Power Problems on a CDRW Drive

Diegote

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2003
Hello!.
Well, some days ago, I buyed a new PC-case with a TOPOWER 300W PSU (http://www.topower.com.tw/En_Default.asp , go to Power Supply, ATX12V-P4, TOP300P4).My model is the "one fan only" version, but the power output is the same. When I re-assembled my computer from the old "no-name" case to my new case, I noticed that the CDRW was not recognized by mi BIOS. Well, I started to look for the trouble. I tried a lot of diferent drive configurations on the two IDE buses, but nothing at all. Just the drive do not work. In some point of the "try everything that comes to your mind" process, I was looking to the CDRW drive when the PSU powers on. In that moment, I notice that the drive not even power up (you know, the LED blinks a couple of times, and I can open the tray if I wish). I think "this is a PSU issue". I changed the molex connector by another: nothing. The CDRW drive never powers up. In some moment, I don´t know why, I connected the CDRW drive to the PSU with the PSU working. Walla! The drive blinks the led a couple, and works fine. So, I shut down the system, connect the IDE bus and the molex to the CDRW drive. Turn on the computer: the CDR drive is death, again. What the hell!?!?. So I shut down the system, de-plug the molex, and turn on the system again, and just one second after the PSU power on signal, re-connect the molex to the CDR. Walla! the drive works fine, the BIOS recognizes it and works fine under Windows. So, I think that it can be a firmware issue, so I updated the firmware with the one from optorite´s site. Nothing new. The drive continues to die when I reset the system. I have to connect it after the PSU start, every time that I want to use it. What can I do!!??!?!
After my new case and PSU, I have a "super standart, no-name PSU", with 230W of power output.
Now I´m running a P3 750Mhz with a SOYO SY-6VBA133, DVD-ROM Drive Pioneer DVD105S (16X), one HDD Maxtor Dimond Max 9 of 120Gb with 2Mb buffer and a 20Gb Seagate. My recorder is a OptoRite CW1601 (16x12x40).
The system works fine with the old PSU, except that when I want to record a CD with high speed (from 8x to 16x), Nero say that I have a "power calibration error". So I shut down the system, de-plug the DVD drive, and restart. By this way, the old-PSU have sufficient power to give to the CDR drive.
Somebody can help me?
Thanks.
Diego, from Argentina.

P.D.: sorry for my english.

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
First, your English is better than some natives here. As to the computer problem, my feeling is that it is a power supply problem with not enough power at the critical time.
I would suggest that you disconnect some other devices so as to eliminate the power as a problem or else try a different power supply as a test. Sometimes changing the molex connecters to a different one of the same type on a different feed from the power supply can help.
Good Luck,
Let us know what you determine, if anything or not.
Take-Out

"We killed OUR Hitler" - attributed to Paul McCartney (If so, then well done, sir)