Treo 650 vs Blackberry

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
August 20, 2005 2:42:01 PM

I've asked this question before but now I have a 650 so it is coming from a
different angle.

I am finding that I only use my 650 for e-mail, occasional web and dates &
contacts, ok and sometimes a phone. Knowig that do those of you with
experience with both or a Blackberry feel the a move to a Blackberry would
be a good one or abou the same as the Treo.

Problems with the treo, poor signal (compared to Sprint phones) fragile or
so it seems, Occasional reseets while checking mail or web.

Thanks

More about : treo 650 blackberry

Anonymous
August 20, 2005 7:59:56 PM

I think of them this way

Treo: Nice phone that does OK email.
BB: Great email device that can also be an OK phone.

We looked at BB (using BES), Treo (using Good), and Windows Mobile (Using
ActiveSync) and chose the BB hands down for the mobile email.

"Scot" <charlieax@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've asked this question before but now I have a 650 so it is coming from
> a different angle.
>
> I am finding that I only use my 650 for e-mail, occasional web and dates &
> contacts, ok and sometimes a phone. Knowig that do those of you with
> experience with both or a Blackberry feel the a move to a Blackberry would
> be a good one or abou the same as the Treo.
>
> Problems with the treo, poor signal (compared to Sprint phones) fragile or
> so it seems, Occasional reseets while checking mail or web.
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
August 22, 2005 8:54:40 AM

With my Samsung i500 Smartphone and napper Mail I have better versatility
with email than the BBs. The BB check email everyt 15 minutes weather you
want it to or not (drastically decrease battery life), I can set up any
schedule I want. If I want it to check every five mimutes I can, if I want
it to check every two hours between 8 am and 5 pm I can. You can't do that
with the BBs.

"Skorkles" <martinb@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
> I think of them this way
>
> Treo: Nice phone that does OK email.
> BB: Great email device that can also be an OK phone.
>
> We looked at BB (using BES), Treo (using Good), and Windows Mobile (Using
> ActiveSync) and chose the BB hands down for the mobile email.
>

> "Scot" <charlieax@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I've asked this question before but now I have a 650 so it is coming
from
> > a different angle.
> >
> > I am finding that I only use my 650 for e-mail, occasional web and dates
&
> > contacts, ok and sometimes a phone. Knowig that do those of you with
> > experience with both or a Blackberry feel the a move to a Blackberry
would
> > be a good one or abou the same as the Treo.
> >
> > Problems with the treo, poor signal (compared to Sprint phones) fragile
or
> > so it seems, Occasional reseets while checking mail or web.
> >
> > Thanks

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 9:23:24 AM

I'm not familiar with how the BB works with internet mail. I use mine with
BES, so the email is almost instantaneous.

"Scooterflex" <scootertrasher@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:D 045b$430992cf$185a1e7a$7951@news.flashnewsgroups.com...
> With my Samsung i500 Smartphone and napper Mail I have better versatility
> with email than the BBs. The BB check email everyt 15 minutes weather you
> want it to or not (drastically decrease battery life), I can set up any
> schedule I want. If I want it to check every five mimutes I can, if I want
> it to check every two hours between 8 am and 5 pm I can. You can't do that
> with the BBs.
>
> "Skorkles" <martinb@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
>> I think of them this way
>>
>> Treo: Nice phone that does OK email.
>> BB: Great email device that can also be an OK phone.
>>
>> We looked at BB (using BES), Treo (using Good), and Windows Mobile (Using
>> ActiveSync) and chose the BB hands down for the mobile email.
>>

>> "Scot" <charlieax@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > I've asked this question before but now I have a 650 so it is coming
> from
>> > a different angle.
>> >
>> > I am finding that I only use my 650 for e-mail, occasional web and
>> > dates
> &
>> > contacts, ok and sometimes a phone. Knowig that do those of you with
>> > experience with both or a Blackberry feel the a move to a Blackberry
> would
>> > be a good one or abou the same as the Treo.
>> >
>> > Problems with the treo, poor signal (compared to Sprint phones) fragile
> or
>> > so it seems, Occasional reseets while checking mail or web.
>> >
>> > Thanks

Anonymous
August 22, 2005 8:51:16 PM

Scot wrote:
> I've asked this question before but now I have a 650 so it is coming from a
> different angle.
>
> I am finding that I only use my 650 for e-mail, occasional web and dates &
> contacts, ok and sometimes a phone. Knowig that do those of you with
> experience with both or a Blackberry feel the a move to a Blackberry would
> be a good one or abou the same as the Treo.

It depends on how happy you are with the interface. If you like the
look and feel of PalmOS, then you're going to have some trouble
swtiching over to Balckberry, which has a more restrictive (although
functional) feel to it. If you don't like PalmOS, then Blackberry might
be up your alley.

I've used the traditional blackberry.net version running off Mobitex, as
well as the Nextel version, and the 7100 on GSM. I have never used the
CDMA variant, so I can't say either way whether its signal strength is
good or not.

> Problems with the treo, poor signal (compared to Sprint phones) fragile or
> so it seems, Occasional reseets while checking mail or web.

FWIW, I found that the the Tro650 on Sprint was very pessimistic about
signal strength, but would almost always hold the signal, no matter how
weak it said it was. However, the downside was that when it said there
was no service, then there was DEFINITELY no service.

As far as fragility, I discovered that the Treo650 was FAR more rugged
than it appeared to be. The outer plastic has its fit & finish issues
(i.e. battery doors creakyness and such), but in spite of that, My Treo
took a major beating and still came out of it just fine.

You're right about the random resets though; that IS very annoying, and
I wish palmOne would do something about it.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
February 4, 2006 11:04:51 PM

For mobile e-mail Blackberry is the best way to go currently.

Down the road when Blackberry clients become more promanent on non-RIM products, there won't be a need to just go with a Blackberry.

Not sure what this current ruckus with Blackberry is going to lead to, but they certainly can make a ton of money, loaning the client to Samsung and Sony Ericcson and UT Starcom for the next set of Pocket PC's.
!