Boot Loader???

Need to install a Boot loader for Win Xp(or 2k)

Have a box with 2 physical HD's... and 2 OS's, Suse Linux 7.3 and LiLo on disk 1, and Win XP on disk2. Both run well and LiLo controls the StartUp/DualBoot/ OS selection.

I want to pull disk1 from the box and use only disk2. But no BootLoader on disk2! Nothing starts when I try using only th XP disk...

Whats the easiest way to install the MS Bootloder/manager to start up the existing OS on disk??? Or any bootloader that'll work?
3 answers Last reply
More about boot loader
  1. just install over it, it wont hurt

you shot who in the what now?
  2. No, it won't hurt.

But xp will become dependent on 98/me. If you ever have to reinstall 98/me, you'll have to do a (shudder) reinstall of xp to load the MBF again.

I prefer a 3rd party (whatever!) bootloader, so that the operating systems are self contained, and completely independent of each other. You can even make them invisible to each other, completely; as in, the OS can't even access the partition, so you never have to configure/take away the drive letter.
  3. Actualy, I just moved disk2 up to be the only one, booted from the XP CD and did a repair, and used FixMbr... That got it...
Ask a new question

Read More

Boot Windows XP