Do you need a graphic card to play gta iv

serenatous

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
Depends what you mean if you need a gpu to play in general yes, or at least have an integrated one into the cpu or mobo.
And even then you wont run games well enough unless u have a dedicated gpu :D, and if you meant if you need a good gpu to play then i think you do and at least a quad core because the game is very badly ported.

terryd75

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012

Depends on what your existing MBOD has? I assume that you have an onboard graphics, or an existing GPU or you wouldn't be able to use your computer. You need to know what your existing hardware supports. Thn, compare that with the minimum specs found on the game box. If you downloaded the software from the internet, I am assuming that it came with a License? If not, we can't help you with that. Either way, the bottom line is the same. Your exisint hardware must at least support the games minimum specs. Good luck.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Due to the game's rather demanding requirements I would be amazed if a non dedicated GPU could play the game smoothly. So if you are going through integrated
video do not expect very good results.

There is a chance he could have bought it through a digital distribution service such as Steam, so his downloading could have been perfectly legal.
I do agree that he should have looked at system requirements however before hand no matter the case however.

GTA IV performance:

This game is so poorly coded it runs like crap on my system. I have an Asus DirectCU II GTX 680.

Pretty much every other game looks and runs great but not GTA IV.

Even if I crank everything LOW and it looks like crap it's surprisingly demanding.

*The most demanding thing is the VIEW distance.

Anyway, if I put most everything high and the view distance is about 40 I end up with 45FPS. I tried to hit 60FPS to avoid screen tearing but can't do it without a crappy looking game.

**I also tried running at 30FPS (Adaptive half) but that seems to screw up walking and driving movement somehow and it becomes uncontrollable.

So have fun.

(FYI, in BF3 I get 60FPS in the first shooting stage tutorial at 1920x1080 and everything maxed.)