Sign in with
Your question

filesystem mystery ($mft)

Last response: in Windows XP
May 2, 2002 12:36:27 PM

hi!

When viewing hidden filesystem maps by the operating system itself (not just hidden maps), you see it exists maps with name $extend and $mft. (For example, try to create maps with this names..)
Anyone knows what they are used for by the OS?

More about : filesystem mystery mft

May 2, 2002 3:20:20 PM

The mft is probably the master file table.

Extended? As in 'extended partition'?
May 2, 2002 6:19:59 PM

Yea Master File Table for sure, extended as been said probably for the other.

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>
May 2, 2002 11:13:38 PM

Extended partition? Why have a folder named "$extended" on every harddrive, hidden from us? What can it be in there? I thought "$mft" could be master file table, but do you know what is actually stored in there? Can you list the contents somehow? :-)
May 3, 2002 3:16:47 AM

"but do you know what is actually stored in there? Can you list the contents somehow?"

Hmmmmmmm...

(grin)

You don't, by any chance, use Kazaa, do you?
May 3, 2002 4:32:08 AM

Well it could be like the hidden shares on a 2k server, like SYSVOL and uhm netlogon I think it was.

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>
May 3, 2002 3:46:17 PM

What I wanna know is what the operating system is hiding from us in the folders c:\$mft and c:\$extended. Do you know? You cant create folder with this names so they do exist. It must be very important stuff, because you can list the contents in the hidden systemfolder c:\system volume information.

And what does Kazaa have to do with anything of this? Dont confuse me.. :-)
!