Newbie question about mixing ram

Jimmy_Neutron

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2002
Hello everyone. I was wondering if it's possible to mix different size rams? I use to have a 256 DDR PC 2700 stick of ram, and I just bought another stick of 512 DDR PC 2700 stick, and when I install both, it doesn't boot up, only a blank screen with the computer on. When I install only one of the sticks, it works. Can anyone help? Thank you.

JimmyDean

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
Usually it is possible to mix different ram sizes. I dont know what the problem with yours is, but maybe different Cas latency, PCB Layer, etc?

<b><font color=red>Remember kids, if you see a downed power line, suck on the end, candy comes out!</font color=red></b>

JimmyDean

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
Usually it is possible to mix different ram sizes. I dont know what the problem with yours is, but maybe different Cas latency, PCB Layer, etc?

<b><font color=red>Remember kids, if you see a downed power line, suck on the end, candy comes out!</font color=red></b>

Starion15

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2003
I dont know about the newer boards, but I used to have to put it in from largest to smallest. If you haven't already tried, you could put the two in reverse order in the slots.

DjKlown

Distinguished
May 20, 2003
The problem could lie that your mobo could support the dual Channel ddr function and thats not causing it to boot up. Check and see if your board has Dual Channel ddr and if it does turn it off and and try it.

If that doesnt work and you have more than 2 slots try putting them in Slot 0 and Slot 2(lamens terms the first and third slots)

Mike