Snorklis

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
hi!

When viewing hidden filesystem maps by the operating system itself (not just hidden maps), you see it exists maps with name $extend and $mft. (For example, try to create maps with this names..)
Anyone knows what they are used for by the OS?

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Yea Master File Table for sure, extended as been said probably for the other.

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>

Snorklis

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Extended partition? Why have a folder named "$extended" on every harddrive, hidden from us? What can it be in there? I thought "$mft" could be master file table, but do you know what is actually stored in there? Can you list the contents somehow? :)

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
"but do you know what is actually stored in there? Can you list the contents somehow?"

Hmmmmmmm...

(grin)

You don't, by any chance, use Kazaa, do you?

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Well it could be like the hidden shares on a 2k server, like SYSVOL and uhm netlogon I think it was.

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>

Snorklis

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
What I wanna know is what the operating system is hiding from us in the folders c:\$mft and c:\$extended. Do you know? You cant create folder with this names so they do exist. It must be very important stuff, because you can list the contents in the hidden systemfolder c:\system volume information.

And what does Kazaa have to do with anything of this? Dont confuse me.. :)