How to delete unwanted folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

yester64

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
Hello, i just wonder, after you install a program and you don't like it and you uninstall it there will be always a folder left, maybe some entries in the registry.
What is the best way to get rid off these unwanted things? Is the manual deletion the only option?

Thanks

serenatous

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
There are programs out their that do it for you, but i personally dont use them.

For example you can try this one, it does have good reviews in general but im sorry i can not vouch for it personally as i have not tried the program myself.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

yester64

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
i tried the software. Seems to be interesting but it did not do what i want it to do. It may work if you uninstall a program, but once its already gone and left some empty folders it doesn't count them.

serenatous

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
According to : http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_uninstall_features.html

"Revo Uninstaller Pro scans for leftovers with even more advanced algorithms that are so precise, fast and very effective in search for leftovers of Windows Services, Drivers, File associations, Shell Extensions, COM components, Windows Installer components, program settings and more!"

So their uninstaller should uninstall things completely.

So after installing this you should be able to uninstall programs completely with it, but if you meant left overs of older uninstalled programs i think "what's in the past is past" it cant probably clean up after a previous uninstall if that is what you mean :)

Hope this helps :)

yester64

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
Actually thats what i meant. Kind of what i thought. I'll guess in order to remove something, there needs to be some kind of record.
So in the end, you do end up with some unused folders if not uninstalled correctly. But most programs leave folders and just delete the content of it. :(

serenatous

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
They do tend to leave a file and 1 document, + some registry. But from what i understand if you would use their software it searches for everything related to the program you want to uninstall to completely wipe it clean and its traces.

Status
Not open for further replies.