Eurorunner

Distinguished
May 20, 2003
Hi. I am trying to reseat a dimm memory stick in an old P300 machine but it just aint having it. Ive checked the slot - there doesnt seem to be any obstructions. I've checked and double checked that the pins are lining up but it just aint having it. I've used quite a lot of pressure but cant get under the board to support it cos of the design of the ****ey box. At one stage i managed to get the clips closed on both ends but its still not being recognised. Its not slotting in - in the middle most of all - and this is where i get the least support under the m'board - its just not accessable.

Just to double check that i havnt done any other damage......................when i boot it, i get a blank screen - the power is good , the fan is good, can hear the hard drive and the cd-rom...but no post beeps and blank screen - if this sounds like anything other than memory please let me know.

How can i sort this??

Please send the knowledge (or a loaded gun) at the earliest opportunity!

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
I push down one end, lock the clip, then the other, instead of trying to push them both down at once. Works for me.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

Starion15

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2003
I don't know if this will help, but on my old p233, that had EDO memory, I had to put it in at an angle (about 35 degrees). I would get about 35* angle, and then push down and forward at the same time, until it was at a 90* angle. I don't know what kind you have, but thats what I always had to do on my HP Vectra.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Starion15 on 05/20/03 08:53 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Eurorunner

Distinguished
May 20, 2003
Got it sorted. Hard to believe that one has to apply that much force to something soo delicate. The motherboard was bowing under the pressure - i just kept getting more reckless with it as the day went on ..and eventually it gave in.

Bravo, you overcame your, I'm going to break it fear, now its time to build your first complete computer, you are initiated into the computer nerd world, congratulations.

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>

zpyrd, I cut myself some moderately hard rubber spacers, that I slip under the edge of the M/B between the M/B and case surface, to support the M/B during the installation, and it makes all the difference in the world with the installation of the heatsink.

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>