WIn8 Boot Failure, session3_fail_to_initialize & critical_service_fail

beazer

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
Windows 8 Pro
Toshiba Satellite Pro C850-006 Canadian Model
Bought it with air miles points a couple weeks ago. Nothing installed since I received it, only Windows 8 updates.
I woke up 2 days ago and turned the laptop on to check email and so on. I see a blue screen and a message, "SESSION3_FAILED_TO_INITIALIZE".
I try the Shift+F8, F12, 0(zero) on restart, I can get into BIOS, recovery console and whatever else but nothing works. I try the recovery disc as well and it wont boot even with secure boot turned off and boot sequence enabled for the ODD and with the disc I get "CRITICAL_SERVICE_FAILURE" message.
Everything I try does the same thing, reboot loop with the same messages over and over.
Reset, HDD recovery, tried it all and nothing works.
If the recovery partition cannot even be accessed then could this be a failed hard drive, RAM or a corrupt OS?
Since I got it with air miles, I am still waiting for the receipt so I can find a local Toshiba dealer and get it seen too.

Thanks for any info anyone may have for me, no idea when the receipt will come in so trying to fix this thing in the mean time.

kalten

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Hi Beazer,
Do you happen to have an install disk for windows? any really will do...from xp up.
As your laptop is currently kaput, I would try installing another OS from scratch and seeing if you encounter similar issue with failing to load windows.

If you do then you are looking at a hardware issue, if not then you need to contact Toshiba for a new install disk for Windows 8 (not recovery disks if you can help it...go for a fresh clean install of the OS)

If you have any other information about the errors...some codes for instance those will be helpful to see what may have happened here.