Sign in with
Your question

Shuttle PC (noise reduction)

Last response: in Components
May 20, 2003 10:11:31 PM

(Didn't knonw where to put this post)

Hey,

Does anyone know if it's possible to grommet mount the fan and the hard drive(s) on the Shuttle PCs, and if that would do anything noticeable to reduce the sound?

-Kallenin
May 24, 2003 5:30:30 AM

Why would you want to? The thing is garbage!

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>
May 24, 2003 12:25:35 PM

Why?

My CPU fan spins so fast that it creates a wormhole :eek: 
Related resources
May 24, 2003 10:10:29 PM

I think I summed it up a while back. Look at the reasons people buy these things. They buy them as a portable PC for LAN parties, but they don't even have room for some video cards, and lack the power needed anyway. They also lack room for drive expansion. A Micro ATX tower would be a far better choice for gamers.

Other people use these things for HTPC. Well, to begin with, there are several ATX and Micro ATX case that are actually made to LOOK good in a home theater rack, being about the same size as a home audio receiver, and having the styles to match. Additionally, since the width of most home theater racks is fixed at around 18", the additional HEIGHT of the narrower cube (which looks stupid sitting with your home theater components anyway) causes it to use MORE space on the rack while offering LESS internal space for components.

So the only two "good" uses for cubes are actually better served by Micro ATX.

May 25, 2003 6:12:58 PM

Well I read plenty enough posts about users that put a Radeon 9700Pro without problems.

Not that I will ever buy one, but they sertaintly do look nice... and they're also very interesting for budget company PCs (well some version with SiS chipset are) because of the price and small size.

May 25, 2003 11:11:20 PM

Actually they cost more than Micro ATX board/case/power supply settups. And they don't save you any space. Think about it, they are wider than most Micro ATX towers, so they take up a larger footprint on your desk. And they are taller than most Micro ATX desktops, so they take up more space on a home theater rack.

So they cost more, take up more space, perform worse, and offer less expansion. If you need small form factor business systems, I suggest book-sized PC's.

May 26, 2003 5:18:55 PM

They're taler? We got 31 of those PCs ar school and those things sure are small.

May 26, 2003 10:47:13 PM

svol, may i suggest something ? bring a nice duffle-bag to school one day... i mean, since they're *so* small, you can easily fit two or three in there, lol :lol: 

<b>I like big butts - and i <i>can</i> lie</b>
May 27, 2003 3:13:47 AM

Yes, they are taller than an ATX desktop (desktops are horizontal cases) and they are wider than ATX towers (towers are vertical cases).

On the other hand, they are shorter than towers and narrower than desktops. But since they are taller than desktops, they take up more space in a home theater rack. And since they are wider than towers, they take up about an inch more width from your desk.

May 27, 2003 12:12:39 PM

Yeah I came to that idea too... but you aren't allowed to take bags inside the computer room.

May 27, 2003 8:16:02 PM

hmmmm, no bags huh... well, you can always have someone come in and grab 'em and run... not that hard to do if the door out isn't too far - just get someone who can run real fast

May 28, 2003 12:54:22 PM

Well their is an exit pretty close. The room is located on the first floor, on the ground there is an extra exit and 10m away of the exit their is a parking place... sounds like a plan.

May 28, 2003 3:21:08 PM

hahaa, you see? Its not that hard, trust me. Last summer I worked as a security guard at the main school-board buildings, two 12 floor buildings full of stuff. They've got two server rooms too, and then a few racks here and there. One of the rooms is constantly attended, the other isn't at night (there are 24 hours of shifts), and I've been scheming to grab some racks for the past little while, especially seing as i know where all the cameras are located and everything, heh. Last time I worked there (about 3 weeks ago) I found two IBM 10k rpm SCSI drives (37.8Gig) that I decided I'd grab next time i work there... heehehheh.

But if you can safely grab a couple, then definitely go for it dude - I mean, make sure that its someone that no one knows (but that you obviously do) that comes in, when you happen to be in the computer room (so you can unplugg them in advance) and then grab 'em and run, and you can "accidentally" slow down anyone who tries to stop him :wink:

May 29, 2003 11:15:33 AM

Hey I'm no thief! And I'm done with school so it would be kinda strange to try to get into the PC room.

May 29, 2003 3:32:56 PM

Hahahahahahaha don't worry Svol, I won't tell anyone :wink:

!