114eq3cq4b210i5@4ax.com> playonAT@comcast.net writes:
>
> > You probably need a more comprehensive software than Nero.
>
> Nero works fine for this. Even _I_ figured out how to do it. You
> "virtually" split the long recording where you want the track marks to
> appear, and set the space between tracks to 0 (except for before the
> first one that has to be finite). Nero has all the tools. "Indexes and
> Splits" I think is what the menu is called.
>
> I'm assuming you have a continuous recording that you want to
> separate into CD tracks. Of course if you have a bunch of individual
> files, you just need to set the time to zero for them using the
> instructions someone else provided. If you'll be splitting a long
> file, you can set the time to zero as a default and you'll just have
> to fix the first one. Nero will remind you if you forget.

Doood.... u need cd architect. ;-)
!