Oh... THAT'S who that was...

Last response: in Home Audio
April 21, 2005 1:36:39 AM

My daughter is finishing up her last semester at Belmont University in
Nashville. She's been really fortunate; went through the undergrad
program in 3 years, and currently is working at the on-campus studios
(Russ Berger designs), teaches at RCA Studio B, and works at Ocean Way.
Oh, and she plays rock & roll bass, and is carrying a full course load
too. I'm way jealous.

So she calls me the other day about the session she just finished
helping with; it was a "live broadcast recording" (they recorded to a
Masterlink; they'll broadcast it on Memorial Day on Sirius Radio) with
a studio audience in the main room at Ocean Way.

She had a great time; she liked the producer (Steve Marcantonio) a lot,
got to set up, run the Masterlink in the control room during the live
mix, and then break down. Perfect. Then she tells me this (in her
words, from her blog of the day):

"Once the magic was over, the CDs burned, the patches pulled, the
people and the food gone, all that was left was to tear down the
tracking room. I like that part of the day, I really do. It's kind of
like the cool-down after a workout - relaxing, reflective, a
recognition of an accomplishment made.

It was then that I made some comment about Sweet Home Alabama being one
of the cover songs they'd done.

"Do you know who this was?" a suddenly serious member of Marcantonio's
entourage asked of me.

Well, yeah, they said they were Johnny & Donnie Van Zant. ...Right?

....What?

I just recorded Lynyrd Skynyrd."

Stink. She has all the fun.

--------------------

Bob Singleton
Singleton Productions, Inc.
http://singletonproductions.com

More about : question

Anonymous
April 21, 2005 11:10:39 AM

Yeah... I sure didn't get what I deserved when it came to kids. I had
no idea what she was taking in while hanging around my recording
sessions; she's already outdistancing me in a lotta ways. And way
smarter than me... it took me 7 years to get through a 4 year program
at University of North Texas.

It's fun to watch though, and catch the vibe.
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 12:08:37 PM

"singproinc" <BobS@SingletonProductions.com> wrote in message
> My daughter is finishing up her last semester at Belmont University in
> Nashville. She's been really fortunate; went through the undergrad
> program in 3 years, and currently is working at the on-campus studios
> (Russ Berger designs), teaches at RCA Studio B, and works at Ocean Way.
> Oh, and she plays rock & roll bass, and is carrying a full course load
> too. I'm way jealous.
>
> So she calls me the other day about the session she just finished
> helping with; it was a "live broadcast recording" (they recorded to a
> Masterlink; they'll broadcast it on Memorial Day on Sirius Radio) with
> a studio audience in the main room at Ocean Way.
>
> She had a great time; she liked the producer (Steve Marcantonio) a lot,
> got to set up, run the Masterlink in the control room during the live
> mix, and then break down. Perfect. Then she tells me this (in her
> words, from her blog of the day):
>
> "Once the magic was over, the CDs burned, the patches pulled, the
> people and the food gone, all that was left was to tear down the
> tracking room. I like that part of the day, I really do. It's kind of
> like the cool-down after a workout - relaxing, reflective, a
> recognition of an accomplishment made.
>
> It was then that I made some comment about Sweet Home Alabama being one
> of the cover songs they'd done.
>
> "Do you know who this was?" a suddenly serious member of Marcantonio's
> entourage asked of me.
>
> Well, yeah, they said they were Johnny & Donnie Van Zant. ...Right?
>
> ...What?
>
> I just recorded Lynyrd Skynyrd."
>
> Stink. She has all the fun.
>
> --------------------
>
> Bob Singleton
> Singleton Productions, Inc.
> http://singletonproductions.com

Belmont's really doing some incredible stuff. When I graduated in 1991 (with
a Bachelor of Music) they had just started building the "new" studio in the
Business Center...most of my studio work there was done in the now-removed
studio in the basement of what is now the Bunch Library, which then was the
business school. It was since I graduated that they opened the studios in
the Curb Music Business Program (lower level of the College of Business) and
acquired Studio B and Ocean Way.

A friend of mine is an associate professor in the recording program
there...your daughter probably knows him, Ken Landers...last year I was
visiting for the first time in years, he took me on a tour of Studio B,
Ocean Way and the on-campus facilities, as well as the new Media Center.
Wow.

Props to your daughter...she's in a great place and sounds like she's doing
extremely well!
April 21, 2005 5:21:28 PM

While it's cool about the Lynard Skynard thing, it's part and parcel of
doing Real Work in the industry. I finally got to watch my xmas copy of
SHADOWS OF MOTOWN about the Funk Bros and went all goggle-eyed seeing Bob
Babbit in the chair... W/grey hair. I never knew...
(the breadth and scope of Things I Don;t Know gets ANNOYINGLY worse and
Hugely Humbling the more I work and learn)
I had assisted at a session in the mid 70's with a producer who was working
with Bongiovi and we were working on a disco record (that could not possibly
have used a horn section from a Well Known Flyboy Service BigBand since they
couldn;t Do that Sort Of Thing... ) and I rememeber this long afternoon
overdub session for guitar and bass parts with these two rude irreverent
childish, obnoxious and HILARIOUS session cats. Lance Quinn and Babbit.
DAMN it was jawdropping to watch what came out of these guys every take...

With THAT said, the REAL gist of this reply is that THIS was the
Bigdamnthing hot part of your story:

> My daughter ...
> went through the undergrad program in 3 years,
> currently is working at the on-campus studios
> teaches at RCA Studio B,
> works at Ocean Way.
> plays rock & roll bass,
> is carrying a full course load

We Are not Worthy....
You musta done Something Right along the way there...
Big Congrats
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 11:18:57 PM

On 20 Apr 2005 21:36:39 -0700, "singproinc"
<BobS@SingletonProductions.com> wrote:

>I just recorded Lynyrd Skynyrd."
>
>Stink. She has all the fun.

"In Birmingham they love the governor
Now we all did what we could do
Now Watergate does not bother me
Does your conscience bother you?
Tell the truth"

I doubt that many of their fans could tell you today what that verse
was all about, but it still gets played on the radio and by cover
bands. I even saw a trio of white rockers from the suburbs play it to
an inner-city mostly non-white audience once. I thought there would be
a riot. Fortunately, neither the rockers nor the audience knew what
those lyrics once meant.

But I remember.

I'll side with Ol' Neil on this one.

Mike T.
April 21, 2005 11:18:58 PM

In article <hnuf61t0g98sag5rab7d4ict4605mkn52i@4ax.com>, Mike T.
<miket@invalid.net> wrote:

> "In Birmingham they love the governor
> Now we all did what we could do
> Now Watergate does not bother me
> Does your conscience bother you?
> Tell the truth"
>
> I doubt that many of their fans could tell you today what that verse
> was all about, but it still gets played on the radio and by cover
> bands. I even saw a trio of white rockers from the suburbs play it to
> an inner-city mostly non-white audience once. I thought there would be
> a riot. Fortunately, neither the rockers nor the audience knew what
> those lyrics once meant.
>
> But I remember.
>
> I'll side with Ol' Neil on this one.
>
> Mike T.

I was clickin around on the tube sometime the past year and there was
the current version of LS onstage playing this. The amazing thing 'tho
was the audience. A whole mess of white folk screaming with joy and
waving big Dixie Flags *everywhere*.

I could only wonder what it would be like to be black and somehow have
ended up at that show.

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

CelebrationSound@aol.com
www.CelebrationSound.com
April 22, 2005 12:46:56 AM

david wrote:
> I could only wonder what it would be like to be black and somehow have
> ended up at that show.

I saw them just outside Nashville back around '98 or '99. I'm a northern
white boy. I gotta tell you, me and my wife didn't make it till the end
of the show. I though we were going to get jumped. I have been to
countless large concerts and never felt this way before. If I didn't
know better I would think someone must have slapped a "Yankee" sticker
on my back. I can't even count how many times we were asked, "Where you
from?". I would always kindly answer "Oh me? I live on the south side of
Nashville over by the Harding Mall, you know?" And they would say, "Yeah
right, but where are you from?" Before the show even started I had a guy
come up to me and ask "Do you wanna go play war games in the woods?" I
don't even know what the hell that means.

We left before the encores. I did not feel welcome. I can't even imagine
how a black guy would have felt. I honestly don't remember if I even saw
any black people there, but I would have to say probably not.

--
Eric

Practice Your Mixing Skills
www.Raw-Tracks.com
www.Mad-Host.com
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 1:16:49 AM

EricK wrote:

> I saw them just outside Nashville back around '98 or '99. I'm a
northern
> white boy. I gotta tell you, me and my wife didn't make it till the
end
> of the show. I though we were going to get jumped. I have been to
> countless large concerts and never felt this way before. If I didn't
> know better I would think someone must have slapped a "Yankee"
sticker
> on my back. I can't even count how many times we were asked, "Where
you
> from?". I would always kindly answer "Oh me? I live on the south side
of
> Nashville over by the Harding Mall, you know?" And they would say,
"Yeah
> right, but where are you from?" Before the show even started I had a
guy

Been in Nashville since the late 80's and
still get this a lot. I'm from NE Ohio.

> come up to me and ask "Do you wanna go play war games in the woods?"
> don't even know what the hell that means.
>
> We left before the encores. I did not feel welcome. I can't even
imagine
> how a black guy would have felt. I honestly don't remember if I even
saw
> any black people there, but I would have to say probably not.

Saw them at Starwood in July '03.
Girlfriend got some promo tickets so we went.
The sound was terrible (whole seperate thread)
The lighting was bad, too. They were trying to
videotape for a DVD and the lights and cameras
for that helped ruin the show.
There was the typical drunk/slobbering/wasted/
passed-out people everywhere.
(Why do these guys always attract the lowest
common denominator ?)
What really topped it all was some Jerk pissed
on my shoes standing in line for the latrine.
That's when we left.

I enjoyed seeing Donnie with .38 Special several
times and got some great pictures.
Only a few months before the July '03 show
the band I was working with opened for Johnny
VanZant Band at a club in Nashville.
It wasn't all that bad.

Maybe I'm getting too old for this stuff.

rd
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 1:56:38 AM

Sounds like the time I was on stage as part of the Walkabout Clearwater
Chorus, and suddenly realized a tall, elderly banjo player was standing
a few steps behind me. "He didn't rehearse with us... Oh. It's Pete.
Uhm, well, he hasn't announced himself or told me to shaddup so I guess
I should continue singing..."
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 8:04:12 AM

What's up with the brothers web page saying that Johnnie Van Zant was a
*charter member* LS?
I don't recall either of them being anywhere near the band...were they?

PapaNate
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 1:06:36 PM

And sometimes it happens when you thought all that effort would go to waste.
My older son used to be quite interested in what I did in computers in the
early 80s, learned how to run programs to play games and then write the
games but simply gave up.

Today he's employed doing network design and corporate tech work, mostly
based on what he learned from me. But I thought he'd never end up taking up
on it. Couldn't get him to sit down and learn about building computers at
19 when it would have started him off pretty well. But something stuck, and
I'm pretty positive that his discovery of his abilities had nothing to do
with my efforts.

Now we talk and he asks me questions and I ask him to refresh my memory! <g>

Next task is to get my younger son (22 next month) to get involved with the
art of video production work.

But back to you and yours. Congratulations to your daughter for her efforts
and accomplishments. And I'm sure somewhere along the road there will be a
big thank you coming. Of course, as parents, we already know the thank you
is the achievement of a child getting their life together. You done good.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio
> Yeah... I sure didn't get what I deserved when it came to kids. I had
> no idea what she was taking in while hanging around my recording
> sessions; she's already outdistancing me in a lotta ways. And way
> smarter than me... it took me 7 years to get through a 4 year program
> at University of North Texas.
>
> It's fun to watch though, and catch the vibe.

Anonymous
April 22, 2005 1:27:09 PM

Certainly Johnnie was always around, as I recall. But he was just a
hanger-on little brother. The fact that he could sing just like Ronnie
didn't hurt (and he got to do so in sound checks), and although the newer
members could still sound like Skynyrd, I never felt they had the same umph.
I gave up on their concerts 25 years ago after running across about 15 other
bands that could sound just like Skynyrd too (and played with a couple), and
they didn't cost as much to go listen to.

All the same, I applaud the guys for keeping up the tradition of the music,
but let's face it, it's still a 70s song list and we all have the
recordings, right? Would anyone still go see the Allman Brothers if they'd
kept to the same set list after Duane died? To me, Live at Filmore East
does the job for that era. But how about that Derek Trucks!

--

"Papanate" <nospamagain@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
> What's up with the brothers web page saying that Johnnie Van Zant was a
> *charter member* LS?
> I don't recall either of them being anywhere near the band...were they?
>
> PapaNate

Anonymous
April 22, 2005 1:42:23 PM

"Mike T." wrote:

> On 20 Apr 2005 21:36:39 -0700, "singproinc"
> <BobS@SingletonProductions.com> wrote:

> >I just recorded Lynyrd Skynyrd."
> >
> >Stink. She has all the fun.
>
> "In Birmingham they love the governor

Have to point out: what they sing is:

"In Birmingham they love the guv'ner: boo, boo, boo
Now we all did what we could do"

You can deplore their indifference to Watergate,
but they weren't singing the praises of ol' George...

Henry Salvia

> Now we all did what we could do
> Now Watergate does not bother me
> Does your conscience bother you?
> Tell the truth"
>
> I doubt that many of their fans could tell you today what that verse
> was all about, but it still gets played on the radio and by cover
> bands. I even saw a trio of white rockers from the suburbs play it to
> an inner-city mostly non-white audience once. I thought there would be
> a riot. Fortunately, neither the rockers nor the audience knew what
> those lyrics once meant.
>
> But I remember.
>
> I'll side with Ol' Neil on this one.
>
> Mike T.
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 4:56:39 PM

On 4/22/05 12:16 AM, in article
1114143409.681483.74560@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com, "RD Jones"
<annonn@juno.com> wrote:

> EricK wrote:
>
>> I saw them just outside Nashville back around '98 or '99. I'm a
> northern
>> white boy. I gotta tell you, me and my wife didn't make it till the
> end
>> of the show. I though we were going to get jumped. I have been to
>> countless large concerts and never felt this way before. If I didn't
>> know better I would think someone must have slapped a "Yankee"
> sticker
>> on my back. I can't even count how many times we were asked, "Where
> you
>> from?". I would always kindly answer "Oh me? I live on the south side
> of
>> Nashville over by the Harding Mall, you know?" And they would say,
> "Yeah
>> right, but where are you from?" Before the show even started I had a
> guy
>
> Been in Nashville since the late 80's and
> still get this a lot. I'm from NE Ohio.
>
>> come up to me and ask "Do you wanna go play war games in the woods?"
>> don't even know what the hell that means.
>>
>> We left before the encores. I did not feel welcome. I can't even
> imagine
>> how a black guy would have felt. I honestly don't remember if I even
> saw
>> any black people there, but I would have to say probably not.
>
> Saw them at Starwood in July '03.
(SNIP)
> (Why do these guys always attract the lowest
> common denominator ?)
> What really topped it all was some Jerk pissed
> on my shoes standing in line for the latrine.
> That's when we left.

> Maybe I'm getting too old for this stuff.

Never.
Manners are ALWAYS de rigeur and it knows NO caste boundaries. But like
rights, without regular aggressive enforcement, they vanish.
Stupid People is Stupid People...
Think if you were a 50ish quiet, stalwart, classic Angel and he'd pissed on
your immaculate boots...
Manners, son... Manners...

There are decent bikers...
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 7:12:12 PM

On 4/22/05 9:06 AM, in article DY-dna1vZoQRa_XfRVn-rQ@rcn.net, "Roger W.
Norman" <rnorman@starpower.net> wrote:

> Next task is to get my younger son (22 next month) to get involved with the
> art of video production work.

Really?
But I thought he needed a Job...
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 7:14:57 PM

On 4/22/05 10:06 AM, in article BYOdna55k8wwmfTfRVn-qA@rcn.net, "Roger W.
Norman" <rnorman@starpower.net> wrote:
> (SNIP) I've
> always told my children that if you don't want to be in a circumstance,
> don't do things that put you into that circumstance. Somehow I can't seem
> to get that across - to myself. Typical "do what I say" situation! <g>

The Coach does not have to be able to RUN the plays in order to be worth
heeding.
April 23, 2005 1:54:35 AM

In article <gFY9e.10996$c42.7360@fe07.lga>, EricK <eric@raw-tracks.com>
wrote:

> david wrote:
> > I could only wonder what it would be like to be black and somehow have
> > ended up at that show.
> >

> I saw them just outside Nashville back around '98 or '99. I'm a northern
> white boy. I gotta tell you, me and my wife didn't make it till the end
> of the show. I though we were going to get jumped. I have been to
> countless large concerts and never felt this way before. If I didn't
> know better I would think someone must have slapped a "Yankee" sticker
> on my back. I can't even count how many times we were asked, "Where you
> from?".

Maybe cuz you still had all your teeth??? ;>

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

CelebrationSound@aol.com
www.CelebrationSound.com
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 5:32:14 PM

Nope, he's now a floor manager at Tower Records, which kinda means he still
needs a job! <g>

--

!