text messaging - some basic questions

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
August 21, 2005 3:04:52 AM

I'm just starting to use text messaging and I've found a couple of things
confusing. Can I send a text message to anyone with a relatively late model
cell phone? Do the service carriers of the person sending the message and
the recipient have to be the same? For example,. if I send a text message
from my Sprint PCS phone to a friend with T-Mobile will he receive the text
message?

August 22, 2005 8:53:00 PM

bossdragon wrote:
> No, you cannot send text message across provider platforms.

Oh yess you can! I've sent text messages cross-provider from Sprint to
TMobile, Sprint to Cingular, and Sprint to Verizon without any issues,
all text messages were recevied.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
August 22, 2005 8:59:12 PM

C M wrote:
> I have sent text message to a friend on Verizon and she could receive
> the message. The only thing is when she replies, I never seem to get
> the messages. So if it is supposed to work, then she must be doing
> something wrong? Maybe Verizon requires some extra steps to reply to a
> Sprintpcs customer?

It's more likely to be a bad SMS gateway configuration in her coverage
area, or a problem with the setup in her specific account.

Nearly all of the wireless carriers use a third party contractor to
handle intercarrier SMS, such as VeriSign:

http://tinyurl.com/9hcgk

So, it would be unlikely that this is a carrier-wide issue.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.